What makes skeletons fall apart?

Omny

I wanted to try some experiments with modding involving skeletons, but the biggest mystery I have is figuring out how exactly their bodies fall to pieces when they die. I've looked through all the different files via the Creation Kit and SSEEdit: NPCs, keywords, scripts, spells/perks, animations... I can't seem to figure out how it works, or even what I should be looking for. Does anyone have an idea?

Most likely a race-specific death animation that does not constrain body part nodes to each other.

Interesting. So, if I were to find this animation and apply it to a non-skeleton NPC, or edit their own death animations, they'd fall apart too? I had an idea to make a mod similar to my Skeletonizer mod for New Vegas, but in Skyrim. I imagine I could easily do something similar to the FEC mod (one of my favs and initial inspiration for Skeletonizer), but instead of simply falling down and turning to bones, it'd have them sort of freeze in place, turn into a skeleton, and then fall apart. I'd settle for just a skeleton if I couldn't get the falling-apart bit to work, but it'd be hilarious if possible.

I haven't actually got Skyrim or any of my modding tools installed so I can't experiment with it right away (I uninstalled them so I could focus on other art projects without distractions). But when I have time I'll see if I can work on it myself.