I need help about a mod list!

lucasrcl95

It's been a while since I played Skyrim. But recently, I saw some videos where a guy plays with new mechanics. The game was completely different from the original Skyrim, it felt like another game. I did some research and found some videos on YouTube about this mod list, but it's all very confusing. Many videos, repetitive lists with additions, things that are not explained, like if you need FNIS, SKSE, and similar things.
I want my game to be similar to that guy's: Syn Gaming (a YouTuber who showcases some mods to install in Skyrim).
There's this new combat system, new movements, spells are more interesting, improved combat for both the player and the AI... that kind of thing, and also visual enhancements. If anyone has any idea about the list of mods he's using, I would greatly appreciate it! (including visual mods for both the environment and characters, and also if any mods like FNIS and others are required).

I don't know much about what each mod does, but by watching at least the recent videos from Syn Gaming, I can get an idea of how I want to make my Skyrim work (June/23).

link to a mod list that interested me. However, if you watch another video, you'll see that he talks about other mods as well, which ends up confusing me about what I should or shouldn't use. And he also uses other mods that he doesn't explain in the video.
I have played with mods in the past and I understand the basics of mod installation. I use Vortex as a Mod Manager for simple installations.
Anyway, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help! :laugh:
Edited by lucasrcl95

It's a big question.

It is pretty simple to drastically improve how the game looks these days. There are a couple of all-in-one texture packs that come to mind immediately: Pfuscher's 202x and Skurkbro's Retexture Project. You could simply install one of those and be done with it. There are always adjustments you can make, but let's not get complicated.

It helps to think about a way to organise what you want to add. I don't know about Vortex, but in Mod Organizer I use separators (essentially 'folders' or your own categories) to clarify the modlist into sections instead of having a gigantic list on my screen. Doing this helps if you want to be comprehensive without getting overwhelmed. In your post you mention that you want to improve the visuals, animations, and combat.

Above is one category of visuals, let's call it 'textures and meshes'. If you like a bucket texture, a leek mesh, etc., these can all go into that category which MO2 (and hopefully Vortex) can minimise when you aren't thinking about improving textures/meshes for a time.

I have a separator for core visual improvements which include lighting, weather, ENB addons, SMIM, and other changes that will be seen throughout the entire game. As I explain this, someone is cringing because they have a different, maybe better, system, but I think it is simple and clear enough. Even this is something rather easy: just go to an ENB preset page and follow their recommendation for lighting, weather, water and other mods to achieve the desired visual.

For character visuals, grab a skin texture pack that is to your liking. There are many NPC overhauls, although if there is a jump in complexity if you want to select some from one and some from another. You may want to download XP32 skeletons and a body mod like CBBE, but that is starting to get too involved for this post.

Now to combat. I advise making a separate category for combat systems (balance, new mechanics, Precision, True Directional Movement) and combat animations. It's everyone's choice, but a modern combat overhaul is called (literally) Modern Combat Overhaul aka ADXP. When an animation mod references MCO or ADXP, it means it works on top of that framework. It comes with its own animations, though, which might be enough for you. SCAR improves NPC combat behaviour. If you want to install Valhalla Combat (mentioned in video), I would regretfully advise against it in its current state (there is a bug that frequently makes enemies invulnerable for a short time). If it updates, we should look at it again.

New armours, weapons. and spells can be added to their own separators/categories. There is a good series of spells that came out recently (one is called Vulcano, check out the rest by that author).

An armour used in one of those videos is the Asura's Guard armour, which is high quality work.

Non-combat animations usually are called 'idles', so search for idles. Note that certain animations require Dynamic Animation Replacer (install Open Animation Replacer, though--it supports all DAR mods) or Nemesis in order to work. How Nemesis works is that you set it up as a tool in your mod organiser and after installing an animation that requires it you then run the tool. There is more detail on the mod pages. Most non-combat animations do not require Nemesis, but MCO and SCAR do. FNIS is superseded by Nemesis.

