Alternate Currency

Gorzog

This is less a mod request and more a feasibility check.

Is is possible to make specific vendors accept a different item as currency? For instance, a vendor that takes pre-war money or, say, scrap metal as payment for items?

How do you define currency? If an item can be traded to a merchant then it can be used as currency, right? If you mean that some merchant would pay more for a certain type of item then no, can't be done. (not in an easy way anyway)

It might be possible to do if one would:

call

currencyItem.SetItemValue XX
showbartermenu

through merchant dialogue and have a gamemode script (quest) which would restore the items original value upon exiting the barter menu.

More like:

Real American Bob accepts pre-War money as payment for items he sells, and will pay you in pre-War money for items you sell to him. He does not accept bottlecaps, nor will he give you bottlecaps. Ideally (and maybe impossibly), pre-War money would be displayed in the UI where his and your bottlecap totals are normally listed (and on the arrow in-between).

Henry the Scrapman accepts scrap metal as payment for items he sells (or makes, depending on how you look at it) and will give you scrap metal for items given to him. He does not accept bottlecaps, nor will he give you bottlecaps, because they're simply not useful to him.

...et cetera.

I've seen a couple that completely replace the currency, but I'd be looking to do it to a single merchant, or maybe a single worldspace.

And there lies your problem. You can replace it entirely, tho you would still have the references to the word caps, you could rewrite a set of merchants to use another value, stored on a quest, but you'd still see the name caps on every menu.

I already understand what I'm asking for is (currently) impossible, but just to clarify further.

Real American Bob is a reactionary Enclave devotee (even more reactionary than the rest of the Enclave, that is). Bob refuses to accept that something as common and mundane as bottlecaps have replaced the good ol' American dollar! As such, when you enter trade with Bob, the interface would list your current amount of pre-War money in the upper righthand corner, instead of bottlecaps. All Bob's prices would be listed in pre-War money, as would yours. In order to get things from Bob, you would have to pay him in pre-War money, and if you were to sell things to Bob, you would get pre-War money back. This, of course, only applies to Bob and not to, say, Moira, who still buy and sells things using bottlecaps.

The original purpose was to (a) come up with a use for "trash" items, and (b) allow Bob to sell things that were rare but required something other than your (the general "you") massive bankroll of caps to get.

I think the practical method to produce this same effect is simply a series of "quests" or "trades" like the steel ingots in The Pitt.

Archived