The problem with gun mods on Fallout 3.

SymbolOfMight

Okay, so in Oblivion, all you had to do was create a kick ass sword in Blender, you know, whatever. Swords don't reload. Guns do! And the thing with ALL of the gun mods on Fallout 3 is that the G36C and the Steyr AUG and the M4 all reload almost identically and fire identically, and worst of all, in V.A.T.S. or fully auto firing, the sounds usually clash and sound like a trainwreck getting blown by mother Chaos! So I'm creating a project to create some new reloading anims and differing the way guns fire and how they fire, such as velocity, speed, recoil, and an integrated damage per penetration system so a 10mm pistol doesn't kill some Enclave cat in Power Armor. See, It's much better to have diversity. PM me for more details or how you can help out. :D

You're owned on the animation side. Ya see, fallout doesn't let you add new reload animations, you're screwed to use the 10 or so that the game already haves, which are of course, spread amongst the different hand grips available. Add to this that supermutants don't have all the reload and firing animations, and you're left with a very limited handful of reload animations, and we all know that guns without a proper reload animation are just crap.

The iddlemanager can be used to enforce an animation upon the player to cancel the reload one, however, this method is rather buggy, the original animation is known to not stop and cancel or otherwise interfere with the intended animation, this more often than not ends with the gun nodes not being where they are supposed to be, getting a horribly screwed gun as a result.

Same thing for firing animations, and these simply cannot be changed, expecting to get the iddlemanager to sync with full automatic shooting is just an unrealistic expectation.

Tho it is possible to add/change projectiles and toy with their spread. Bullet physics-toying is another problem, you go too mild and the auto-aimbot will make all your changes imperceptible, you go too hard and you just get a bullet that just doesn't move realistically.

Sounds are an area where improvement can be made. The problem with them is that the algorithms used by the game to elongate the sound when in vats or otherwise slow motion are crappy, and a lot of going back and forth between the game and the audio-editing software is needed to ensure a good result. Weapons with high firerates are highly problematic in this area, needing extremely short and therefore unrealistic and puny-sounding gunshot sounds to ensure they don't become audio garbage when on vats. This work is often more than what most modders are willing to do, and it is also more often than not, out of the capabilities of most modders. You cannot expect every person with 3d modeling knowledge and talent to also be an audio junkie.

Changing mere %-based defense for a DR threshold + %-based defense is something highly desired. It's rather complex to make compatible with all the gun mods available, and it involves quite a lot of scripting. It is doable, but it is not an easy task to do it right, compatible and balanced. Doing anything less than that is not worth making.

As a general rule, a completely new user, who's very first post is a huge and fuzzy mod idea, and who also seems to want to keep any information regarding it obscure to the community will be largely ignored. We get about 2-3 OMG GRAND MOD IDEA NEED TEAM NAO! from complete newbies with no modding knowledge every day, projects that would take years to be completed. Joining one of such projects would be an immense waste of time, and any modder with a grain of skill and common sense will avoid them. So as general suggestions:

1) start small, start on your own, don't bother to request for anything other than advise until you've got something tangible and playable created.

2) This isn't friggin marketing, the whole "keep the details obscure" is stupid and only leads to either people not joining because it is highly likely to be a letdown, and people joining and then silently quitting your project because it did not delivered what it promised. Don't do it.

It is not currently possible to change weapon animations with the GECK. That is why all the gun mods are basically the same gun with different ammo. Though I do not understand why alot of the Mods do not include projectile information. Maybe they are just lazy...But really projectile information for alot of the ammo is similar to eachother and I dont even know why Bethesda even bothered.

That damage per penetration system may be quite doable. Making certain weapons less useful to use against certain armor types. That's more realistic than varying weapon damage. A 10mm should do alot of damage to someone without armor no matter what.

Yea some of the sounds are horrible. I've seen someone use the default 3D sniper sound and a custom 2D sound and it sounded weird. I use very high quality headphones, so maybe they don't hear what I hear...

*Edit* It seems TG Blank always get's a reply in before I ever see it :(

• 3 weeks later...
Who ever said that just because I am new to the Nexus I am somehow inexperienced or foolhardy? I feel as if you all are isolated to little kids who learn modding on there own and don't actually advance upon a career in the affiliated areas. Such as modding. I would release ALL of my particular projects that involve reworking the glitched and out of date scripting methods of the GECK. Simply because they are overcomplicated and are outclassed by simpler, more efficient methods. But I would rather not due to bothersome legalities with companies and their proud lawyers. I'm sure that there isn't a whole lot of people on this site that actually have an education in computer and IT reworking and programming such as I do. Thanks for the whole noobie speech but I am not a spazzy 14 year old with impossible ideas.

I'm sure that there isn't a whole lot of people on this site that actually have an education in computer and IT reworking and programming such as I do. Thanks for the whole noobie speech but I am not a spazzy 14 year old with impossible ideas.

It is easy to take offense at good advice if you don't look at the intent. But then the worst vice is advice.

Vainglorious pronouncements of uber programming knowledge coupled with blanket put downs of the entire modding community rank second to glorious announcements of the best mod ever.

Don't do it.

You misread my post, I do not mean to set myself upon a pedestal with arrogant statements, I am merely wondering how many of you actually chose this as a career path, will in the future or do now. And I do not mean to disrespect many of the wonderful modders here but I'm sure most of them aren't over 16 or haven't learned by themselves or a tutorial online. It doesn't mean that they aren't great modders, I'm sure that their experience comes from several years back starting with Morrowind and the TES series. I merely implied harmless observations about the general Nexus community. Which I believe to be fairly accurate with no insult intended.

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt this guy in Classic Fallout Weapons made seperate bullpup animations for some guns? :whistling:

Don't see his tag in the credits, though maybe he is incognito due to modesty.

No.

Sorry for my poor English, i was just saying that the creator of Classic Fallout Weapons have added seperate bullpup reload animation, and guys have said that this impossible. Or im wrong?