Original Mods getting bumped down the list

spligitmoose

I'm getting really frustrated at the fact that I can upload an original mod, built around an idea that I know I haven't seen on FO3Nexus before, only to have it bumped of the recent uploads list in a day by a million other "AK47!", "Power armor retex" and various other commonly occurring mods. I may just be being selfish and self important, but surely there are plenty of other modders with original ideas and half decent mods that get annoyed at this too.

I guess what I'm getting at is I wish people would look through the database before creating and uploading a mod that already exists. Case and point is the Lever Rifle mod, and a mod I got to increase what you can give to the Outcasts. I thought they would make great mods, so I went looking instead of creating first.

I'm all for creating, but it's like if you built 2 Sydney Harbor Bridges, one after the other, next to each other, but built by different people. The first bridge people would admire and cherish, the second people would think was just a copy. Then if a third, totally revolutionary bridge was built, the people would just think "Oh, great, ANOTHER bridge...". See what I'm getting at?

I just felt the need to vent. That is all. Feel free to vent with me.

No more annoyed than by the fact that "Rock Around The Clock" is not at the top of the Billboard charts.

The least original ideas that require the least effort will of course have the most duplicated uploads. Power armor retextures are common as weeds, while new working power armor meshes are few. The reason for that is because the new armors take much more time and skill to create than a simple retex. Apart from outright cloning and taking credit for another person's mod, I see no reason why anyone should avoid pursuing an idea just because someone else has already done something similar. The new result may be better than the older one.

What is the oldest argument in the world? "I was here first."

If a single mod seems to get lost in the shuffle, it may also be that people just aren't that into it. Even if they are into it, the audience is fickle.

You make your mod and you are proud of your work so you upload it. You might get some ego strokes if people like it, but that is about all. No royalty payments will be forthcoming and counting on other people to enjoy and cherish your efforts as much as you have done is setting yourself up for disappointment.

At best, mods are an art form that should be done for their own sake. If you upload one, then let it go where it will and move onto another one if you enjoy the process.

I don't really consider this a problem. It's not a competition as to whom gets the most users of their mods, and though it can be annoying to see your mod "disappear" into obscurity because it gets bumped by other mods, it's just something that happens.

I think a bigger issue is the fact that the mod cateogries here at the Nexus are a bit jumbled and quite broad, which makes it quite difficult finding mods for specific purposes. For instance, if I wanted to browse the mod section for combat armour retextures, I'd have to first browse the armour section and check every single page (of which 50% will be power armour retexes) and see if I can find something interesting, and then browse the models/textures section in case someone had put their work there instead of in the armour section.

This means that actually finding those great and original mods gets really, really difficult because chances are you will overlook them as everything is just mashed together in the same jumbled mess of a category.

Well, here are some ideas. You may have already considered these, but just in case you haven't...

You can hop back onto the recent updated list by adding or changing an image, and maybe even just the description.

Make sure you name your mod well and put some thought in the short description. That'll help make your mod stand out in the listings.

When I'm looking for a particular type of mod, I'll put in a search term or two and then browse the results, bookmarking or tracking interesting finds to look at later. While I'm doing the initial run through, I only click on those with a decent blurb in the short description that shows up on the results pages, and if applicable, only those with images attached. (Something like, say, a tweak to a vanilla weapon's damage, or a radio mod, doesn't really need a picture, so when looking at such mods I wouldn't care if it had pics or not)

But don't fret too much about rolling off the recent list. When I'm looking for an Armor or NPC mod, I'll go right to the category and then sort by last update. I don't give retexes a second glance most times. Many times when I do "just browse" I'm looking for something that I couldn't think of a search term for.

But maybe that's just me.