ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Script to set "Alarms" in Geoscape

whcl

Hi Guys

Not sure how many are struggling with the super speed of Geoscape scans, but I find it almost impossible to stop the scan on a particular date without "save scumming" and using trial and error combined with consecutive double clicks of "Start Scan"/"Stop Scan".

One helpful tool would be being able to set "trigger time" in the Geoscape that would automatically pause the scan (like when an item is finished in Lab or Workshop). Ameniri (Long War Mod) mentioned that she had found some code which controls events or time when this occurs.

My preliminary idea is to have a script, outside of the XCOM game, which can set an "Alarm" (causing the Geoscape Scan to pause) a specific date and time.

For example:

I am playing XCOM LW at the end of July and I decide I need to build an Uplink (21 days to build) and 3 Satellites (25 days to build) by Aug 31 23:59 in order to optimize cashflow. Immediately after I receive monies from the Council for Aug I will buy 3 Interceptors (takes 3 days to arrive) for the country with the new Satellites.

I exit XCOM and start up the patch to set the following alarms:

Aug 6 23:59 - to start building Satellites

Aug 10 23:59 - to start building Uplink

I start XCOM again and the alarms are set in the "To Do List"

After Council sends monies to XCOM, I would immediately order 3 interceptors.

Is this feasible?

Edited by whcl

It seems to me like a very convoluted way of doing it.

A more reasonable approach would be to figure out a way to just slow down the time progress by a given percentage.

Personally I am planning to get rid of the satellite up-links by setting number of satellites per uplink to 16, increasing the price of satellites and lowering the production time to a few days, so that not everything in the game revolve as much around timing of those satellites which makes no sense in the first place (why would aliens with space ships search on earth to find flying objects? Why would XCom make money from satellites? Taking papa-razi photos of rich people and black mailing them into giving money or what? Why are alien abductions affected by satellites the aliens don't even know about, etc).

The more I think of them I really hate them :)

Hi Bertilsson

Thanks for your response. It is quite cumbersome, but given what little I know, I thought that this would be the easiest to implement. At times it feels like I need to use a Task Planner (like Visio etc) in order to play the strategic part of the game anyways :sad:. I began thinking of a Task Planner mod specific to XCOM which could insert "alarms" in the game -- hence my suggestion ...

I had originally raised the issue of multiple speed settings of Geoscape Scanning (like in original X-COM) in another post. However, Ameniri (Long War) had considered this in the past but was unsure how to handle the GUI aspect in the Mission Control screen. I would be interested in trying your idea as well, but I'm concerned that this would have major impact on game balance.

BTW, sorry for late report back on the results of your latest patch. I tried it on my other computer at home and was able to downgrade with "XComDownP6toP4-450-P6toP4v1" and install "LW 2.12b4" after a few tries. I verified it was EU Patch 4 and everything was working. However, the game is crashing during the tactical mission so I hv gone back to playing the XCOM installed on my HTPC (which I had used with your "XComDownv0_7" and "LW 2.12"). This version still crashes once in a while (especially when using suppression). Not sure if this is problem with my set-up, LW or the DownGrade patch, but I never had this problem in LW 2.12 before I had to DownGrade.

Looking forward to spending Xmas Holidays on my couch with a hot cup of cocoa killing aliens (made possible by you)!! Once again, thanks for all your hard work!! :woot:

Edited by whcl

This probably isn't exactly what you're after but it might be sufficient for what you want if the issue is that the Geoscape time goes too fast.

Open the file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini

( or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini

for EU )

Under the "[Engine.PlayerInput]" section, paste:

.Bindings=(Name="U", Command="slomo 0.5")
.Bindings=(Name="I", Command="slomo 1") 
When you're at the Geoscape, before you hit Scan, press "U" and this will slow time by 0.5 and the scan time will pass by slower . Then just press "I" to return time to normal. You can of course change this to 0.25 or whatever suits you, as well as specify which keys to assign.

