Civil War - In Depth Third Option, Possibly More

Tonlor

Alduin and the dragons indead could serve as a common enemy for ALL the mortal races of Nirn and he should already have been in vanilla!

I mean he burns down a whole fortress down and helps Ulfric escape. One would think that the imperials would put all possible ressources into killing him.

Alas they don´t, good for us, it gives us some more hours of game time and another quest line.

Or the developers were simply to lazy to think up a scenario where Alduin is shown as a legit threat to all living beings yet the mortals are still occupied with killing each other.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case I don't think Legion would chase after one specific dragon, because they literally keep hearing dragon roars on their doorstep in Solitude.

Ah, I rather meant they would mobilize against the whole dragon problem.

And thanks, but ignore my rant, I just realised that most dragons were quite tranquil and didn´t bother the citizen of Skyrim that much. Even if the factions would have at first prioritized them few of them would believe in old legends etc if they have a real and known enemy in front o them.

What do you think about:

It is a good point that we should reserve the Thalmor threat for another "expansion".

Let´s exclude their direkt involvement then.

The Thalmor could however covertly boost the Forsworn to keep the civil war in Skyrim active, after they feared that through season unending the war may become less intense or even end if the dragonborn wishes so.

- the Forsworn already have big ties to the daedra via the Hagravens, we could further exploit this element to implement some ideas of Grub. Especially the concept of concurring princes looks appealing to me.

Additionaly the PC would start his own campaign with a rag tag resistence + dragons + the greybeards who may have finally descided to involve themselves a bit more in politics.

In vanilla Skyrim it is stated in the loading screen at least that Kodlak had quite some political influence in all nine holds, as the new harbringer of the companions and dragonborn the pc should thus have some political weight.

Furthermore if we give the PC as military campaign base a region in the middle of Skyrim he may even geograficaly be a buffer between both factions - able to battle both sides simultaneously.

Through battle, assasination and diplomacy the PC will unite the two main factions and perhaps even the Forsworn who would be given the Reach as a jarl under the High King or perhaps several other endings: splitting of Skyrim in 2 or more autonomous regions, the pc sells Skyrim to the Thalmor etc

The Greybeards wouldn´t act on behalf of the dragonborn but act as mediators.

Alternatively we could have the at first neutral Balgruuf be mediator and leave the Greybeards not interested in the politics in Skyrim.

I think this concept is a good balance of the different posts.

Your opinions?

Echoing what others have already said, I think the best option for a third faction in the civil war is one led by the Dragonborn.

The Dragonborn has a good claim to be High King/Queen. I remember reading somewhere that when the joint Breton and Nord army went to face Talos; the Nords defected to Talos after hearing his thum. Considering the Dragonborn beat Alduin and pretty much saved the world, I don't think he/she would struggle to attract followers. Plus there are the dragons loyal to the player, the Greybeards who hold a lot of influence and any guilds the player leads.

During the civil war the player could have diplomatic options with the Imperials or the Stromcloaks as well as factions like the Forsworn. At the end of the civil war the player could decide on leading Skyrim as an Imperial province or an independent state. There should also be options to make diplomatic ties with the Bretons, Redguards, Dunmer etc. The player could create a new alliance instead of the Empire that had the power to face the Thalmor. After the civil war the player should definitely have options in regards to the future of Skyrim.

Just some ideas anyway. The main problem is voicing the vanilla characters (subtitles would be a bit naff).

: The main problem is voicing the vanilla characters (subtitles would be a bit naff).

Not like we have much choice there. Either we painstackingly take apart the voice of the vanilla actors and refit them to our wishes - I believe a mod featuring Serena used this method to augment her dialogue - or we accept a voice change aka different actors, IMO if we really get such a mod, who cares if they are the same voice actors! And if we get some really dedicated actors they perhaps could revoice the whole dialogue of the important vanilla characters.

I would still let the PC do a bit of the civil war questline to "get to know the factions better" and have him defect during the return of the jagged crown as stated above.

He is a legendary hero and leader of several guilds possibly or has the potential so no an army should be no big problem, even if the Greybeards probably won´t endorse him much as the PCs path contradicts their doctrine. But for convenience sake I would like to recruit and handle the army as followers so we probably should not have to much, at least at the same time.

A combi of UFO and a follower home setting mod would be able to handle that easily.

Yeah the Serana mod handled the dialogue very well. The actor who voiced Ulfric also played a viking in 13th warrior, lines could be taken from that. However, as you said it would be a long awkward process. Tbh it probably wouldn't be that bad to find voice actors who could do decent impressions and add the dialogue in that way. Would be better than nothing.

A cast of new characters would also be a good idea. That way the mod would be more interesting and you would have to rely less on the vaniila characters which raises complications with voice acting.

I think a mod like this would cater more for second or third playthrougs so getting to know the factions wouldn't be that important. Avoiding a defection would be nice so that the player doesn't end up being a traitor. I agree that the Jagged Crown should play a part. It would give the Dragonborn a bold entrance as a new force in the war for control over Skyrim.

: dont you think it would be better if you just overthrew the current emperor dynasty and restored it to its original septim glory.

Let´s start small with becoming High King, usurping the imperial throne can come later. Through if the PC assassinated the current emperor the timing would be godly good.

And our first step should probably be to realise the Skyrim internal modification.

So, is there a modder among us who would be interested? :sad:

At least at starting the project! Announcing it would hopefully gather some support.

HEY, look, flexcreator was nice enougth to solve our command troops problem!! http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57589/?

Edited by monganfinn