Whats causing this misplaced lantern?

CaptMidnightuk

Could be a couple possibilities.

The dock may have been moved and the lantern forgotten.

The dock may have been moved along with the lantern but another mod overwrites the lanterns position.

The dock or lantern could have had their mesh positioning changed inside the NIF file causing visual displacement. (unlikely but technically a possibility)

There could have been a hanging post intended to hold the lantern but it got removed.

Really, the only way to know would be to load up your entire load order in SSEEdit and look up the reference records for the dock and lantern. This will let you know what mod(s) may have fiddled with their positions. You could then create a small patch plugin that re-aligns the lantern while keeping the appearance of the light and lantern that you want.

Thanks for help I believe I found the suspect but can't be certain.

JK's skyrim all in one appears to be doing it

literally disabled everything except that (started new game) I figured it was done by something that places new buildings but not sure why it would move a lantern way out there.

Location south of South Brittleshin Pass.

there's a CC fishing patch on JK's all in one page but that doesn't help

But surely more people would have reported it if the mod caused it hmmm

if you want to correct it, just create a small patch esp with correct positioning.. small edits like this can be corrected mid-game and shouldn't affect your save... load order is also important... unless you checked the patch and found that it doesn't contain the correct placement, it could simply be that the patch is loaded before another mod making the same change