HTPC-gaming rig planning stages

Yes but mine is done without sacrificing things, i may need to get a quieter heatsink though. Considering the h80i starts up like a jet engine.

Something like this one, coming from experience heat pipes is the way to go.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103100

That passed mesh aluminum slider will cut down the noise to :thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.

Yes but mine is done without sacrificing things, i may need to get a quieter heatsink, considering the h80i starts up like a jet engine.

Well, you can replace the radiator fans with some others (2x Scythe SlipStream 1150RPM sound good) and use two Y-splitters to connect both them and the pump to the CPU fan connector (and of course, use voltage control so the pump can slow down, that's usually the noisiest part of a liquid cooler).

Or you can build a liquid system yourself to cool both the card and CPU, which is usually quieter than a pre-built system. That's what I have in plan for my PC, once I can actually afford the parts that is.

I'm taking it slow, I'm buying each part individually along the way. Sense they are reasonably priced, except video card.

Sense its just the case thats different, i might just throw in my 7950's in there for the time being.

I might just get that heatsink just in case something happens along the way, its always to be safe then sorry.

Edited by Thor.

My setups going to look cool ehh, i will take pictures once its all setup inside my glass console table. It cuts down the clutter by 70%, not to mention easier to carry around when needed. :thumbsup:

The build will start start Christmas, early on in the new year.

Edited by Thor.

I might just get that heatsink just in case something happens along the way, its always to be safe then sorry.

Ermm, you may want to get a better cooler then Gemini, that thing is silent and small but I'm pretty sure the CPU will boil with that thing once turbo kicks in. My cooler, which is a lot more efficient than Gemini, was struggling with an FX 8320 when I enabled turbo.

If it can fit, I'd suggest a Scythe Grand Karma Cross 2, that thing is a great cooler and you can replace the fan with a more silent one if necessary, though I doubt it'll fit. Scythe Kabuto 2 can also be considered, a bit more efficient than Gemini if I recall correctly. Scythe's Big Shuriken and Kozuti are crap for an FX-series CPU, don't even consider those.

The best one I can think of when it comes to air in a small case is the Noctua NH-C14, it's hard to come by around here in Croatia but that thing performs exceptionally well, 140mm high. Once the CPU is stressed it starts sounding like a jet engine though, it has 2x140mm 1200RPM fans that make around ~46dB worth of noise, but it works very well with those set to 700RPM where they make much less noise and it'll definitely keep the CPU cool.

The most silent and efficient solution in such builds is a custom-built CPU+GPU water loop, which is also the most expensive one that costs anywhere from 300-700$, depending on what parts you take and where you buy them. I don't know how much money you're willing to spend on building this thing, so I don't know what component price-range is to be targeted.

Thanks for the suggestions Werne, I might go that route with a quieter fan, considering that heatsink is massive, sense that is designed to be a home theatre pc, it probably won't fit anyways.

One thing livin in North America is that we are world renown for having everything :D

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5592441&CatId=798

Dange Noctua is expensive, but if you want high end and quiet :blink: . Also the review its massive, i don't even know it would fit :blink: .

I can't find the karma cross or the others, though i may need a smaller option.

I had to laugh at this pic

http://static.pcinpact.com/images/bd/news/92103-noctua-nh-c14.png

Edited by Thor.

Well, the Fractal Design Node 605 you've considered taking is 164mm high, looking at the case it seems like the mobo is secured to the bottom metal sheet, meaning you should have ~140-135mm of clearance from the CPU to the upper case panel. The cooler is ~130mm in height, so it should fit juuust about snuggly. It'll work right only if the case has a mesh on the top panel though. Do check the dimensions and detailed case specifications first though.

Also, the upper fan can be removed if necessary, though I'm not sure how that thing would perform without it.

By the way, that case has 2x120mm fan mounts on one side which can accommodate for a 240mm radiator, so... can't you just use your H100i? That would be a silent solution, and the least expensive one.

Thats a good idea, it certainly would be a great upgrade from what i have now, question i need to make sure this works out before i do anything drastic. 100% guarantee... I'll double check my findings.

LOL i think this will be the first water cooled HTPC-gaming rig to date, that fractal design case changes everything. Its going to be AWESSOOMME!!.

Whats that thing in that console table of yours, just my Ultra High end HTPC gaming rig. Getting excited. Certainly would be easier to carry around when needed..

It would have the feel of a steam machine :thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.

LOL i think this will be the first water cooled HTPC-gaming rig to date

Far from it. The first HTPC/gaming rig I've seen with a custom water loop was in 2002, and it wasn't the first (second for that guy, he built his first one 2 years prior), so you're more than 13 years late. :tongue: