Mirai, a young custom voiced follower[WIP]

kaleidx

Mirai, the Girl with the Dragon Heart

http://i.imgur.com/9vA0pK0l.jpg

Meet Mirai:

Mirai[mur-aye] is a young Breton mage living alone in the harsh frozen wastelands of Skyrim for close to a year. Originally from High Rock like the rest of her kind, you'll be quick to learn a situation with her father caused her to seek refuge alone in the lands of the north. What the situation was, however; she's not as open about. Mirai had always been a delicate girl, a fawn under her mothers protection -- a sheltered life but with the adventurous heart of a dragon. As such being forced to learn to become more independant so quickly was a struggle but found a way to carry on. Her long time alone in Skyrim has begun to have an affect on her once sweet demeanor and now comes off as a much more abrasive, distrusting, overall 'cold' person to others. Her front comes to falter from time to time as at the very heart of her being she is still the same delicate girl she once was and perhaps just needs someone to open up to to help her solve the problem that continues to plague her from the inside out.

If you'd like to experience her questline without spoilers read no further!

Her backstory is subject to change. It's a simple idea to get her started and shape her personality as in all honesty I'm not 100% set on a central conflict for her questline. I was thinking along the lines of her father murdered her mother but still have not thought of a motivation. Bouncing the idea around that it's not her real father which leaves lots of avenues open for motivations for what I want the end result to be in every possible outcome, she has the ability to shout. But then that also implicates her mother knew all along and I'd really like to keep her as a positive figure. I dunno, I'm open to any ideas as I have not recorded any lines for her quest yet.

Meet the Dev:

First and foremost this is my first modding attempt of any kind of any game. Simply put the amount of easily accessible material and modding tools made available by the amazing Skyrim modding community and the sheer amount of easy to follow tutorials, etc has made it easy enough for someone as dumb as me to pick up and get started quickly. I've been using tons of mods made by others for months now and have always wanted to add a personal touch of my own to Skyrim and give back to the friendly community. I've become a little intimidated with scripting but I'd really like to continue learning so I can really bring Mirai to life. So keep in mind that this is primarily a learning experience for me and I'm a bit of a procrastinator if you decide to follow my project. I decided to create this thread now since I'm at a basic, barebones, playable phase(atleast I think so anyways)and would like some feedback on my progress as well as the opportunity to find people willing to help or test down the line.

Progress:

• Final model completed, although open to suggestions on appearance
  • Final outfit decided, permissions granted
  • Home & schedule decided, testing consistency
  • Basic follower functionality
  • ~100 lines of spoken dialogue recorded, ~10 unused

To Do:

• Finalize backstory & history
  • Start questline
  • Write script
  • Record unknown # of lines
  • FINISH!!!

Undecided:

• Marriage capability/dialogue/quest, maybe if this mod is popular enough
  • Different body, model, etc versions; don't think I'm really patient or smart enough for it

Multimedia & Other:

http://i.imgur.com/wcYVATfl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JJ9qGnnl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WLxQaJnl.jpg

OLD

So she looks nice but how about her voice, right? I understand that can really make or break a custom voiced follower as I read about some feedback on the amazing mod that is Vilja whom I aspire to reach some day. But I can say with confidence, I managed to find an amazing voice actress whom I feel fit my character perfectly. While it may not be of amazing quality, I present to you Yui Hisaishi as Mirai in this crudely put together demo.

I understand you might think she's extremely bipolar in this example but I simply enabled both positive and negative responses for the purpose of the demo. Hopefully I'll make something a bit more enticing at the release of this mod.

UPDATE!

A much more proper video and a short trailer for her story line.

Frozen Meets Game of Thrones, anyone?

Anyways, I hope you fall in love with the idea and concept of Mirai so far as much as I am in love with bringing her to life. I welcome and appreciate any feedback, coments, wishes, ideas, questions, or anything else of that nature to help me achieve that goal.

Edited by kaleidx

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The voice acting is stone solid, this will get alot of attention. I like the outfit, stylish but untilitarian, just the way I like it. No skimpy stuff is a nice bonus. Looks are not to my personal taste (bit to pretty) but hardly a dealbreaker (I'll take any custom follower as long as the voiceacting is good :).)

