All mods removed, clean reinstall, still crashing

taichidevil

I recently downloaded Vortex and tried Nexus Mods for the first time. I got the SKSE, the unofficial SSE patch, a couple of collections, and a few mods I remembered from the list you can access from within Skyrim's in-game menu. Crash, crash, crash. Even with everything disabled, I couldn't play. So I deleted Vortex and went back to the in-game mod manager. Crash, crash, crash. I disabled absolutely everything, even the patch. Plain vanilla now crashes no later than when the dragon attacks Helgen. I deleted Skyrim from Steam and reinstalled it. No help. Vanilla still crashes. Any ideas? Are the old downloads from Nexus still being used even though I got rid of Vortex? Thanks in advance.

I would start by completely deleting your SSE ditectories under steamapps/common and under Documents/My Games. Also, if there is anything under AppData/Roaming/Vortex.

Then do a really clean download/install and try running it 100% vanilla. No SKSE or anything. If that works, get Vortex back, get proper SKSE64 version and get it installed and set up under Vortex. Remember that after this, you only launch via SKSE loader under Vortex.

If you get that working, start adding core stuff... AddressLibrary, PapyrusUtil SE, Racemenu... not really sure which USSEP version one should get today.

And I would stay away from collections. No idea who compiles those.