Modernising the interface is also easy to do. There are few packs of complete interface overhauls (examples: Dear Diary, Untarnished UI, Nordic UI) you can install.

For the camera, use Smoothcam and browse for a preset you like.

The above along with a section for universally useful patches like Scrambled Bugs, Engine Fixes, SSE Display Tweaks, USSEP (there is some controversy online, but I recommend using it), RaceMenu, powerofthree's Tweaks, Actor Limit Fix, Aurora Fix, Papyrus Tweaks NG, Dual Casting Fix, etc. (there are many that you can find) will produce a happy result with minimal effort.

I recommend installing a couple of tools like LOOT (I think Vortex has this built-in) and SSEEdit. Use SSEEdit even if you don't plan to make any changes, just open each plugin you download with it to see what it does, what it looks like, so you start to become familiar with how the interface works and the internal structure of what you are installing. "What's that red highlight? Oh, something I installed earlier is being undone by this one I just installed."

The danger with me giving this outlay is that someone will vehemently disagree with my approach, but there you go, modding is personal and I think that is a good basic structure to get the most impact quickly. Good luck!

It's a big question.

It is pretty simple to drastically improve how the game looks these days. There are a couple of all-in-one texture packs that come to mind immediately: Pfuscher's 202x and Skurkbro's Retexture Project. You could simply install one of those and be done with it. There are always adjustments you can make, but let's not get complicated.

It helps to think about a way to organise what you want to add. I don't know about Vortex, but in Mod Organizer I use separators (essentially 'folders' or your own categories) to clarify the modlist into sections instead of having a gigantic list on my screen. Doing this helps if you want to be comprehensive without getting overwhelmed. In your post you mention that you want to improve the visuals, animations, and combat.

Above is one category of visuals, let's call it 'textures and meshes'. If you like a bucket texture, a leek mesh, etc., these can all go into that category which MO2 (and hopefully Vortex) can minimise when you aren't thinking about improving textures/meshes for a time.

I have a separator for core visual improvements which include lighting, weather, ENB addons, SMIM, and other changes that will be seen throughout the entire game. As I explain this, someone is cringing because they have a different, maybe better, system, but I think it is simple and clear enough. Even this is something rather easy: just go to an ENB preset page and follow their recommendation for lighting, weather, water and other mods to achieve the desired visual.

For character visuals, grab a skin texture pack that is to your liking. There are many NPC overhauls, although if there is a jump in complexity if you want to select some from one and some from another. You may want to download XP32 skeletons and a body mod like CBBE, but that is starting to get too involved for this post.

Now to combat. I advise making a separate category for combat systems (balance, new mechanics, Precision, True Directional Movement) and combat animations. It's everyone's choice, but a modern combat overhaul is called (literally) Modern Combat Overhaul aka ADXP. When an animation mod references MCO or ADXP, it means it works on top of that framework. It comes with its own animations, though, which might be enough for you. SCAR improves NPC combat behaviour. If you want to install Valhalla Combat (mentioned in video), I would regretfully advise against it in its current state (there is a bug that frequently makes enemies invulnerable for a short time). If it updates, we should look at it again.

New armours, weapons. and spells can be added to their own separators/categories. There is a good series of spells that came out recently (one is called Vulcano, check out the rest by that author).

An armour used in one of those videos is the Asura's Guard armour, which is high quality work.

Non-combat animations usually are called 'idles', so search for idles. Note that certain animations require Dynamic Animation Replacer (install Open Animation Replacer, though--it supports all DAR mods) or Nemesis in order to work. How Nemesis works is that you set it up as a tool in your mod organiser and after installing an animation that requires it you then run the tool. There is more detail on the mod pages. Most non-combat animations do not require Nemesis, but MCO and SCAR do. FNIS is superseded by Nemesis.

Modernising the interface is also easy to do. There are few packs of complete interface overhauls (examples: Dear Diary, Untarnished UI, Nordic UI) you can install.

For the camera, use Smoothcam and browse for a preset you like.

