Need help with transparent texture DDS BGSM

Qrsr

Howdy,

i would like to replace some meshes (NIF), e.g. replace the texture (DDS) with a transparent texture to get rid of some world objects which are precombined [PlacedObject]. Im fairly new to all of that. The logic however doesnt seem to complex.

File type

• _d Diffuse/albedo (RGB of _d)
  • _n normal map (RG/XY of _n)
  • _s glossiness (R/X)
  • _s specular/reflectivity (B/Y)

Compression

• _d textures (dxt1/dxt5 compression, depending on alpha channel)
  • _n textures (3Dc/ATI2/BC5 compression)
  • _s textures (3Dc/ATI2/BC5 compression)

I setup everything appropiate, folder path, texture compression, etc., BUT somehow a specific mesh, once the texture (DDS) was replaced, show up as a white mesh?

So it seems that not all textures can be replaced? Is this hardcoded or some hidden NIF magic? I only replaced DDS files, is there some MWSP (material swap) going on, from my current scope the files where not attached to any BGSM.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of transparency is required? If you want to create a "glass" (translucent object) with the bsLightingFx material, use the Transform_changed parameter in the material settings, in nif. The dxt5 texture is used, where the alpha channel controls the transparency of the object. For real glass (effects, rays, traces) Bethesda uses a different bsEffectFx material. All materials with textures can be directly in nif, or rendered in bgem/bgsm for flexibility and variability. To set up materials in nif you need to use nifscope accordingly.In general, you need to find a ready-made example (nif/materials) and copy the settings to your nif/materials. Edited by South8028

I want to change PreCombined/PreVis objects i cant do much with changing or editing NIFs here. I need to change the material itself. Correct me if im wrong.

Already have the textures set and compressed as eitehr _d, _n, _s. All i needed to know is why it doesnt work for some objects.

Why cant i modify certain objects in the game world by swapping their texture in the data folder of FO4 ???

I want to change PreCombined/PreVis objects i cant do much with changing or editing NIFs here. I need to change the material itself. Correct me if im wrong.

Already have the textures set and compressed as eitehr _d, _n, _s. All i needed to know is why it doesnt work for some objects.

Why cant i modify certain objects in the game world by swapping their texture in the data folder of FO4 ???

Don't know. I can only suggest material settings for statics and actors. Sorry.

Thanks what you said will help another time ;)

Still drives me crazy that those objects dont totally vanish. There must be a trick ...

If the original texture wasn't transparent, the material should be altered to support the alpha channel.

So should the .nif file.

Each mesh (BSTriShape) with a transparent texture should have a 'NiAlphaProperty' next to the 'BSLightingShaderProperty'.

Some of the vanilla nifs do not have the property, yet they show up transparent, but those don't have a textureset applied. Afaict.

For the BGSM:

Make sure Alpha is set (typically 1,0000)

Alpha Blend Mode can be "Unknown"

Alpha Test Reference determines what becomes (fully) transparent & what remains opaque. Typically set to 128

Make sure Alpha Test is checked

That should do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm interesting so to sum it up;

- Alpha channel is set by alpha, blend mode, reference 128, alpha test

- NIF must have the NiAlphaProperty applied next to the BSLightingShaderProperty

- Mesh/NIF has a material attached (.bgsm)

- Material in turn leads to the texture and defines glow, shadows, etc., transparency

If i would in turn remove the property BSLightingShaderProperty the NIF would in turn appear transparent directly ? Or if i remove the material reference etc ?

Man that helpen already alot thank you RoNin1971

Edited by Qrsr

If i would in turn remove the property BSLightingShaderProperty the NIF would in turn appear transparent directly ?

Probably not. As you just removed any reference to the material (settings) and textures. It will probably show up white in Nifskope. (no textures)

and purple in CK. (textures not found). It could turn up invisible, but that's more the result of errors as the mesh being 'transparent'.

Or if i remove the material reference etc ?

That should work (just the material reference (= path to .BGSM)). You just won't be able to apply a material swap, as there is no material to swap. But it should show up correctly everywhere.

Using the material settings from the .nif (which are basically ignored if a BGSM (or BGEM) is applied.)

Edited by RoNin1971