Dragon Age Crash

cabius

Re-read my first response. It identified the likely causes of your issue, gave some possibilities for resolving it, suggested a general approach for doing so, and was both polite and respectful. Another player added the observation that too many complex mods often cause this sort of trouble.

Your next post said that you were able to get past the point at which you had been stuck, but were "stuck" again. No indication of whether the advice previously provided had been tried, and if so, with what results. Simply said "Help me. Again."

I pointed out that no one is under any obligation to do so, and you said, "Everyone here [has] their head up their ass."

Who's got their head up their ass?

[EDIT: A review of your system specs as provided in your profile indicates that your rig is at-or-below the minimums for this game:

• RAM:

776 MB (game states it requires twice this)

• Graphics Card:
    Nvidia GeForce 8300GS
And from the nVidia Wiki article:
GeForce 8300 and 8400 Series

In the summer of 2007 NVIDIA released the entry-level GeForce 8300GS and 8400GS graphics cards, based on the G86 core. The GeForce 8300 was only available in the OEM market, and as the GeForce 8300 mGPU motherboard GPU. These graphics cards were not intended for intense 3D applications such as fast, high-resolution video games. They were originally designed to replace the 7200 and 7300 models, but could not due to their poor game performance. It was able to play modern games at playable framerates at low settings and low resolutions making it popular among casual gamers and HTPC (Media Center) builders without a PCI Express or AGP motherboard.

These factors might be contributing to your problems as well.]

I am not sure whose rig you are looking at, (perhaps I put my rig on my profile when I still lived with my Mom 4 years ago, when I would have still been using her computer) But I have 8 GB of ram, and an AMD 6970, I also have a mid level Intel I5, If you had payed attention to my first post you would know that. If It was a problem with my computer not being powerful enough I would know, do you not think I would mention something like "oh hey my PC is a pile of s#*! that can barely run any modern game on the lowest settings."? Also when I said people here SEEM to have their heads up their ass, BEFORE you "pointed out that no one is under any obligation to do so" I might add, I was referring to you and your clearly bad attitude. It is beyond me how you became a Moderator here ad you behavior is not that of someone I would ever consider making a moderator.I will also quote my post to disprove you, as you yet again try to put words in my mouth.

Ok the Patch fixed Denerim. I managed to get all the way up to the landsmeet. It now crashes upon trying to go to the castle for the landsmeet. Just thought I'd share.

Where in that post does it "Simply say 'Help me. Again."? Absolutely nowhere.

Obviously I had thought the plugin fixed my problem so I had no need to remove any mod, I came to let it be known that I had experienced another problem. I did not say "fix it". Also as I understand it removing the mod would break my game even more, hence the logical idea of trying to find another solution that does not involve starting a new game. You don't seem to understand that when I posted that I was not asking for anything, I was just sharing my experience with people who may have experienced it as well, and if I was lucky someone might come along and say "oh hey, here is what I found works". I would also like to add that I asked for help a grand total of One time in this thread. Please just leave my thread alone. Us arguing here solves absolutely nothing.

Re-read my first response. It identified the likely causes of your issue, gave some possibilities for resolving it, suggested a general approach for doing so, and was both polite and respectful. Another player added the observation that too many complex mods often cause this sort of trouble.

Your next post said that you were able to get past the point at which you had been stuck, but were "stuck" again. No indication of whether the advice previously provided had been tried, and if so, with what results. Simply said "Help me. Again."

I pointed out that no one is under any obligation to do so, and you said, "Everyone here [has] their head up their ass."

Who's got their head up their ass?

[EDIT: A review of your system specs as provided in your profile indicates that your rig is at-or-below the minimums for this game:

• RAM:

776 MB (game states it requires twice this)

• Graphics Card:
    Nvidia GeForce 8300GS
And from the nVidia Wiki article:
GeForce 8300 and 8400 Series

In the summer of 2007 NVIDIA released the entry-level GeForce 8300GS and 8400GS graphics cards, based on the G86 core. The GeForce 8300 was only available in the OEM market, and as the GeForce 8300 mGPU motherboard GPU. These graphics cards were not intended for intense 3D applications such as fast, high-resolution video games. They were originally designed to replace the 7200 and 7300 models, but could not due to their poor game performance. It was able to play modern games at playable framerates at low settings and low resolutions making it popular among casual gamers and HTPC (Media Center) builders without a PCI Express or AGP motherboard.

These factors might be contributing to your problems as well.]

I am not sure whose rig you are looking at, (perhaps I put my rig on my profile when I still lived with my Mom 4 years ago, when I would have still been using her computer) But I have 8 GB of ram, and an AMD 6970, I also have a mid level Intel I5, If you had payed attention to my first post you would know that. If It was a problem with my computer not being powerful enough I would know, do you not think I would mention something like "oh hey my PC is a pile of s*** that can barely run any modern game on the lowest settings."? Also when I said people here SEEM to have their heads up their ass, BEFORE you "pointed out that no one is under any obligation to do so" I might add, I was referring to you and your clearly bad attitude. It is beyond me how you became a Moderator here ad you behavior is not that of someone I would ever consider making a moderator.I will also quote my post to disprove you, as you yet again try to put words in my mouth.

