Changing/Updating OS's

So I don't know what you'd call it. Restoring files, backing up files, etc. But I'm just looking to see if anyone out there has any good tips or advice on how to restore/move your files when you get a new operating system.

Skip to the bottom if you're not interested in the long details, but don't get mad at me if you ask something that I already noted in there and I call you on it.

My cousin just got a new PC, their old one is like ancient in computer terms, we're talking older Celeron with Windows XP running slowly on it. Since she and her husband are barely computer literate, I get to set it up for them. I've done this probably about 10-15 times in my lifetime, but it's always a long process. Their new system is Windows 8. I'll run the update for 8.1 of course.

The new system is a complete stand alone, so I don't think I'll be moving any hardware over from the old system except the monitor and peripherals. Which is partially good, because I don't have to actually back up files, I can just take them off the old hard drive. The bad thing is, the old system is old, so it uses IDE. I couldn't find anything in the specs to see if the new system has an IDE port or not and it hasn't shipped yet for me to physically look at it. I can get around this, even if I have to take both systems to my place and use the vacant IDE port on my desktop.

So I would have to say the two biggest PITA's when doing this would be obviously Windows related. Number one being the number of user based configurations and files that Windows likes to bury in little subdirectories under Users. Locating which ones are important and moving them and figuring out if they're relevant for programs I don't use will be fun.

The second problem comes with the way Windows is set up. Back in Dos (yeah, showing my age), or even older Linux systems, you could basically just copy a directory and the program would run. The way Windows is setup, with certain files going into the user directories, and necessary .dll's and external files going into Windows and System directories, you can't always just copy a directory from the Program Files dir, and expect the program to run. Which usually means a PITA process of reinstalling old software, trying to locate disks you had from 5-10 years ago, programs that you didn't have a backup of that were downloaded off the internet, etc.

Oh, then I forgot the joy of having to figure out how to disable and/or remove whatever virus scanner the manufacturer put on the system so avast can be installed.

So anyways, TL;DR, anyone have any good tips or advice on doing a system update?

Thanks

So anyways, TL;DR, anyone have any good tips or advice on doing a system update?

Transferring programs from one Windows version to the other is damn near impossible. You can mix and match software on Linux and most other UNIX-like systems (done that a bunch of times) but even transferring programs WinXP -> WinXP bears a question of will it work, WinXP -> Win8 basically means nuke it from orbit and start from scratch.

Plus, the locations of data change each Windows version and finding where everything goes (and where everything is on the original installation) would take long enough for Windows 9 to get superseded by a new release. That's why my Windows updates go like this - back up the Users folder and anything else of value (like game mods and browser data if I can find where it is) onto Debian, factory format the entire HDD with dd (conveniently nicknamed Disk Destroyer), install Windows from scratch. Simple, effective and leaves no loose ends.

Upgrade tool will force you to run the 32-bit version of Windows 8.

On any PC old enough that you'd be OK with a 32-bit version, Windows XP is better than Win8 anyway.

Anyway, the answer is, moving things from the User-related folders is fairly straightforward. A few names are different and that's it. Don't even try moving applications this way, however.