Should I buy SE or AE?

MateusVolrath

If you buy what is called 'Skyrim Special Edition'(SE) (currently $40 on Stream), what you will ACTUALLY get is Skyrim Anniversary Edition (AE), but without the complete Creation Club bundle.

In general, at this point, SE refers to game version 1.5.97, which is what it was until October 2021. Any game version that is 1.6.xxx (currently, latest update being 1.6.640), is considered AE.

If you buy "SE" on Steam, you get the base game version 1.6.640(AE), plus some CC content such as Survival mode, Fishing, Curios and Relics, Saints and Seducers.

If you buy the $50 "AE" on Steam, you get that same base game v1.6.640, plus all of the CC content. (If you already had the base game, this CC content is available for $20 as 'Anniversary Upgrade')

I don't have it, so I have nothing to say about this extra content, and if it is worth an extra $10.

You can downgrade the game to 1.5.97, but I am pretty sure that would cause any cc extras to stop working. But of course, you can always revert it back to latest version.

Why downgrade? MOST core Skyrim mods have now been updated to work with latest AE versions. But there are some systems (such as NetScript Framework) which were never updated to work past version 1.5.97.

If you buy what is called 'Skyrim Special Edition'(SE) (currently $40 on Stream), what you will ACTUALLY get is Skyrim Anniversary Edition (AE), but without the complete Creation Club bundle.

In general, at this point, SE refers to game version 1.5.97, which is what it was until October 2021. Any game version that is 1.6.xxx (currently, latest update being 1.6.640), is considered AE.

If you buy "SE" on Steam, you get the base game version 1.6.640(AE), plus some CC content such as Survival mode, Fishing, Curios and Relics, Saints and Seducers.

If you buy the $50 "AE" on Steam, you get that same base game v1.6.640, plus all of the CC content. (If you already had the base game, this CC content is available for $20 as 'Anniversary Upgrade')

I don't have it, so I have nothing to say about this extra content, and if it is worth an extra $10.

You can downgrade the game to 1.5.97, but I am pretty sure that would cause any cc extras to stop working. But of course, you can always revert it back to latest version.

Why downgrade? MOST core Skyrim mods have now been updated to work with latest AE versions. But there are some systems (such as NetScript Framework) which were never updated to work past version 1.5.97.

Oh, I see. So no matter what I buy, it's still AE. I was running almost 400 mods last year and my brother never downgraded, so I think I was already using AE all along xD

Thanks for the help man <3