Insane amounts of enchanting xp :(

TwistedDepressions

Hi all, new modder in need of an assist.

Context:
I have so far made a mod which for the most part works just fine, it basically adds a bunch of wand with effects similar to those found on staffs.
The various Wand 'blanks' can be crafted at a smithing forge with the right 'ingredients' and then upgraded on a staff enchanter to have varying effects such as flames and whatnot, again if the player has the right 'ingredients'.

My Issue:
When I craft my blanks I get the expected (small) amount of smithing xp but as soon as I try to upgrade it on the staff enchanter it takes my enchanting from 19 to 76.
If I upgrade another it jumps my Enchanting to 96 and one more maxes me.

My Question(s):
Why is it that I'm getting a metric buttload of enchanting xp on upgrading?

As I said I'm new to modding Skyrim, though I have dabbled with the G.E.C.K for New Vegas a couple times and the Creation Kit seems the same to use.
I just don't understand exactly how magnitude and whatnot effects xp given on crafting/enchanting.
The wands aren't OP and only do damage relational to the spells they match i.e flames has 8 magnitude, my Wands of flame have fire spells that range between 8 and 32 magnitude.

Sorry if there isn't enough info but I have no idea what to share/include/upload to help you to help me, so please let me know if more info is needed to help :smile:

Thanks in advance.
Twist

Vanilla staff enchanting has a rather high xp yield in general. Balanced by the fact that in regular game, you only get your hands on maybe one or two unenchanted staves.

Now, if you look in CK, all destruction staves have a base value of 5. And enchanting one from unenchanted template is enough xp to go from 77 to 83.

If you increase the value, xp goes up significantly. At value 20, it goes 77 - 85. At 200, it is 77-95. And if reduced to 1, still takes one from 77 to 82.

So, I think you set value of enchanted wands too high. Set it to something like 5 or less (not 0 though)

Vanilla staff enchanting has a rather high xp yield in general. Balanced by the fact that in regular game, you only get your hands on maybe one or two unenchanted staves.

Now, if you look in CK, all destruction staves have a base value of 5. And enchanting one from unenchanted template is enough xp to go from 77 to 83.

If you increase the value, xp goes up significantly. At value 20, it goes 77 - 85. At 200, it is 77-95. And if reduced to 1, still takes one from 77 to 82.

So, I think you set value of enchanted wands too high. Set it to something like 5 or less (not 0 though)

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I'm a little unsure what value you're referring to.

Is it the "Magnitude", the "Ench Amount" or the "Enchantment Cost" or something completely different entirely?

(Guessing Magnitude but don't want to assume)

Thanks again.

Edited by TwistedDepressions

This value...

mFHJxRg.jpg

Your suggestion sort of worked, went from taking me to Enchanting 76 to enchanting 43 but that was setting the value to 1.

I also tweaked with some other thing (magnitude, ench cost etc and not much difference.

Do you know if it would it be possible to hadrdcode(script) how much xp is given when enchanting the item via the staff enchanter?

One thing I suggest is taking a look at this mod: Complete Crafting Overhaul Remastered

It looks like crafting station skill gain is controllable via perks.

Approach 1 - add XP gain multiplier based on created object keyword.

CCO_JewelrySmithingSkillGain Perk - its effect is 'Modify Skill Use' - Multiply by 0.5, if 'AdvanceObjectHasKeyword' : ArmorJewelry.

Approach 2 - disable 'internal' skill gain and use a script to advance the skill

CCO_SmithingXPMultPerk - Multiplies 'ModSkillUse' by 0 if AdvanceSkill is Smithing. The script (in the .bsa) is cco_altsmithingexpplayerscript.psc

Highlights of the script: Perk is added to player upon activating a Smithing workstation (OnSit event) and removed upon exiting it (OnGetUp)

Since perk disables 'internal' skill gain, the script calculates XP on item crreation (OnItemAdded event) and then uses a call: Game.AdvanceSkill("Smithing", xp)

I suppose you could:

1. Add a keyword to all wands (IsWand)

2. Design a 'WandXPPerk' that will multiply 'ModSkillUse' by 0 if 'AdvanceObject' has 'IsWand' keyword.

3. Upon player engaging staff enchanter: Add WandXPPerk, enter 'StaffEnchanting' State

4. On Item Added: if in StaffEnchanting State, and added item has 'IsWand' keyword, advance "Enchanting" skill by the value of your choosing.

5. On exiting Staff Enchanter, exit the state, remove the perk.

One thing I suggest is taking a look at this mod: Complete Crafting Overhaul Remastered

It looks like crafting station skill gain is controllable via perks.

Approach 1 - add XP gain multiplier based on created object keyword.

CCO_JewelrySmithingSkillGain Perk - its effect is 'Modify Skill Use' - Multiply by 0.5, if 'AdvanceObjectHasKeyword' : ArmorJewelry.

Approach 2 - disable 'internal' skill gain and use a script to advance the skill

CCO_SmithingXPMultPerk - Multiplies 'ModSkillUse' by 0 if AdvanceSkill is Smithing. The script (in the .bsa) is cco_altsmithingexpplayerscript.psc

Highlights of the script: Perk is added to player upon activating a Smithing workstation (OnSit event) and removed upon exiting it (OnGetUp)

Since perk disables 'internal' skill gain, the script calculates XP on item crreation (OnItemAdded event) and then uses a call: Game.AdvanceSkill("Smithing", xp)

I suppose you could:

1. Add a keyword to all wands (IsWand)

2. Design a 'WandXPPerk' that will multiply 'ModSkillUse' by 0 if 'AdvanceObject' has 'IsWand' keyword.

3. Upon player engaging staff enchanter: Add WandXPPerk, enter 'StaffEnchanting' State

4. On Item Added: if in StaffEnchanting State, and added item has 'IsWand' keyword, advance "Enchanting" skill by the value of your choosing.

5. On exiting Staff Enchanter, exit the state, remove the perk.

Thanks again for responding.

I'll give things a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Really do appreciate you helping :)

Twist