How would I go about editing a spell effect's color?

EpicBlu

Okay, I've been working on a mod adding psionic magic to the game. So far, I've successfully implemented two skills, but I'm trying to add a third, and to do so, I want to modify the spell effect for vampiric drain, turning it purple. Is this even possible? Would doing so also turn the actual vampiric drain spell purple?

It's possible, but it requires NifSkope and changing some of the things in there to the colors you want as well as editing your base texture for the colors.

Edit; There's also some other things that one may or may not have to take out in NifSkope. Spells are tricky that way.

Edited by pheo3309

Nope! So long as you save everything under a different name. If you go on my Skyrim Nexus profile and look at some of my pictures, you'll see what I did to Sparks. All those are different meshes, textures, and all are different spells. :) So you don't have to worry about vanilla effects being changed unless you're changing the vanilla.

Alright; I have to bump again - can anyone help me determine which nodes I should be editing? I've been reading up on another user's thread about changing the color and texture of the flame spell, and he mentioned using photoshop to edit the gradient, but I have two problems. Firstly, I'm not sure how to open the gradient in photoshop; secondly, I'm not able to find the gradient node for the spell itself, as it doesn't seem to have one, unless I'm simply not looking in the right place.

Some .nifs seem to reference textures in a different way from the normal one... I think this is particularly true for things like spell effects. I tried to edit the lava surface mesh from Dawnguard but simply couldn't find any place where the texture path was referenced.