Ok the Patch fixed Denerim. I managed to get all the way up to the landsmeet. It now crashes upon trying to go to the castle for the landsmeet. Just thought I'd share.

Where in that post does it "Simply say 'Help me. Again."? Absolutely nowhere.

Obviously I had thought the plugin fixed my problem so I had no need to remove any mod, I came to let it be known that I had experienced another problem. I did not say "fix it". Also as I understand it removing the mod would break my game even more, hence the logical idea of trying to find another solution that does not involve starting a new game. You don't seem to understand that when I posted that I was not asking for anything, I was just sharing my experience with people who may have experienced it as well, and if I was lucky someone might come along and say "oh hey, here is what I found works". I would also like to add that I asked for help a grand total of One time in this thread. Please just leave my thread alone. Us arguing here solves absolutely nothing.

As a player, not a moderator, I offered what little assistance I could. Thandal almost always (always that I have seen) has more detailed assistance than I can provide. And WAY more patience so take a moment to consider what I would have said :devil:

You have provided very very little information that can be used for anyone to help you and what is provided is so buried in your posts that I have no interest in trying to figure out what is useful and what is just an attack on Thandal.

IF you want help, rather than an opportunity to rant, you need to provide a list of mods, what you have already tried to fix the problem, what your set up is, and any other information that might be relevant to resolving your problem.

Or you can continue insulting Thandal and everyone who tries to help you. That method hasn't seemed particularly effective, but far be it for me to suggest that you should be polite. :rolleyes:

My first post gave my mos list and system specs. What I have tried is the patch that the mod author of IA created it fixed it all the way up to the landsmeet. I have not tried removing the mod because I would rather not completely break my save and have to start all over again. I was looking for alternatives. Also you can't expect me to just sit here and take it when someone blatantly lies about me, puts words in my mouth, and down right insults my intelligence. I will leave it at that, and from this point forward I will pretend nothing ever happened.

Edited by cabius

Unfortunately, the only suggestion that I can make is to remove IA. It is known to cause CTD (Crash To Desktop) and is notoriously hard to remove. I had it installed - for a while - and had to remove it because of the incredible issue with lag. I never made it to the Landsmeet; another site where it is known to CTD.

It is a lovely mod, but I can't play it on my desktop.

Someone else might be able to help you. I suggest trying on the IA project page.

Unfortunately, the only suggestion that I can make is to remove IA. It is known to cause CTD (Crash To Desktop) and is notoriously hard to remove. I had it installed - for a while - and had to remove it because of the incredible issue with lag. I never made it to the Landsmeet; another site where it is known to CTD.

It is a lovely mod, but I can't play it on my desktop.

Someone else might be able to help you. I suggest trying on the IA project page.

Thank you, And removing the mod broke your save once and for all I take it?

I have spoken with the Mod Author Kajana who says that the Landsmeet Crash is not caused by IA but likely a conflict between IA and one of my other mods. I will now begin removing one mod at a time to see what fixes it.

Edited by cabius

Nope, didn't break my save, but was a mess to get rid of.

I don't think that Kajana is the mod author. SpaceAlex is the author. It is possible that they are the same person, but unlikely. Having seen your list of mods.... I'm not surprised by the CTD. You have 3 or 4 mods that are resource intensive and it wouldn't surprise me if they are actually changing the same resources.

Good luck.

Any or all of the above could be the source of your CtDs. With the first one being the most likely.

Denerim is the most crash-prone area of the game. It actually uses a method of handling where the Party is and how they interact with the environment that's significantly different from all other areas.

On top of that, IA makes the most changes to the surrounding environments, and the actions going on there.

For example; in the Nov 2012 update to IA, the author of IA said:

- A temporary fix for the crash people are experiencing in Denerim and the Mage Tower during the Mage Origin section is available. All it does is unequip one of the new mage robes (found in the Apostate Clothes folder) from female mages. The game may still crash if either Morrigan or Wynne have one of the three new robes (Mage Tutor Robe, Dark Robe, or Apostate Clothes) equipped and are not being controlled by the player. Indeed, it seems the models for the new robes are incompatible with one or several of the female gesture animations, thus the game crashes when a character attempts to use the conflicting animation.

This is just one example of the kind of thing that can happen with IA.

Worse, once installed it can be impossible to uninstall IA (for a particular character's set of saves) because certain elements get "baked-in" to every save. Once this happens, saves made with IA cannot be loaded without it. Even "Force Load" won't work.

I think IA is an amazing piece of work. I've also found that "it doesn't work and play well with others", so I choose not to use it at all. :unsure:

(Oh, and I've seen some reports of more problems with newer AMD gpus compared with nVidia's. Might check drivers and/or google "AMD Dragon-Age".)

