Aren't MOD's illegal?

bluesky200

Hi guys,

I was have thought this for ages... well ever since I knew MOD's for computer games existed, which was about 6 months ago (yes I am quite new to PC games, lol)

But aren't MOD's illegal.... since it says in the game manual that we are not to modify the game in any way.....

I wonder what Bethesda think of all these MOD's?

Any discussion would be great

Cheers

Mods boost the sales since buyers have access to new content, keeps the franchise alive, give the developers ideas for upcoming games and whatever.

Don't you think that no one would've shut down such huge/old modding sites like the Nexus if it was illegal? What Beth thinks? The developers, that released the Creation Kit to the public? The guys that supply the community with tutorials to handle it and? Skyrim, that has an own mod platform on Steam?

Trolling :D ?

Edited by ghosu

Bethesda released the creation kit themselves, and are known to openly support mods. Most any game that does not have a focus on online gameplay is very open and accepting about mods now-a-days.

SELLING the mods you make however, is very illegal.

For the most part, statements disallowing modification to the "game in any way" tend to mean the source code, as in changing the core programming to implement new codes to the engine that allows for new features, such as putting in a different physics engine other than Havok, for example.

If mods were against The Elder Scrolls' EULA, then Bethesda wouldn't have released the Creation Kit, then made a few tutorials on how to use it, and then go so far as to partner with Steam to host and publish player-made files.

Hi guys,

I was have thought this for ages... well ever since I knew MOD's for computer games existed, which was about 6 months ago (yes I am quite new to PC games, lol)

But aren't MOD's illegal.... since it says in the game manual that we are not to modify the game in any way.....

Cheers

I am not trolling at all.... I for one use a lot of MOD's for Skyrim

Buty I just wondered.... as sometimes when I play the game with MOD's I wonder if I should be feeling guilty or not

: )

Mods boost the sales since buyers have access to new content, keeps the franchise alive, give the developers ideas for upcoming games and whatever.

Don't you think that no one would've shut down such huge/old modding sites like the Nexus if it was illegal? What Beth thinks? The developers, that released the Creation Kit to the public? The guys that supply the community with tutorials to handle it? Trolling :D ?

Sorry had to post again as I quoted myself

Buty I just wondered.... as sometimes when I play the game with MOD's I wonder if I should be feeling guilty or not

Hi guys,

Cheers

Have you read any of the posts? Bethesda themselves released the modding tools. Bethesda is the company who made Skyrim. Bethesda released tutorials and videos showing how to mod your game. Bethesda partnered with Steam Workshop to help people get their mods to the public. I think they allow it if they gave people so many tools to use.

This thread is nonsense!

Yeah, you should feel VERY GUILTY and DIRTY ! Shame on you!

http://www.policeone.com/policeone/data/Jinan-SWAT-articleimbed.jpg

Now they have your IP and public confession, Anti-Mod SWAT Team is coming for you!

Edited by ghosu

Didn't you hear? Since everyone download mods and don't buy new Bethesda games/dlc anymore they forbibben any form of modding in their games. If you, criminal scum, download a mod Bethesda will personally send you an Imperial guard to your home. The fine is: YOUR BLOOD!!!

Mods for Bethesda's games are not illegal, no. Not only did they release modding tools but they also release tutorials on how to create mods and in MW, when they first started allowing mods for their games, where very active in helping early modders figure out how to use said tools. Now they even make sure to mention interesting mods on their blog and facebook pages on a regular basis.

Trust me, if mods were illegal there would be no Nexus family of sites dedicated to them. Dark0ne is very adamant about mods conforming to copyright law.