High poly head

Hateful_kat

I have a detailed 6k poly, 6k vertices human head (as opposed to the default 4k poly, 2k vertices Oblivion one).

How do I make it replace the default Oblivon human head? I can use Autodesk Maya, Blender (begginer).

I also have the Niftools package.

Is it UV mapped? If so then what race do you want it to replace? Most races (Men and Mer) use the same head, Orcs use another, Khajiit another, and Argonians another. To replace them you just need to replace the 'headimperial.nif' in the 'Meshes/Characters/Imperial' folder.

Is it UV mapped? If so then what race do you want it to replace? Most races (Men and Mer) use the same head, Orcs use another, Khajiit another, and Argonians another. To replace them you just need to replace the 'headimperial.nif' in the 'Meshes/Characters/Imperial' folder.

It's not, yet. I didn't know how hard it would be to port it to the game so I didn't work on that part until I learned more. Yes, the one I want to replace is the Imperial.

However, that head also needs the egm and other files for animation compatibility

Oh brother, how do I change those? And is new, updated animation really needed?

I mean, it's just a head, it rotates to the left, to the right and a bit more.

The egm and tri files are for the sliders in the character creation (making your face unique). Without them the game wouldn't let you change the head at all. Which would lead to some pretty boring looking NPC's. They can be made using this tool (I think). The UV mapping may be the hardest part, and it is confusing to do if you don't know how.

Let me clarify things a bit, the head I plan on using is the one from Singular Inversion\'s Facegen software, the very same that is at work in Oblivion. Using this program, I photofitted a face onto the more detailed head. After exporting it as obj, I have all the needed textures.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7248/difference.jpg

This is the huuuuge difference in detail between the two models.

Well I exported the head from FaceGen as .obj, imported it into Nifskope then saved it as nif.

I made a new custom race in CS, pointed the head model to my model, the texture to the one I got from FaceGen and saved the esp.

I activate it and ingame when I select my custom race, it crashes.

Does anyone have any idea why?

Do I have to do something more in Nifskope apart from importing the obj and saving as nif?

I'm new to all of this, so don't be too harsh on me.

Try using The Conformulator. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9360

Even though you already have an object file, export a new one from the nif in Nifskope into the directory of the nif your custom race points to. In the Conformulator select a tri file from a vanilla head mesh and use your object file as the hair.

I'm not saying this is going to work for you. There is probably something that I've forgotten, it has been a long time since I've done this and I recall that it was very frustrating. But this is the direction you need to move in. :yes:

Try using The Conformulator. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9360

Even though you already have an object file, export a new one from the nif in Nifskope into the directory of the nif your custom race points to. In the Conformulator select a tri file from a vanilla head mesh and use your object file as the hair.

I'm not saying this is going to work for you. There is probably something that I've forgotten, it has been a long time since I've done this and I recall that it was very frustrating. But this is the direction you need to move in. :yes:

Thanks for your time, I followed your advice to the letter, but no cigar.

It won't even load the mesh in CS.

Archived