The above along with a section for universally useful patches like Scrambled Bugs, Engine Fixes, SSE Display Tweaks, USSEP (there is some controversy online, but I recommend using it), RaceMenu, powerofthree's Tweaks, Actor Limit Fix, Aurora Fix, Papyrus Tweaks NG, Dual Casting Fix, etc. (there are many that you can find) will produce a happy result with minimal effort.

I recommend installing a couple of tools like LOOT (I think Vortex has this built-in) and SSEEdit. Use SSEEdit even if you don't plan to make any changes, just open each plugin you download with it to see what it does, what it looks like, so you start to become familiar with how the interface works and the internal structure of what you are installing. "What's that red highlight? Oh, something I installed earlier is being undone by this one I just installed."

The danger with me giving this outlay is that someone will vehemently disagree with my approach, but there you go, modding is personal and I think that is a good basic structure to get the most impact quickly. Good luck!

I'm trying to keep up...
1 - Texture pack: I looked and found Pfuscher's 202x more interesting, but a bit complicated to install, do I have to download all the ones he recommends, right? https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2347?tab=description
Do I still need ENB for this? If yes, any suggestions?
2 - Character Visual: Skeleton XP32 and CBBE. I remember using these two in the past.
3 - ADXP and SCAR and their requirements to make combat flow differently. Does this one serve both? (MCO Nordic Animation Complete Pack) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/72966?tab=files
4 - Valhalla Combat: even though it's a bit buggy, what made me interested in playing again was the mechanics it brought, so I'm going to download it anyway! But thanks for the warning.
5 - Vulcano: As for spells, I thought about just visually remodeling them, I don't really like adding new spells and new powers, I did that in the past and broke the game with spells that stacked and made you completely spoiled with the immense power you achieved just by taking advantage of the loopholes the spells provided.
6 - Open Animation Replacer and Nemesis: From what I understand, Open Animation Replacer will be necessary for ADXP and SCAR. Do I download both? And do I no longer need FNIS? And just to confirm, is this the link for Nemesis? https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60033?tab=description
7 - UI: I've always used SkyUI, but Nordic UI caught my interest. From what I understand, it also requires SkyUI.
8 - Smoothcam: Looks cool, another one for the list.
9 - patches: From what I understand, I'll need to download all the ones you mentioned, right? So far, the only one I knew was RaceMenu.
10 - LOOT and SSEEdit: LOOT is already in Vortex, so I just need to download SSEEdit.
And finally, I remember using mods for cloaks, physics-based capes and hair, NPC appearance like BJIN, and stuff like that. Do I still need to download these types of mods separately, or do they come with any of the previous ones?

I'm trying to keep up...

Yes, sorry, it's a bit of an info-dump.

1 - Texture pack: I looked and found Pfuscher's 202x more interesting, but a bit complicated to install, do I have to download all the ones he recommends, right? https://www.nexusmod...tab=description
Do I still need ENB for this? If yes, any suggestions?

To use the parallax textures you will need to use ENB or an alternative mod Parallax Shader Fix.

The 202x textures are segmented into Architecture, Landscape, Other, and update files. If you download them all, they fit together, but you can download individual parts if you like as well. I should also warn you that they use a lot of VRAM, and if you max out your video card's memory it will stutter in-game. Consider using his downscaled versions. If you play on or around 1080 resolution, I think only the biggest objects or most detailed favourite armour and weapons should be above 2K resolution.

If you choose an ENB preset it should be geared towards your own preferences. There are ENBs that make Skyrim into a bright fantasy world and those that do the opposite. There are many in between ones, and even stylised ones that mimic some movies. Some presets are also more demanding on hardware than others. If you like bright colours, PI CHO is a good one, but it is a bit of a strain on the system. The lightest performance-wise yet most modern one in features seems to be Patrician ENB. I am now using Rudy ENB with NAT 3 weathers, which is colourful but still 'grounded' enough for fairly realistic scenes at times.

