temporary texture swapping in Bodyslide

anjenthedog

If I have a CBBE-family body type (from CBBE on up to the latest greatest 3BA version), Bodyslide uses a CBBE-family texture (afaik, the one used by the player)

And although I don't, I presume that if I used a UNP variant body type (these days generally BHUNP, also UUNP, at least in SE/AE), Bodyslide would use the appropriate texture set for the UNP family body (right?)

So...if I'm not mistaken, Bodyslide points to the player body textures ( /actors/character/female/, or /actors/character/male/) for its texture resources.

Is there a way to redirect that texture dependency linkage to another folder, via a setting, so you could edit both CBBE and UNP family models without the eye-destroying, mind-sucking texture mis-mapping that happens when editing a body type not defined as the default?

I *think I can file swap to achieve the expected behavior (drop copies of original texture files (ex: CBBE-fam stuff) into a holding folder, put alt textures (ex: UNP -fam textures) in place in player folder, work, then swap original files back in when playing or working on default body types), but it sounds tedious and prone to "oops, forgot again" situations)

Bodyslide merely looks in your games Data folder for what body textures you have installed, of which you can only have one family at a time.

So no, there is no mechanic to swap to a different folder within the program.

Bodyslide merely looks in your games Data folder for what body textures you have installed, of which you can only have one family at a time.

So no, there is no mechanic to swap to a different folder within the program.

Thanks. That confirms my suspicions.

No worries, I guess I'll just make two subfolders off my player texture folder to store the (UNP and CBBE texture) variants and do copy-pasta when I work with one or the other.

PS> texture swapping definitely works. But if you ever do it, make darn sure you've moved the files back into place before installing anything with Vortex or otherwise initiating a deployment event in Vortex, or it will cause an unnecessary mess during deployment.

As I learned last night. Not catastrophe, but work that needn't have been done.

Have you looked at any of the body-swapping mods that give different body types to NPCs? You might find something in one or more of those...

I have one installed and I think I've seen at least another somewhere or another ([probably here at nexus)

They would not provide what I need, since I want the ability to work in Bodyslide on two different body types, CBBE-3BBB and BHUNP, which I've had installed cooperatively for over 3 years now. But until now, I've always dealt with Bodyslide work for BHUNP without being able to see them as they display in game and "hoped" for the best with my adjustments for BHUNP (lots of additional work figuring out what's what when the breast decals are totally wrong....

The only "fix" or enhancement that would meet my needs (desire) would be if Bodyslide provided user-assignable hotlinking to textures, and frankly, that's wishing too much. I was just hoping there was some back door I hadn't considered...

But aside from that, copy pasta works for swapping texture sets, with the caveat of making really sure player textures have been reset to their normal files after working on the alternate body type, so no follow-up issues pop up when deploying/etc in the future.

Rather than engaging in a rather dangerous game of folder swapping, you can just update textures on your UUNP references.

Standard location for female body textures is textures/actors/character/female, which includes the .dds, _msn.dds, _s.dds and _sk.dds for femalebody_1, femalehands_1 and femalehead

Supposedly you have your CBBE textures there. You can create a 'UNP' folder under it with a set of UNP textures.

Taking one specific example: my Data\CalienteTools\BodySlide\RefTemplates has 'BHUNP RefTemplates.xml', which has(among others):

<Template sourcefile="SliderSets\BHUNP 3BBB Advanced.osp" set="BHUNP 3BBB Advanced Ver 3" loadAll="true">BHUNP 3BBB Advanced Ver 3</Template>

So in Outfit Studio, I Load project - BHUNP 3BBB Advanced.osp - and select 'BHUNP 3BBB Advanced Ver 3' - it loads with CBBE textures (ugly)

I go into properties of BaseShape, Textures, and add \UNP to each texture path. The body now has UNP textures. Save project.

This pretty much needs to be done for every project listed in the UNP Ref Templates files.

Once done, whenever working on a UNP-based outfit, you just need to load the reference