OMOD And Instalation

Eastlin

I know this question has been posted before but i haven't found any forums that really answered my question.

I downloaded a couple MODS and they came out as .OMOD Now I know what to do with the .esp stuff but what the hell do I do with .OMOD files?

Main Oblivion Folder/obmm/mods

Put the OMOD there. Then it will appear on the right side of OBMM.

Click to activate. Blue = active. Also read the help files provided by OBMM.

One thing about OMODS is that you will not have access to the folders

should you want to use any meshes or textures, etc. for mods of your own

making.

Well, you have to get the "Oblivion Mod Manager" first... go search it on the Nexus...

After that, boot up OBMM and double-click the omod archive, which will be where you DL'd it to, and it should install itself in OBMM, click it and activate, then click on the .esp in the data files...that is all... :P

Last time I looked OMOD's didn't come with an esp.

esp's in the OBMM left column, OMOD's in the right.

I also reckon it is better to know where your OMOD's are

stored so you can remove the whole file after deactivating it

should you wish. No need to clutter your game folder, or HD for no good reason.

This goes for all mods. The "just extract" method may be quick and easy,

but is also quick and dirty, and the resultant lack of knowledge about what

the mod has done - where the files are - makes it hard to troubleshoot.

Most mods only take about two to three minutes longer if manually installed,

and you become more knowledgeable in the process.

@BossDweebe. OMODs create an esp when they are activated, along with placing all textures, meshes and other files in the proper subdirectories. Then if deactivated they remove ALL of the stuff they placed - Very handy for removing a mod completely.

@apocalypse1138, The OBMM on the Tesnexus is an old version - to get the latest version, along with all of the instructions and help go here: http://timeslip.chorrol.com/obmm_download.html

The newer version has a self installer that makes installing it easy.

@Eastlin, The instructions for using OBMM are very comprehensive and cover much more than just making and installing OMODs. Most of what you need is relating to using ready made Omods, you just place them in the special folder that OBMM creates for you when it is installed. You will find it in the same folder as the Data, but NOT in the data folder. usually C:\Programs and files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\OBMM\Mods

OMODS when unzipped have a suffix of .omod That is what will show up in the OBMM screen when you start it. A new OMOD should show any OMOD you have on the right side with a green block - that means it is not active. double click on it and it will activate itself. This may take a few minutes as it does a lot. Then when it is ready, the green block will turn blue. If you look, you will now have a new esp in the list on the left for that mod.

@BossDweebe. OMODs create an esp when they are activated, along with placing all textures, meshes and other files in the proper subdirectories. Then if deactivated they remove ALL of the stuff they placed - Very handy for removing a mod completely.

I was refering to apocalypse stating "then click on the .esp in the data files".

This would lead one to believe that there is a separate esp from the OMOD,

and as some mods come with manual install and OMOD options this may lead

some to think they should put in the esp as well as the OMOD.

In my second post I designated the difference between the OMOD column and the esp column in this regard.

I have installed both an esp version and an omod version myself. It's easy to do when you have a bunch of mods. Then to fix, deactivate the OMOD, and reactivate it. It will prompt you to overwrite all of the files that the OMOD didn't put in with its own - may involve a lot of pressing the enter button though. It needs a do all button.