Enemies glitch - they keep turning away from me?

JohnnyG118

I've been playing Oblivion for about 120 hours, no problems, using a variety of mods. It's important to note that I haven't installed any new mods for the last 30 or so hours of game play.
As far as I know I didn't do anything, or change anything, to cause this. It just started happening without warning.

All of a sudden certain enemies (mainly animals and creatures, such as Brown Bears, Mountain Lions, and Ogres) will randomly turn away from me in battle. They'll sometimes run off a bit, swinging wildly at nothing, before eventually coming back to me. Sometimes when they do this they'll twitch in place; brown bears in particular will "stutter", rapidly turning towards me and away from me (but like 12 times a second, so it stutters really fast).

Googling the problem didn't offer much - has anyone else experienced this? Is there a cause, or a solution?

Upon further play I think I may have identified a possible cause.

I am running the full compliment of Unique Landscapes mods. This strange AI behaviour didn't start happening until I ventured into the more mountainous northern regions of the game for the first time. Many of these regions have been drastically altered by Unique Landscapes, and (using the "tpg" console command) I can see that some of them have bizarre pathfinding layouts. This would explain -some- of the issues I've had. However, I have seen enemies start exhibiting this behaviour in areas NOT affected by Unique Landscapes, including some interior cells which are COMPLETELY unchanged.

I'll update with more information when I can. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It's not gamebreaking (yet), but it does destroy a lot of the immersion.

Edited by JohnnyG118

No, in fact I'm not using any mods that should impact enemy behavior. All of my mods are either Clothing/Armor (or the shops that sell them), landscape modifications (i.e. Unique Landscapes) or texture replacers and shaders. I don't use anything script heavy, and certainly not Deadly Reflex, Francesco, OOO, or any of the other major overhauls.