Has Anyone Else Modded Their FO4 Into A Shoot And Loot Battle Fest?

edgeburner

I have. Just got tired of the same ol' same ol' . I use mods that beef-up/add more enemies, increase loot, make shooting accuracy count, reduce spawn times to 48 hours, increase hostiles and friendly spawns, add multiple companions....It's casual and just fun. Let's face it, the game is going on 8 years old. how many times can you challenge yourself in survival difficulty before it becomes a repetitious drag? I still run the story up until acquiring the courser chip, after that, nah.
Ever headed out with three jacked robot companions? One with two auto lasers, one with two gattling guns, and one with two cryro's? Comical carnage.
Thank God for mods.

To me the challenge is simple - make it post-apocalyptic 210 years removed with no support structure.

a) Simple actions only (i.e. Break, Bolt, Lever, Pump - or variants of those - i.e. a Single Shot Falling Block - Martini Henry).

b) Manual reload only - no magazines. I make 1 exception: CROSS Ruger MkV with the Non-Lethal mag (CO2 - single shot) used as a Syringer.

c) Remove hitscan.

d) Remove the +% damage modifiers from Receivers or the +Damage % from weapon mods - the ammo does the damage.

e) Make ammo only found through killed enemies, loot or through late game crafting. No vendors sell ammo - it's actually scarce then.

Handgun lead spamming doesn't exist - not without some work at least.

Rifle lead spamming doesn't exist - not without some work at least.

Shotguns are deadly - but you need to risk it for the biscuit to get close enough.

Makes you think twice before picking a fight......

I'm just saying that what makes the game boring is lead spam - regardless of difficulty.

Said from 8 years of playing it.

My favorite mod in the game is the Mk23 SOCOM, it's just too OP even with the 12 rd mag - let alone spamming semi/full auto with 20, 30 or 50 rd mags.

Remington Model 11 belongs - because it is tempered by a 5rd capacity and a hand reload. I can actually be caught between reloads with that - unlike a combat shotgun.

Edited by fraquar

My point was to change the game into a FPS shoot-out. Lead spam actually doesn't matter in my game, its how you shoot that lead. Even veteran raiders will show up with power armor, and, you had better blow that lid off quick if you want to kill him before he kills you. I have coursers spawning in with institute spawns, high level Super Mutants, high level gunners in power armor, SKK combat stalker with NPC's travel with jacked up settings...48 hr spawning, etc...
Again, its just a change-up, something different. I've done the whole hobble your character thing....It just gets old after a while. :)

Lead spam is everything.

Pistols with high capacity mags make Revolvers irrelevant - even though those revolvers should be firing higher alpha damage ammo.

Ex. If I made a mod that introduced 220gr Subsonic .308 - everyone on the planet would want to shoot that out of a Semi-Auto .308 rifle. The problem is there isn't enough energy to cycle that - you need a Bolt-Action rifle to fire that. It should be restricted to such weapons as a Remington 700, McMillan CS5, etc.

This is where I make my assertion that "lead spam" ruins the game. It makes every other method of weapon action gameplay irrelevant.

Imagine you had an HK51 and was told you COULD NOT use 220gr subsonic .308 out of that? The first thing you'd do is say screw that, I wants what I wants - and it destroys game balance.

By lead spam I meant the amount of ammo recovered via looting. I understand the way this game screws-up the caliber damage and the chambering aspect. There are different projectiles for most caliber bullets. Take the .50 for instance, in the game it should do more damage that the .308, but, the difference is not that obvious.
Agreed that you should have to throw the bolt on higher cartridge/caliber rounds, but, I use mostly 5.56 in semi and auto.

My point is not to achieve real-world ballistics, just to change the game up.
Interesting read Herehttps://backfire.tv/chart-of-all-rifle-calibers-in-order-and-their-power/

Two of the hardest decisions I've had to make is how to implement the two pistols I like probably more than anything except the CROSS Ruger MkV into the game (that thing is just sweet - but useless in .22LR) - and not break the game.

Mk23 SOCOM and Desert Eagle (thanks for that dilemma NovaFinch).

Only way I could balance them was by completely nerfing their range - to make them literally close quarters handguns. The further they could do full damage, the less any other weapon made any sense to have in the game. I mean you can literally pimp both out to snipe anything you can see by default.

To do that I used the Distance Measurer mod, configured the weapons the way I'd use them and adjusted their Range to 50 Yards. Anything beyond 50 Yards and they did reduced damage - and it was my way of letting me know - hey bub - you got more than 1 weapon for a reason.....

50 Yards is NOT 50 on the Range of the weapon. It's literally 50 Yards when you tag the target with the laser in the Distance Measurer mod. It's not very far, but far enough for the role those pistols are designed for in my game - up close and personal. HK51 is at 100, Walther WA2000 is at 200+, which covers my 3 weapon covert ops weapon set - all courtesy of the DIA Caches in the Railroad.

Of course. I enjoy establishing a death-to-workshop pipeline using the many specialized and morbid contraptions offered by Better Manufacturing and its offshoots + building elaborate infrastructures of conveyor belts and flipped auto-doors that leverage heaps of corpses into the disassembly line. Settlers are outfitted with overpowered weapons and waves of attackers are generated using SKK Settlement Attacks. Only problem is, what do I do with all the caps and components?

I've found that a scaling system makes the most sense.

Ex. Lets say I have a pistol (SOCOM) that fires .45 ACP (game ammo), +P, Super and also has a conversion to .460 Rowland.

Base game ammo is FMJ-RN - it is everywhere. In containers, in shops, on bodies. There is no JHP, FMJ-FN bullets though, it's just one bullet.

To get the other bullet types, I have to find +P ammo - except it isn't easy to find. Got to kill a lot to find a little. I can't simply craft 1,000 and be done with it.

If I find +P, I can use it to craft the Super and Rowland variants (level/perk requirements).

So where I find myself is: I got ammo that does more damage than the base game .45, and a weapon that can fire it (not all can) but do I fire it or save it?

Even if I fire it - how? Do I use it in a sniper role (where a longer barrel does more damage with the same ammo type), or just spray it willy-nilly?

In summary - I do a LOT, and I mean a metric ton of LOOTING - to try to find what I need to make my weapons perform better. By the time I reach the end game, I've been through the gauntlet - and can finally craft my own bullets and ammo. Can't do that at level 1, or even 20.