Space Suit Realism

Carnotorium389

The logic around the use of space suits in Starfield is bonkers. You come near to a gas vent and you get gas poisoning or a lung disease - within a hermetic sealed suit! You walk on a planet with -18 degree celsius and you get nasty frostbites real fast, but on a moon with -180 degree celsius - no problemo. Then try it nude, it do not instantly kills or freezes you - you just drop dead, after 25 seconds or so, depending on your level. Where the "Nasa Punk" in that, where the environmental dangers are appear arbitrary.

Could someone look into that: No gas poisoning while in space suit, temperature protection depending on the quality of the space suit. Corrosive may be given some time to take effect and radiation are fine in vanilla, i think.

agreed. better space suit protection or at least it making sense.

temperatures below a certain point within an atmosphere would freeze you but sometimes the temperature is simply not this cold.

the suit is either very good or useless against environmental concerns. if its very good you can usually ignore it, if its useless well you still ignore it but now your taking health damage or having your max health reduced.

Indeed, If I am wearing a suit designed to keep me alive in the vacuum of space, a sandstorm should be irrelevant. Along with things like snow, freezing rain, etc. I could see how the corrosive stuff could be a problem, but, just a chlorine gas vent? Should be able to stand in it all day....

Yeah, this also seemed dumb to me, almost like they rushed this part in order to put the game out. Honestly, when running around on a planet with a breathable atmosphere without a space suit on or with the helmet off, the oxygen/CO2 meter should really be swapped out with an old school stamina bar that doesn't damage health. How are you going to die of hypoxia when you're not wearing a space suit and have access to plenty of breathable air? At least with the helmet on, you could make the argument that your character is outpacing the suit's ability to recycle its available air supply.

Such rushed game design... no wonder the game doesn't feel as immersive as it should.

Suits, at the very least, should have varying degrees of protection against certain environmental conditions based on insulation amount, if the suit is not insulated enough against certain temperatures THEN you should have to worry about heat exhaustion/being roasted alive or frostbite/hypothermia, and I agree completely with the poison gas vents, and really radiation should also be a non factor with a space suit on. They really messed up that whole system, in my opinion...

The level and type of protection should also depend on the environmental conditions where a suit is purchased, found, or looted. For example, you would have a better chance at finding a suit that protects against extreme cold on say Pluto, or extreme heat and acid resistance on Venus, or any other planets with similar conditions, or something like that, also the space suit undergarment should add to hot and cold protection, if you choose to wear that underneath your suit. Again, they REALLY skimped on that part, and Todd's comments about "not wanting to make things too complicated" really come across to me as more of an excuse, and a bad one at that.

Edited by Mythos214

Yeah, this also seemed dumb to me, almost like they rushed this part in order to put the game out. Honestly, when running around on a planet with a breathable atmosphere without a space suit on or with the helmet off, the oxygen/CO2 meter should really be swapped out with an old school stamina bar that doesn't damage health. How are you going to die of hypoxia when you're not wearing a space suit and have access to plenty of breathable air? At least with the helmet on, you could make the argument that your character is outpacing the suit's ability to recycle its available air supply.

Such rushed game design... no wonder the game doesn't feel as immersive as it should.

Suits, at the very least, should have varying degrees of protection against certain environmental conditions based on insulation amount, if the suit is not insulated enough against certain temperatures THEN you should have to worry about heat exhaustion/being roasted alive or frostbite/hypothermia, and I agree completely with the poison gas vents, and really radiation should also be a non factor with a space suit on. They really messed up that whole system, in my opinion...

The level and type of protection should also depend on the environmental conditions where a suit is purchased, found, or looted. For example, you would have a better chance at finding a suit that protects against extreme cold on say Pluto, or extreme heat and acid resistance on Venus, or any other planets with similar conditions, or something like that, also the space suit undergarment should add to hot and cold protection, if you choose to wear that underneath your suit. Again, they REALLY skimped on that part, and Todd's comments about "not wanting to make things too complicated" really come across to me as more of an excuse, and a bad one at that.

Sounds like a good idea for a mod. :D

The more environments your suit protects you from, the heavier it should be. 'Cause somehow, "sneaking' while wearing a space suit?? HHhmmmm.......

• 2 weeks later...

I listed some potential survival mechanics in many mod concepts posts.

Realistic o2 tanks, duct tape to patch suit leaks, certain guns freezing in the cold or overheating in the heat, wind storms blowing the player around, radiation disrupting scanners, etc.

Yes, aerosols, heat, cold, etc should have to cause suit tear before player effects.