ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

How do I add interaction options to a static object?

HangmanMatt

I am learning the creation kit and this is my first attempt at ever making a mod. I want to add a car that has interaction options similar to power armor. Button 1: interaction, button 2: inventory.

My basic idea is that if you put a single fusion core in the cars inventory, then use the interaction button, the car will start and rumble. But, if you put two fusion cores in the car's inventory, then use the interaction button, it will explode. Do I need to add a script for that or is there an attribute I could edit into the static object to make it work?

Edited by HangmanMatt

In general, Static isn't supposed to be interacted with, so no.

Pop-up menu looks like a good solution indeed, then it should be Activator object. Assign Model from that of a car.

PowerArmor is Furniture, so might create new Furniture with a dummy Interaction point and enabled Container (or maybe actual sitting in car animation too). There will be Transfer and Enter, because for whatever reason Activate label replacement isn't applied. Also, CantUseAtThisTime message pops-up if no animation keyword is specified. ps. Unfortunately, BlockActivation() allows to avoid that message and to display custom activation label but also disables Transfer option.

Either way, need a script including two event handlers OnItemAdded() and OnActivate() or just one of them, might look at PowerArmorBatteryInsertScript as some reference. Destruction method varies, can be placed explosion or integrated Destruction data + DamageObject().

More interesting is how to add small interaction spot on a solid model (let's say Trunk) and how to assign inventory filter for such a container, but actually it's even more curious how to disable such filter for PowerArmor itself.

Edited by hereami

I am learning the creation kit and this is my first attempt at ever making a mod. I want to add a car that has interaction options similar to power armor. Button 1: interaction, button 2: inventory.

My basic idea is that if you put a single fusion core in the cars inventory, then use the interaction button, the car will start and rumble. But, if you put two fusion cores in the car's inventory, then use the interaction button, it will explode. Do I need to add a script for that or is there an attribute I could edit into the static object to make it work?

An static can not be activated, you need to use at least an activator, given that you want to use an inventory you must use a container. In order to add additional activation options you need to use a perk.

There you have a video that explains how to create an activation option through a perk:

Edited by DieFeM

You can't add multiple interaction buttons, but you could open a menu to give you those options.

Idk why you'd "turn on" a car though

I wanted to make a quest that a mechanic asks you to put a fusion core in the car and turn it on but give it an inventory like power armor. If you put more than one fusion core in it, the car revs up too much and explodes. Think about it like the hubologist questline where when you put four fusion cores in the ride instead of three, their heads explode.

In general, Static isn't supposed to be interacted with, so no.

Pop-up menu looks like a good solution indeed, then it should be Activator object. Assign Model from that of a car.

PowerArmor is Furniture, so might create new Furniture with a dummy Interaction point and enabled Container (or maybe actual sitting in car animation too). There will be Transfer and Enter, because for whatever reason Activate label replacement isn't applied. Also, CantUseAtThisTime message pops-up if no animation keyword is specified. ps. Unfortunately, BlockActivation() allows to avoid that message and to display custom activation label but also disables Transfer option.

Either way, need a script including two event handlers OnItemAdded() and OnActivate() or just one of them, might look at PowerArmorBatteryInsertScript as some reference. Destruction method varies, can be placed explosion or integrated Destruction data + DamageObject().

More interesting is how to add small interaction spot on a solid model (let's say Trunk) and how to assign inventory filter for such a container, but actually it's even more curious how to disable such filter for PowerArmor itself.

I didn't know that PowerArmor was categorized as furniture. This might be what I am looking for now that I think about furniture in the game. I will take a look and report back if I figure anything out.