Simplified Settlements

WraithofShadow

I'm the kind of player that likes settlements in principle, but not really handling them. Too much busy work distracting me from exploration, and there are too many locations so I inevitably just build up one or two without bothering with the rest.

What if they were simpler? What if there was an interactive NPC (a Mayor of sorts) that built it up for you. Maybe occasionally asking advice (such as should they build a factory for ammunition or medical goods) and you could give them raw material to speed up construction, but otherwise they handle most of the details (defences, housing, guard patrols, etc). This way instead of being "in charge" of the settlements, it's more like you're just helping them along. Some settlements will remain modestly small (obviously they'd be working off a pre-made plan, but that'll probably be nicer than anything I could make anyway), others will grow pretty big (might be adjustable on installation or something), but they will grow over time without needing much direct input and you can still "claim" them for the purpose of quests and such.

In theory, the maker of this mod could also make it compatible with things like 'Sim Settlements' and have the NPCs use those buildings too if its also installed.

Seems like it'd be an interesting mod for those of us who don't interact much with settlement building, but don't want to throw it away and/or ignore it as much as possible.

Edited by WraithofShadow

Doesn't sim settlements do all that??

'Sim Settlements' simplifies some things, and complicates others. It adds other side things to mix and it has a lot of sub-mods at this point.

Not quite as "hands-off" as the original post was trying to imply.

Such as... you can't enter build mode in one of these "simplified" settlements, you just talk to "that one person" and they build it. You maybe answer a few questions about specifics and they build it according to their own internal template, they may have some internal flags for faction membership (such as if you're with the Minutemen they build Artillery Pieces and a small Minutemen base). Perhaps on installation you could pick if the settlement is large, small, or player controlled (stays as vanilla construction). Something like that.

Edited by WraithofShadow

You may enjoy the City Plan feature from Sim Settlements 2. Seems quite similar to your request here. Refer https://wiki.simsettlements2.com/gameplay/settlements.

Specifically:

City Plans will build over time, and will engage with the settlement economy system while doing so. City Plans are immersive and provide settlements that will have grown between visits.