Fixed Someone Else's Mod?

OBmodist

I'm having a bit of a dilemma here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/36151/?

This is my favorite Desert Eagle mod. It comes in all three calibers, it includes versions of the gun that are not too flashy, but it also has flashy versions for those who want it, and it includes a version that shows the recoil blowback animation...

Or it did, up through 2.4. But TorchedBlade, the modder, forgot to include that version of it in 2.5, and 2.5 has too many good features to be ignored. Also, he wrote a "7" where he meant to write a "70" in an aim setting, and this resulted in one of the six guns having an iron sight zoom that would rival a sniper rifle, as if you were sticking the iron sights in your nose. From the posts on his mod page, I'm not the only person who was disappointed that he forgot the blowback version in 2.5, and I'm not the only one who noticed the zoom bug either.

I noticed TorchedBlade hasn't been active for a while, but I couldn't wait. I just had to go in and try to fix these issues myself... and fix them I did. I found a way to put the blowback animation back in, and fix the zoom. I changed the final file, added some notes, and in-game it works perfectly. I'm so happy that it came out the way I did, and I'm sure many other people would be happy to have this fix too. But can I upload it? It's somebody else's base work. And I know Caliber would be cool with it (his mod uses caliber), but TorchedBlade doesn't mention anything on his mod page about people editing his mod whether he's for it or against it. He does include resource-only files without the esps, which would imply that maybe he'd be okay with it, but that's about all the evidence he gives one way or the other.

So what I'm asking is, can I upload my fixed version of his mod's esp? Or would that be a violation of his stuff?

Quite a conundrum. I would send TorchedBlade a messaged and if he doesn't reply in quite a while, upload a redux of his mod. Make sure to have something like Redux in the title, so people know you are continuing someone else's outdated work. Make sure to give full credits to him. If he doesn't explicitly say not to use anything, then the worst that can happen is he comes back online and tells you to take it down.

Edited by DragonDude1029

You do not have his permission to release the file, so you do not have permission to release the file. He actually does provide information on this:

"Modification permission
You must get permission from me before you are allowed to modify my files to improve it."

Soooo that pretty much says no, you may not get in trouble but its best you know the etiquette for any future stuff you want to upload. To find more information on mod permissions go into the action area and hit the Perms section, it will bring up info on the modders choices.

You do not have his permission to release the file, so you do not have permission to release the file. He actually does provide information on this:

"Modification permission

You must get permission from me before you are allowed to modify my files to improve it."

Soooo that pretty much says no, you may not get in trouble but its best you know the etiquette for any future stuff you want to upload. To find more information on mod permissions go into the action area and hit the Perms section, it will bring up info on the modders choices.

It would make sense for nexus to encourge modders to put statements on their mods saying their original mods dont require permission but only credit to where credit is due.

there are so many mods out there that start out good but are sucky and unpolished. Usually because of a loss of interest in their own mods. This could really benefit from other modder development.