Become High King Of Skyrim

Mopel

How about from a prospective mod user's point of view? If I were playing a mod which allowed me to raise an army and take the throne, I'd be much happier if I could do it from either side. The different sides would, of course, need a different approach because they're starting with different motives.

The stormcloaks (mostly Nords) could easily be rallied behind a Dragonborn who openly disapproves of the way the stormcloaks are acting and their leader's actions and behavior.

I could see the imperials (not mostly Nords, so not as easily motivated by your status as Dragonborn) banding behind a couple different leaders, the one which comes to mind the quickest would be a powerful leader (the Dragonborn who already has the support of at least one Jarl) who disapproves of the Thalmor (like Ulfric) but otherwise strongly supports the Empire (very much unlike Ulfric).

For the Stormcloaks, you play off of how dislikable he is. For the Imperials, you play off of how Elisif is a pawn for the Thalmor by proxy.

I don't think it's something to argue about, and whoever is actually involved in the mod gets the say over how it ends up, and the one with the idea gets the most leeway. But that doesn't mean it couldn't make sense for it to be available from either side.

I do agree that it's unfair to be forced to join the stormcloaks. But then, the way I would go about it would be to have it set up so it worked relatively the same no matter which side you chose, if any at all. I'd have it set up so you had to gain support from the Jarls, and you had to raise an army. There should be multiple methods for raising the army. A way to recruit Stormcloaks, a way to recruit Imperials, and a way to recruit those who are otherwise neutral (commanding the Forsworn, anyone?). There would be multiple ways to start your journey to becoming king. A coup against Ulfric. A marriage to Elisif? A suggestion from a neutral Jarl?

Being High King would be awesome. But it's very important to remember something. Being Arch Mage is quite interesting. But becoming arch mage is even more interesting. The storyline behind the major factions and quests is by far more interesting than the result most of the time.

I agree with Xander there, the journey definitely beats the destination. I'm more worried about modding the journey to becoming High King than I am about what you should do once you attain the throne. In my mind, we're going to give some basic but not too complex perks to the High King, but save anything in depth for perhaps a second, follow up mod. I say a second mod because this one is already very ambitious, so we need to make sure we're not biting off more than we can chew.

On the subject of content, I'm not totally against making this quest available to the Imperials. I just think that it's going to be a less combat-oriented mod at that point, which I'm fine with, I love good story that is directed by dialogue and decision making. We do need to pick one thing to focus on at a time, though, and just go from there. And, most likely, it is going to be a Stormcloak mod for a time, exclusively. Perhaps one day it will include Imperials and Neutrals. Regardless, one step at a time. Too many good projects are dropped because the person working on it is trying to do too much at once.

My skype is "mezzrin" if anyone has any questions or needs to discuss any of this.

So, how do you relate to the existing "Become High King of Skyrim" mod?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41087/?

I think it's a mod that the creator obviously put a lot of work into, but it's not for my tastes. I prefer the journey, as stated, and that mod definitely focuses more on the destination. It feels too easy to become High King with that module. My goal for the mod is to make the player really, really feel like they went through hell and back to win the crown they initially had no right to --- which is how it should feel. From nobody to High King is no small feat, and the journey needs to recognize and accommodate for that.

How about from a prospective mod user's point of view? If I were playing a mod which allowed me to raise an army and take the throne, I'd be much happier if I could do it from either side. The different sides would, of course, need a different approach because they're starting with different motives.

The stormcloaks (mostly Nords) could easily be rallied behind a Dragonborn who openly disapproves of the way the stormcloaks are acting and their leader's actions and behavior.

I could see the imperials (not mostly Nords, so not as easily motivated by your status as Dragonborn) banding behind a couple different leaders, the one which comes to mind the quickest would be a powerful leader (the Dragonborn who already has the support of at least one Jarl) who disapproves of the Thalmor (like Ulfric) but otherwise strongly supports the Empire (very much unlike Ulfric).

For the Stormcloaks, you play off of how dislikable he is. For the Imperials, you play off of how Elisif is a pawn for the Thalmor by proxy.

I don't think it's something to argue about, and whoever is actually involved in the mod gets the say over how it ends up, and the one with the idea gets the most leeway. But that doesn't mean it couldn't make sense for it to be available from either side.

I do agree that it's unfair to be forced to join the stormcloaks. But then, the way I would go about it would be to have it set up so it worked relatively the same no matter which side you chose, if any at all. I'd have it set up so you had to gain support from the Jarls, and you had to raise an army. There should be multiple methods for raising the army. A way to recruit Stormcloaks, a way to recruit Imperials, and a way to recruit those who are otherwise neutral (commanding the Forsworn, anyone?). There would be multiple ways to start your journey to becoming king. A coup against Ulfric. A marriage to Elisif? A suggestion from a neutral Jarl?

Being High King would be awesome. But it's very important to remember something. Being Arch Mage is quite interesting. But becoming arch mage is even more interesting. The storyline behind the major factions and quests is by far more interesting than the result most of the time.

This

Those are very good ideas.

The stormcloak side of the quest should generally be warlord oriented.

While the Imperial side can be more dialogue and politically oriented with open skirmishes here in there untill you have enough power under the Imperials in Skyrim to use them to break away completely with your army.

The Imperial quest can work like this:

By the end of the Civil War, you and General Tullius hear that a huge band of stormcloaks have rallied and taken a fort somewhere in Skyrim. GT and Legate Rikke accompanies you there for the battle, along with the imperial army stationed in Skyrim that you are highly respected by this time around. In this final battle however, GT gets crippled by an arrow in the chest (scripted) and tells you to carry on leading the troops to the final victory, and then dies shortly after that last sentence. Winning the battle, the troops are severely brought down by the death of their beloved general, and you being second in command, the soldiers yell that they hate that fact that they have been forced to fight this long war for a petty Emperor. One of them exclaims that you are a Dragonborn, like Tiber Septim, and wished that a Dragonborn, like you, sat on the throne instead, because you at least put your life on the line as well. You then rally them and thus have a personal army which you use to march on Solitude and dethrone Elsif. Next are the other holds still loyal to the Empire. And then political intrigue and battles can commence. The imperial side of the quest ends when you have conquered all the holds and start to plan on marching on the Imperial city.

Edited by Mopel

In a nutshell very similar, and thus balanced.

Stormcloaks

1. Plan coup with exiled Jarls.

2. Expose Ulfric's intentions to the Stormcloaks

3. Rally them and storm the palace of Kings.

4. Challenge Ulfric and beat him in a dual.

5. Through politics and warfare that should work hand in hand with the civil war overhaul mod, you conquer Skyrim.

Imperials

1. Rally the angry Imperial army after GT's death.

2. Plan the coup with the exiled Jarls.

3. March on Solitude.

4. Dethrone Elsif or force a political marriage.

5. Through politics and warfare that should work hand in hand with the civil war overhaul mod, you conquer Skyrim.

We'll, I'll try to find some time to write down dialogue. I'll make sure the mod is more a complex array of quests then just a "do this and you're done". There is gonna be multiple consequences and ways to finish quests and some minor misc things happening for each of the sides. I'll PM you guys when I get the first part written down. :smile:

Xander and Mezrin

You guys should outline what each of you are gonna do if you are up for the job, thx again for all the support btw! :thumbsup:

Edited by Mopel