Suggestions. Hmm, A costom staff maybe? Coments on various locations is always good for immersion. As is comments on diffrent opponents, maybe an aversion to spiders or undead. Add a funny reaction if she is with you when your naked. Maybe add something for us that use stuff like UFO and AFT, maybe comments about other followers in the party. That's about it.

It'll be fun to see the finished product

Looks really good so far, excellent voice + responses. Will definitely be following this one.

As for suggestions: I would try to add things that make her feel like an individual who has her own personality and doesn't just revolve around what you do, ie things/places/people she likes/hates and will act on (not just comment)

Edited by falloutreign

Looks really good so far, excellent voice + responses. Will definitely be following this one.

As for suggestions: I would try to add things that make her feel like an individual who has her own personality and doesn't just revolve around what you do, ie things/places/people she likes/hates and will act on (not just comment)

This, should have added that myself.

Also, snappy one liners in combat could be cool

"My you're ugly, nothing a fireball to the face can't fix!"

(Terrible, but I never claimed to be a writer :)

Voice is really good, and the character background seems promising as well! I really hope this project comes to fruition. I agree that adding different bodies/models is more effort than it's worth. As for the romance/marriage stuff, I'm sort of ambivalent on the matter but loads of people seem to love that kind of thing, so it might be a good idea. Maybe just make her marriable after her questline but only add a quest and stuff it people request it?

I knew people would love the voice and was one of the things I knew I had to be critical on given the experience I had in reading some of the comments on other custom voiced mods; something soft, easily understandable, and feminine was my goal. I know I scored big so If you want to check out her YT channel and listen to the rest of her amazing work: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1JEJ91p9_bWCzdRaU3ICcQ

The voice acting is stone solid, this will get a lot of attention. I like the outfit, stylish but untilitarian, just the way I like it. No skimpy stuff is a nice bonus. Looks are not to my personal taste (bit to pretty) but hardly a dealbreaker (I'll take any custom follower as long as the voiceacting is good :smile:.)

The outfit is using the skirt from the West Wind Misfit series which I have yet to get permission to use but hopefully I'll get to use it because I feel the same way. I wanted something practical but at the same time fit her young, teenage, girly personality so I wanted her to show a little skin and that skirt was perfect for it. I agree her looks may be a bit on the glamorous side especially if you're looking for a lore friendly experience. Maybe I can dial back the eyelashes and flawless face a little. :blush:

As for random comments, definitely something I'd like to add more of. As of right now it's a few lines of the most obvious stuff like the weather, heights, darkness, etc .. but I hear lots of complaints about followers talking too much so I just really gotta find a sweet spot for that. She can also be real meta to add a little humour if you paid attention to some of her lines in the vid as in mocking Lydia in her imfamous line when asked to carry something or wondering where she's going to put all the stuff you give her.

Thanks! I would really love to flesh out her personality some and actually already had a little something in mind as a start but what do you mean by act on exactly? Like .. force a conversation to stop you from doing something?

Also, snappy one liners in combat could be cool

That's something I think I have plenty of already of about 20 total taunts. :cool:

lovely voice ... jackpot :smile:

Thank you! I'll pass on the kinds words to her. :)

Voice is really good, and the character background seems promising as well! I really hope this project comes to fruition. I agree that adding different bodies/models is more effort than it's worth. As for the romance/marriage stuff, I'm sort of ambivalent on the matter but loads of people seem to love that kind of thing, so it might be a good idea. Maybe just make her marriable after her questline but only add a quest and stuff it people request it?

I hope so too! I have plenty of time and I'm just limited by my own ability to learn how to do all these things but using other mods as guides in an attempt to teach myself is really helping.

Anyways, I know this site is very known for being touchy on some subjects and I feel someone is going to complain that you shouldn't be able to marry a teenager. So like you said, maybe if enough people like this mod and request that specific feature.

Edited by kaleidx

Sounds good, I hope to see more :smile:

Just noticed that he smile is a bit creepy to, hah!

I thought so too after I posed it! The full resolution pic looks so much better, maybe I should consider finding a new cover pic for this, haha! :pinch: But thank you, knowing people are looking forward to it really keeps me motivated.

I will definately keep a close eye on this, most follower mods is just a pretty girl and that's it. I can get the same effect my CCing an NPC and drag them around. So far I have found ony six other follower mods that can compare or exeed oficial content in terms to execution, and only two of them have solid voice actors. So you're already ahead of the curve. I would suggest you check out Inigo, it's my favorite follower mod and the one I use the most.