Best system for Morrowind

vaelta44

I did ask this question previously, specifically regarding whether Morrowind actually even uses modern GPUs. And the answer is basically "no".

So my question is, what is the best kind of system to play Morrowind on?

My current PC is very decent. 32 GB of good RAM, and a Geforce RTX 3050 that I bought specifically to boost Morrowind (before I found out that it effectively made no difference). However, my processor is now a very outdated i7. I get perfectly decent performance, but it can get a bit clunky after a while of playing (a save/load can slightly fix it).

The latest versions of MGE XE do seem to make use of the GPU's VRAM to cache textures, and I've noticed better performance (and far fewer out of memory CTDs) with those updates. But other than that, is Morrowind simply processor dependent? And if so, do people have any recommendations on which processor actually provides the best performance? Does it matter about number of cores/threads etc, given that Morrowind is a very old game?

Suggestions gratefully received!

For Morrowind, it is more about clock speed, than anything else. The faster the processor, the better performance you get. Consider, the game was designed back when multi-core processors were just becoming a thing. :D Even today, the 'updated' game engine can barely take advantage of 2 cores, let alone 16.....

Thanks.

So, does that mean my now pretty outdated i7-6700T may actually be pretty comparable (in terms of Morrowind performance) to any more modern 2.8Ghz clock speed processor?

If so, that's a bit depressing that a new rig won't significantly improve performance.

Does anybody have a really good guide on how to optimise Morrowind performance? Will Morrowind ever be able to utilise a modern GPU?

Edit:

So would a little system like this actually be really good for Morrowind (fast clock speed):

• AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G 4.2GHz cTDP: 45-65W
  • 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4
  • Radeon™ RX Vega 7 Graphics
Edited by vaelta44

• 7 months later...

from 2700x to 5800x3d, quick "benchmark" made savegames on a few locations with the 2700x and reloaded them after upgrade and compared fps, so take with a grain of salt.

Balmora from 26-28fps to 41-45fps

Mod landscape 1 33-34fps to 49-53fps

Mod landscape 2 34fps to ~59fps

Mod landscape 3 29fps to 49-52fps

Mod town 23fps to 38-42fps