Hmmmmm... Re-posting my original response because... it gave you all the information anyone has regarding your issue. And it told you the most likely cause of your problem. That it wasn't the solution you wanted can't be helped.

No one put any words in your mouth (go ahead, double-check what was said.) It was your tone and (apparent) unwillingness to provide any additional technical information about the situation ("Ok, got to the Landsmeet", doesn't say what you did to get there) which prompted the unsympathetic "Player Beware" reply. The only personal insults being hurled in this entire thread are from you.

[EDIT: And are you still playing DAO on a machine with 776MB RAM and the nVidia 8300GS video card?]

Any or all of the above could be the source of your CtDs. With the first one being the most likely.

Denerim is the most crash-prone area of the game. It actually uses a method of handling where the Party is and how they interact with the environment that's significantly different from all other areas.

On top of that, IA makes the most changes to the surrounding environments, and the actions going on there.

For example; in the Nov 2012 update to IA, the author of IA said:

- A temporary fix for the crash people are experiencing in Denerim and the Mage Tower during the Mage Origin section is available. All it does is unequip one of the new mage robes (found in the Apostate Clothes folder) from female mages. The game may still crash if either Morrigan or Wynne have one of the three new robes (Mage Tutor Robe, Dark Robe, or Apostate Clothes) equipped and are not being controlled by the player. Indeed, it seems the models for the new robes are incompatible with one or several of the female gesture animations, thus the game crashes when a character attempts to use the conflicting animation.

This is just one example of the kind of thing that can happen with IA.

Worse, once installed it can be impossible to uninstall IA (for a particular character's set of saves) because certain elements get "baked-in" to every save. Once this happens, saves made with IA cannot be loaded without it. Even "Force Load" won't work.

I think IA is an amazing piece of work. I've also found that "it doesn't work and play well with others", so I choose not to use it at all. :unsure:

(Oh, and I've seen some reports of more problems with newer AMD gpus compared with nVidia's. Might check drivers and/or google "AMD Dragon-Age".)

Hmmmmm... Re-posting my original response because... it gave you all the information anyone has regarding your issue. And it told you the most likely cause of your problem. That it wasn't the solution you wanted can't be helped.

No one put any words in your mouth (go ahead, double-check what was said.) It was your tone and (apparent) unwillingness to provide any additional technical information about the situation ("Ok, got to the Landsmeet", doesn't say what you did to get there) which prompted the unsympathetic "Player Beware" reply. The only personal insults being hurled in this entire thread are from you.

[EDIT: And are you still playing DAO on a machine with 776MB RAM and the nVidia 8300GS video card?]

Ok as I said I will forget everything that has been said in this thread, Perhaps I took your tone in an unintended way. That is the problem with written communication after all. I will change my tone right here and right now.

What do you mean by "what I did to get there"? I got to the landsmeet by playing the game, doing the quests that lead up to the landsmeet. Also You must have missed what I said in one of my posts, or what I posted in the first post. No I am not playing on a low quality machine. My specs are as follows...

AMD Radeon 6970 2GB

8 GB RAM

Intel i5 Quadcore with 2.67Ghz

I will update the specs on my profile to alleviate any further confusion on the subject.

Also I am talking with Kojana who I assumed to be the mod author because they know quite a bit about the mod. He/She has suggested using a less taxing texture mod since the engine was never meant to handle a lot of the mods we throw at it. Kojana suggests I try Theta HD. I will take everything into consideration, and if removing other mods does not fix my problem I will Remove IA, since it seems like it will be quite a big deal to remove.

Edited by cabius

Ok, you got past the CtD in "Denerim" problem, (the original issue, if you recall) and made it to the Landsmeet.

Great! Now, what did you do differently (from when the game was crashing) that allowed you to get that far?

Regardless, I agree that overloading the game with texture mods is a recipe for disaster. I have between 30 and 50 mods installed at any one time, for a total of approximately 2GB worth. I have had no CtD issues (since installing the 1.05 patch) but I have NO texture mods at all. (And as indicated earlier, I removed IA a long time ago due to its inability to play nice with other mods.)

Ok, you got past the CtD in "Denerim" problem, (the original issue, if you recall) and made it to the Landsmeet.

Great! Now, what did you do differently (from when the game was crashing) that allowed you to get that far?

Regardless, I agree that overloading the game with texture mods is a recipe for disaster. I have between 30 and 50 mods installed at any one time, for a total of approximately 2GB worth. I have had no CtD issues (since installing the 1.05 patch) but I have NO texture mods at all. (And as indicated earlier, I removed IA a long time ago due to its inability to play nice with other mods.)

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you but I did nothing differently to get that far, Installing the patch offered on the IA mod page fixed the crash, so all I had to do is play as I normally would. Unless that is what you mean? If so what I did differently to get the landsmeet is I installed the patch on the mod page.