I think you might have posted a similar request in the ToolBoks thread which I didn't get around to replying to, so I apologise if you did :smile:

EDIT: It seems that TB doesn't play well with another "slomo" line being added, so you'll get an error in TB when it tries to load those settings.

Edited by bokauk

Hi Bokauk

U R AWESOME. will try this soonest! :dance:

EDIT:

DOH! I am using a GamePad (playing on HTPC in living room). Is there a way to change this for the GamePad since it disables the KB?

Edited by whcl

You can find the names of the buttons for the XBox controller in that same file :smile:

Try these names taken from DefaultInput.ini:

-Bindings=(Name="",Command="Use")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A",Command="Jump")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",Command="ChangePosture")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="NextWeapon")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",Command="")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",Command="|onrelease showmenu")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder",Command="obj list")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder",Command="mem")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up",Command="MoveForward")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down",Command="MoveBackward")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",Command="TurnLeft")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",Command="TurnRight")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger",Command="Fire")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger",Command="ToggleTargetingMode")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTriggerAxis",Command="Axis aLeftAnalogTrigger Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.11")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTriggerAxis",Command="Axis aRightAnalogTrigger Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.11")

For example:

.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A", Command="slomo 0.5")

:smile:

You can find the names of the buttons for the XBox controller in that same file :smile:

Try these names taken from DefaultInput.ini:

-Bindings=(Name="",Command="Use")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A",Command="Jump")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",Command="ChangePosture")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="NextWeapon")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",Command="")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",Command="|onrelease showmenu")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder",Command="obj list")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder",Command="mem")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up",Command="MoveForward")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down",Command="MoveBackward")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",Command="TurnLeft")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",Command="TurnRight")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger",Command="Fire")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger",Command="ToggleTargetingMode")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTriggerAxis",Command="Axis aLeftAnalogTrigger Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.11")
-Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTriggerAxis",Command="Axis aRightAnalogTrigger Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.11")

For example:

.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A", Command="slomo 0.5")

:smile:

thanks!

should I paste the new line(s) under the "[Engine.PlayerInput]" section as well? This section appears to be for KB+Mse option (which is disabled if you choose GamePad). Soooo close !!!!

Sorry ... I know my coding skills are pathetic : (

Edited by whcl

I never use a controller for XCOM, so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I took a look at it for you anyway and unfortunately couldn't get it to work. Doesn't seem you can even rebind controller buttons in the options menu? Unless I missed something, that's terrible! God I hate console-esk restrictions lol :sad:

When I was making the Hot-Keys mod for ToolBoks, I realised how poor the user input for this game is, with specific keys bound to a specific function from what I remember.

If you can't get it to work via the config file, you might need to delve into UPK editing, which seems a bit overkill for something that seems so fundamental.

Let me know if you have any luck with the config file route though :smile:

EDIT: I think Drakous79 might be the keybinds guru, so maybe ask if he knows in this thread.

Edited by bokauk

Thx for the assist!! I'll let you know if I make any progress

BTW, as I hv been harping about for a while, PLZ give the GamePad a try! I was playing XCOM with KB+Mse for almost a yr before I switched over to GamePad (started playing XCOM on HTPC in living room). Despite the odd deficiencies, the movement mechanics (esp changing elevation in tactical) is MUCH better than KB+Mse (which is quite buggy).

Regards,

Edited by whcl

I never use a controller for XCOM, so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I took a look at it for you anyway and unfortunately couldn't get it to work. Doesn't seem you can even rebind controller buttons in the options menu? Unless I missed something, that's terrible! God I hate console-esk restrictions lol :sad:

When I was making the Hot-Keys mod for ToolBoks, I realised how poor the user input for this game is, with specific keys bound to a specific function from what I remember.

If you can't get it to work via the config file, you might need to delve into UPK editing, which seems a bit overkill for something that seems so fundamental.

Let me know if you have any luck with the config file route though :smile:

EDIT: I think Drakous79 might be the keybinds guru, so maybe ask if he knows in this thread.

Hi bokauk

FYI after a few fumbles got it to work!!

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/839767-keybind-commands/page-8&do=findComment&comment=10759320

thanks for all your help!