ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

My new mod keeps crashing

Highlord90

Further EDIT: It totally sucks but it i think it was OCOb2 and Blockhead that messed with my save. Since removing them both it's been pretty stable. Man I love OCOv2 :'(

EDIT: I managed to get the game running without my mod and it still crashed at night time so I'm probably thinking its one of the mods I've downloaded and not my mod (thank goodness) but the problem remains that my game crashes at night so some help would still be appreciated as I'd like to know why.

So, as some may know, I'm trying to design my own mods now. I had a real good time creating this one in particular which adds a bunch of NPC's to the Imperial City that do things like gardening, sweeping the streets and so on to make it look like the city is actually maintained by a labor force instead of it just being clean and pretty without no apparent reason why.

i was feeling quite sure of myself that this mod wouldn't encounter ANY problems since it was running solely using animations and scrip packages from the TES Construction Set without any additional Meshes or Textures being added by me. I managed to fill up the Imperial Market District with 2 such NPC's to do the work and a Taskmaster for an alternate version of the mod where the workers are effectively a slave labor force (Seeing as the Imperials are based on the Romans it seem believable to me) for those who might want this alternate version.

So I finished with the Market district but as soon as I started adding workers/slaves to the Elven Gardens I started to encounter crashes, at first they were pretty much hardly ever happening I put it down to casual crashes.

Then they started happening more frequently as I moved to different districts and the crashes happened mostly at night or after I waited.

I would follow my NPC's around to make sure the scripts are working and not being skipped or ignored and during the day the scripts work great, they wake up, eat breakfast and I follow them as they alternate between areas for raking and sweeping. To do this I wait until the package ends by skipping ahead an hour or two depending on the length of the chore and it's always around the time they either eat at night or go to sleep that the crashes start happening. This never happened in the Mods first few days when I was scripting the Market Workers/Slaves so why is it happening now?

I now have 15 NPC's all running scripts that work (I say that loosely) and although they do everything I made them do it's not right that the game crashes every so often when they attempt to go to sleep or eat at night (or do anything at night). I thought to remove the esp and see if the crashes persisted but now, when I did that, Oblivion wont even open meaning my entire game is dependent on this file and that just isn't how I want my first big mod to be. The one that crashes your game :sad:

The current total packages that run on a daily basis in-game are 174 all of them made by me and tested and tweaked extensively to make sure they work which I can assure you they do save for the crashes.

I really need help to get around this problem. Am I running too many scripts at once maybe, is it clashing with another mod like Crowded Cities where the NPC's tend to change at night?

Please some info would be great!

Edited by Highlord90

It could be a timing problem.

I had a problem like this by myself.

If all Skripts and Packages start at the same time (and Oblivion only uses 1 GB max ram) it must crash. After waiting all packages will start at the same moment and You'll get an "overload". Let your workers start working in two hour distance and start half the packeges at 7 the other half at 8.

Harvald

That's a good idea only it'll mean I'll have to go and change so many times lol I haven't had a single crash since I removed Blockhead and Oblivion Character Overhaul v2 so I think I'm out of those woods. I'm almost finished adding NPC's to the Imperial City (Last thing I'm doing is giving personal servants/slaves to the rich merchants and nobles) then I'll move onto the outlying towns and Outer Districts in a separate mod each because I'm not sure if Open Cities will play nice and I don't want to ruin the work I've already done in the Imperial City.

Will NPC's added to towns with Open Cities not loaded in TES:CS appear if someone uses Open Cities?

Edited by Highlord90

It could be a timing problem.

I had a problem like this by myself.

If all Skripts and Packages start at the same time (and Oblivion only uses 1 GB max ram) it must crash. After waiting all packages will start at the same moment and You'll get an "overload". Let your workers start working in two hour distance and start half the packeges at 7 the other half at 8.

Harvald

I decided to change some times around anyway for extra stability