3 - ADXP and SCAR and their requirements to make combat flow differently. Does this one serve both? (MCO Nordic Animation Complete Pack) https://www.nexusmod...72966?tab=files

The animation pack you linked is very good. It is built upon MCO, so it requires MCO, and is "SCAR patched", meaning the NPCs will more intelligently use the animations in combos and at the right distances from their target.

4 - Valhalla Combat: even though it's a bit buggy, what made me interested in playing again was the mechanics it brought, so I'm going to download it anyway! But thanks for the warning.
Yes, I had fun with it and hope it updates again. Worth a try.

5 - Vulcano: As for spells, I thought about just visually remodeling them, I don't really like adding new spells and new powers, I did that in the past and broke the game with spells that stacked and made you completely spoiled with the immense power you achieved just by taking advantage of the loopholes the spells provided.

I understand. I think those spells are pretty balanced, but then I am using it with the recommended perk overhaul as well. For visuals, you can use ENB Light to make them emit light on the environment around you. Good with dragon breath. There is also Deadly Spell Impacts and a parallax version. Amy's Replacement Spell Runes are worth looking at, too. For fire, lightning, and frost visuals, I can recommend Inferno, Thunderbolt, and Arctic.

6 - Open Animation Replacer and Nemesis: From what I understand, Open Animation Replacer will be necessary for ADXP and SCAR. Do I download both? And do I no longer need FNIS? And just to confirm, is this the link for Nemesis? https://www.nexusmod...tab=description

Make sure you check the Requirements drop-down on the MCO/ADXP webpage: https://www.skyrim-guild.com/mods/attack

It mentions DAR as a requirement, but from this point onward you can use OAR instead. OAR is like an upgraded, future-proofed DAR, so DAR itself does not need to be downloaded.

ADXP and SCAR do two different tasks, they are compatible and you can download both.

FNIS is no longer needed except, I hear, in some very specific circumstances with mods that you and I are likely to never encounter.

That is the right link to Nemesis. You might need to do some research on how to set it up in Vortex (I don't know).

8 - Smoothcam: Looks cool, another one for the list.
If you liked Smoothcam, you might also like Improved Alternate Conversation Camera.

9 - patches: From what I understand, I'll need to download all the ones you mentioned, right? So far, the only one I knew was RaceMenu.

You don't need to download all the ones I mentioned, but I find there are a lot of mods that you can install once and forget about while they prevent frustrations that might have occurred in your game. The Dual Casting fix, for example, fixes a problem where you were not doing proper damage while dual casting. May as well just download as many of these helpful fixes whenever you see them and put them in a category called something like 'engine fixes'. Patches for mods are different; they are focussed on compatibility. For example, Lux has many patches because one mod edits an interior and Lux has to then reapply its changes afterwards. (There's also Animation Queue Fix that is a good one to have.)

10 - LOOT and SSEEdit: LOOT is already in Vortex, so I just need to download SSEEdit.

SSEEdit is very helpful even with basic stuff. If you see a spelling mistake in the description of a spell you downloaded, or if you want to adjust the magnitude of something a bit, you can just go in and change the values as you please. Far quicker than the Creation Kit in many cases!

And finally, I remember using mods for cloaks, physics-based capes and hair, NPC appearance like BJIN, and stuff like that. Do I still need to download these types of mods separately, or do they come with any of the previous ones?

Clothing with physics will usually have HDT or SMP in the name. There is now a mod called Faster HDT-SMP which is a big improvement over the classic mod. The current version is 1.50.9-rc1. That will be needed to enable physics on cloaks, hair, and outfits. If you install it wrongly, you will notice instantly because anything with physics will stretch into the ground.
You will need to download them separately. If you run a lot of physics at once, it can slow the game. But it's a lot more optimised than years ago.
Edit: I should mention that you should try not to get overwhelmed by multi-tasking improvement on every aspect of the game at once, having dozens of tabs open, and wondering why the game crashes after installing big mods ten at a time. This is why I emphasise the categorical layout, so you can improve one area of the game (city visuals/combat systems/horses/etc.), get it working well, then direct your focus onto another area.
Edited by Guest