Stupid weapon plaques and racks, how do they work?!

Jokerine

Hello! I have a bit of a problem with my latest mod, which I have spent the last week working on.

I made a house with some display plaques and weapon racks, the way I always do, and they usually work fine. But now, in this mod, they simply refuse to work the right way. I can put weapons in them, but then I cannot remove them, and the racks and plaques still show the "activate" option when hovering.

I had the same problem with display cases, so I ended up removing the plaque activators on them so they are sort of just tables with glass on top. I also got rid of the one mannequin, as it was impossible to interact with it, and replaced it with a bear statue. I don't mind these last ones too much, but it would have been better if it could have been fixed somehow, as well... My bookshelves are working fine, at least.

The only different thing I did this time was make a custom location for my house, as I wanted to have a bard so I needed to put in the Inn keyword so she would play at random intervals. But even after I set the house to have no location at all, the racks still refuse to work.

So, I was wondering if anybody more knowledgeable than me would mind taking a look at my mod so far, and maybe they could help me fix the displays. I really want to have this house be fully functional :(

Thanks for reading, and sorry if I'm rambling. Hope someone can help me out! :)

The best way I've found to add a weapon or armor rack etc to my house is to go find it somewhere else in another vanilla cell and copy it, then paste it into my house cell. There is also a mod that supplies a room with all them for you to copy over but then I think ya need to remove your mods dependencies on that one. Here this is it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11618/?

A very common mistake with weapon racks is to set an "enable parent" on the activator. Bethesda even made this mistake with some vanilla racks, which the USKP has been slowly finding and fixing. The problem is, anything with an "enable parent" cannot be enabled or disabled via scripts, which means when you place an item on the rack, the script cannot disable the activator, so then you can't get your item back because the enabled activator is covering it up.

So, make sure your activators do not have any enable parent set. If you have something like a room decorations xmarker as in most vanilla player houses, it is sufficient to set the enable parent of the trigger; whenever the trigger is disabled because of the xmarker, it will take care of disabling its linked activator.

I'll take a look for you tonight if you still need help. I just finished putting a bunch of weapon racks and plaques into my modded house so have gotten into a routine that's been working well for me so far.

Thank you, if you could help, I would really appreciate it! I know it's a lot to ask, but if you could also help me get two display cases (there is a big one and a small one) working, and maybe replace the bear statue with a working mannequin, I may just have to pay you with a pound of flesh. Thank you so, so much!

Edited by Jokerine

Not sure what you tried for the display case but the one in the master bedroom is working now.

Just needed to add the orange WeaponRackDisplayACTIVATORPlayerHouse and the blue WeaponRackDisplayPlayerHouse and link them together using the correct keywords.

As for the weapon plaques, you had everything set up right. The problem was that the collision mesh on those walls extends way out from the actual wall, inline with the strip of stone that runs through the middle of the wall. So, to put a plaque in that location you have to bring it out from the wall enough that the plaque mesh is in front of the walls collision mesh. See below:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2psi0qs.gif

I didn't mess with you weapon racks because the one in the main corridor (at least that's what I'm calling it) appears to be working fine, so just follow that setup for the rest of them. If you have any problems with other weapon racks, check that the walls collision mesh isn't blocking the weapon rack. Click F4 with the render window selected to show collision meshes.

Hope that help. Good luck!

Sorry about the double post, but despite my valiant efforts, the racks are still not working, same with the mannequin. I moved them as far from the wall as I could, but the rack still eats up my weapons, the mannequin cannot be interacted with, and the display cases won't take my weapons despite having them equipped. The plaques work, although the activator text to remove them is far to the right, but at least you can get the weapons back...

I tried with the mod you linked, Valkyrie, and it seems to be working for the time being, so at least there's that. Thanks for the link :)

Edited by Jokerine

Which cell are you looking at? I noticed you had a few that had been edited.

I was testing in the aaaPelagiusWingRestored cell and I couldn't see any mannequin in there and the weapon rack in the corridor (that has the sword hanging in the middle) was working fine for me.