No scamps in Whom Gods Annoy

Mr_Lunt

Here's a strange glitch that I haven't been able to find a solution for online.

I'm playing a second run through Oblivion with a few mods and get to the quest "Whom Gods Annoy." I remember using the scamps as training since they keep coming back. But they are nowhere to be found. No breathing sounds, no missing mesh boxes, no nothing.

I've gone as far in the quest as receiving the staff, which at this point they should be following me. But nothing.

Any thoughts?

I've read through this similar post

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/750420-whom-gods-annoy/?hl=%2Bwhom+%2Bgods+%2Bannoy&do=findComment&comment=6065889

though he has way more mods than I do and no solution was found.

Here are my data files including mods in load order:

Oblivion.esm
Kvatch Rebuilt.esm
Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm
Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp
UOPS Additional Changes.esp
Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp
Natural_Water_by_Max_Tael.esp
Natural_Vegetation_by_Max_Tael.esp
Natural_Weather_by_Max_Tael.esp
Natural_Weather_HDR_by_Max_Tael.esp
Harvest [Flora].esp
DEJ Harvest - Flora.esp
ImperialCityHouse.esp
GrayFoxArmor.esp
Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp
DLCFrostcrag.esp
Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
DLCVileLair.esp
Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp
DLCThievesDen.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
Knights.esp
OOO-Dangerous_Traps.esp
OOO-Armor_Perks_WearRate_Repair.esp
Mounted_Spellcasting.esp
Mounted_Trampling.esp
Living Economy - Items.esp
Living Economy.esp
OOO-Magic_Script_Effect_Fix.esp
OOO-Level_Stock.esp
OOO-Container_Trap_Instant_Effects.esp
OOO-DLT_Remover.esp
P1DkeyChain.esp
OOO-DLT_Immersion.esp
OOO-Magic_Effects+Enchantments.esp
OOO-Magic_Effects+Spells.esp
OOO-Potions.esp
OOO-ThiefGuild_Difficult.esp
OOO-Water_Weeds.esp
OOO-BirthSigns.esp
OOO-Combat_Skills_Perks_Marksmanship.esp
OOO-DaedraLord_Quests.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

You haven't dropped the staff somewhere and then 'used' the scamps for training have you? Here's a quote from the UESP Wiki for Whom Gods Annoy:

To be able to drop the staff, you only need to progress the quest to stage 60, afterwards you can leave the caves and freely drop or pick up the staff as you please. The Everscamps will continue following you until you kill them. At which point they will go back to the staff. This can be considerably useful as you can decide when to use the scamps to train and afterwards leave the staff, and the scamps, to continue playing normally. If you ever decide to finish the quest all you have to do is bring the staff to the cave like you would normally and drop it off.

Nope. I haven't seen them at all during this run. And I've only gotten as far as receiving the staff for the first time. Though I haven't wanted to save at that point since I know they're supposed to have shown up by then. So my save is still when the lady has the staff, after I've spoken to the mage at the guild.

This has me curious because there is no missing mesh box. It's like the game doesn't even know that they're supposed to be there in the first place. As far as I know this quest is in vanilla Oblivion, correct? I'll try and do a little more research to see if any of these mods could affect this quest.

Any thoughts at all are appreciated.

Yes it's a vanilla game quest. Do you recall hearing Leyawiin townsfolk talking about strange noises coming from her house (or got that topic when clicking Rumors). I'm wondering if the quest is even running. What do you get when you open the console (tilde key (~) right below the Esc key) and then enter 'getstage ms43' (no quote marks)?

Actually, I may not have spoken to any townsperson about the noises and smells and just skipped since I already knew what to do.

When I type "getstage ms43" (without the quotes), it gives me "GetStage >> 30.00" back (again, without quotes). And after looking up what all of this meant (thanks for the command line tip), it turns out that 30 does correspond to where I currently am on the quest.

Do you think using the setstage command to set the quest's stage back to 10 would cause any permanent issues to my save?

Unfortunately quest stages can't be reversed. You can advance them using the console but there's no way back. I'm afraid you're going to be looking for different training dummies. I've never tried jumping straight to speaking with Rosentia myself (matter of fact she's still an unexplored conversation topic for all the Leyawiin citizens for my current guy, so I should go back to an old save and see what happens).

- Edit - Your problem isn't caused by how you started the quest. When I got to her house the scamps were there and I haven't talked to anyone to start the quest. Did you see any mods in common with your list in that old thread you posted in about the problem?

Edited by Striker879

You're right. I tried going back to stage 10, but all that happened was the quest message box came up talking about townsfolks' curiosity about the lady's house and the smell coming from it, but my current quest stage didn't change. So now that part of the quest line is in my journal, but still no scamps.

I hope this problem is specific to this quest and not whenever there's supposed to be a scamp.

Thanks for your input though. I appreciate your time.