placing objects in water

Ok this is an old question that i didnt get an answer to...

As some of you know ive been making some new boats for the game and have yet to figure out what has to be done to allow them to be placed in the water (by the player)...

Ive tried a few things like adding snap points to get them to snap to stuff but its not very handy this way because player has to build around the boat so that its Z isnt too high or too low ....

What i need is a free placement method so they can place the boats next to a dock without the hassle of having to build specific parts that the boat will snap to ...

Any help appreciated...

Note: all of the models have proper collision

also note: ive tried various keywords in my attempts like "allowplacementinwater" ,anything is ground,stackable etc...

and just now i even tried adding a long log under the hull so it touches ground... :P

Edited by greekrage

the problem is that im making the items for everyone and not just users of placing mods...(many newer players dont use them ).. As it stands..the vanilla game doesnt have any workshop objects that can be placed in water aside from the purifier that still touches ground..... so this means i dont have anything to copy or see how it works to allow free placing in water...

I didn't understand the question. You take an item (boat) and place it in the workshop in the water. What is the problem? But I do not know. Maybe this is not possible in the vanilla workshop? I've been using Place Everywhere since the beginning. Without Place Everywhere, the workshop is essentially useless.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424

Then I don't know. I don't see how you can use the workshop without Place Everywhere. In vanilla, all building functions are 90% cut.

Although this option ... Attach an invisible mesh to the bottom of the boat. Give it a bsEffectFx material with idle marker settings, or a havok material (for bones). It must have a collision. Then the boat will touch the bottom and it will be possible to write it in ck.Although, you probably don't even need an extra mesh. Just make a collision so that the collision touches the bottom.

Edited by South8028

Seeing as how there aren't any workshop assets set up this way, I do wonder if it is even possibly without the use of placing mods. That said, tarberries are workshop work objects but are tarberries buildable from the workshop? If I recall, they float, right. I never make workshop buildable objects myself within my settlement mod so my knowledge base is not too large, but can workshop buildable objects be setup like packins? If so, could you somehow use the FloatingPlatformHelper01? What about Buoy_Bell_Green01?

Any scriptable solutions?

Any scriptable solutions?

Like this TestTownINVScript.psc . Would cut fingers for making it without variable properties and with fixed Z, also runs like crap, but still something. Though not a problem to fix and recompile on pc, i guess.

I'd say that buildable mooring to snap with isn't that bad idea. Unless floating on waves is really achievable at run time.

Edited by hereami

Hmmm... interesting 'challenge'. Making a collision which touches ground doesn't seem viable to me. As it would require the water to have a specific depth. (or it will stick out to much or look half sunk)

The fact that there isn't anything similar doesn't bode well though. Adding 'place everywhere' as a semi-requirement might be your only option.

Anybody who is into serious settlement building will be looking for place everywhere in no time anyway, I suspect. I know I did and that was the very first mod I installed, although I practically never use mods during a first playthrough, the annoyance was just to great.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find something.

edit:

So far its a mystery to me.

I can find nothing to indicate the 'waterline', as to determine what should be above and below it.

Its not the Z value and there doesn't appear to be a collision type for it. Neither is there something akin the navmesh.

Dropping any of the fishing boats onto the water with CK makes them float above water (using the z value or collision) instead of sinking in a bit.

Checking on placed fishing boats, I notice they all have a different 'waterline', but again nothing (that I can find) to indicate where it should be. Pointing towards manual placement.

I didn't experiment with a workshop version, but in case it uses the water as "ground" (the boat is completely above water) it might help to use the Z value/plane as 'waterline' for your object and/or leaving out the 'underwater' part of the collision. In case the boat sinks to the bottom ... no idea.

Edited by RoNin1971

"Hmmm... interesting 'challenge'. Making a collision which touches ground doesn't seem viable to me. As it would require the water to have a specific depth. (or it will stick out to much or look half sunk)"

the depth of the collision in the ground, it seems, can be adjusted by bsConnectPoint with the name P-WS-Origin. But I don't know what "ground" is in the vanilla workshop.

"Hmmm... interesting 'challenge'. Making a collision which touches ground doesn't seem viable to me. As it would require the water to have a specific depth. (or it will stick out to much or look half sunk)"

the depth of the collision in the ground, it seems, can be adjusted by bsConnectPoint with the name P-WS-Origin. But I don't know what "ground" is in the vanilla workshop.

well when i tried the "log" trick i was using for placement in a port /dock near land where depth isnt that much and it would easily touch the surface...

I think the issue is also a keyword issue and the fact that water isnt a surface but an effect with no collision .

Maybe i need to force a placement at a specific " Z" that all ocean height is... but i dont know how to do that..

Edit: I remembered that GM fishfarm stuff had some overrides...im going to try to reverse engineer those floating platforms...

Edited by greekrage

well when i tried the "log" trick i was using for placement in a port /dock near land where depth isnt that much and it would easily touch the surface...

I think the issue is also a keyword issue and the fact that water isnt a surface but an effect with no collision .

Maybe i need to force a placement at a specific " Z" that all ocean height is... but i dont know how to do that..

Do not suffer and put place everywhere. I don't know, maybe one out of 10 people doesn't use it. Nearly 90k endorsements on the Nexus speak for themselves. Everyone who loves to build something in fo4 will inevitably come to place everywhere. )