Getting Started with Modding?

thorax232

I'd like to start modding with Starfield, but I'm looking for information on how to start. I'm a Software Engineer by trade, I took a look at the CreationKit docs, they are woefully scarce on information. But I hear that's normal for modding. But there is no CreationKit for Starfield? How are people creating mods already? Is it just asset replacement?

I have a couple mod ideas and would like to now the practicality and how to go about them. If they're possible without CK, how can I write and get these scripts into the game?

1. Place marker on nearest available quest giver, or nearest active quest waypoint, whichever is closer. Maybe even add a way to prioritize timed quests. I feel like this would be a cool and smooth way to do everything. I really liked using FallComplete and SkyComplete, but I think this would be a neat way to keep your "route" efficient-ish.

2. A way to mark items for sell in your inventory, then next time you're in a trade menu, use a sell all button that would sell as much as the vendor can afford.

The mods that you see being posted are fairly simple ones that do noy need the Creations Kit (which may not be available for a number of months) or xEdit (also which may not be available for a while - though there is a extremely experimental version that allows you to see some \records in the game - but not edit them).

The mods that you indicate you are interested in would require those tools - so until they are released, the only thing that you can do at this stage is to plan in your head what you would want to include.

Good luck, however, and I'm sure people will be looking forward to seeing what you create!