Chinese power armour

xaechireon

There's the probability that with the loads of Chinese spies all over America, and China's own advanced pre-war tech, that China developed its own power armour shortly before the great war, and possibly shipped a prototype over. I think.

I can't currently do any modeling, but I thought up a concept. Anyone interested, remotely?

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/179/1/0/Chinese_power_armour_by_Xechireon.png

Also, if you're going to post here to tell me my drawing skills are awesome, save it, please. This is a concept art thread, not an drawing skills exhibition.

From a "lore" perspective, Chinese power armour would probably be more bulky than the U.S versions considering they would be further behind in the development process. I think your concept doodle is a good start, maybe make the general outline more chunky along the lines of Red Alert 2 - 3 tesla trooper suits.

2 reasons why I didn't want to make it clunky looking.

1. The power armour was based off the Chinese Stealth armour, the only real piece of Chinese pre war tech (There's the Chimera in O:A, but we don't know how much of that was Constantine's fabrication) and its like a wired up catsuit.

2. From what I gather, the more advanced the power armour, the bulkier it is. T-45Ds don't even look like you need training to wear them, while T-51Bs look really big. Or Enclave Hellfire Armor, although that's another type.

I'll take RA tesla armor into consideration, still.

2 reasons why I didn't want to make it clunky looking.

1. The power armour was based off the Chinese Stealth armour, the only real piece of Chinese pre war tech (There's the Chimera in O:A, but we don't know how much of that was Constantine's fabrication) and its like a wired up catsuit.

2. From what I gather, the more advanced the power armour, the bulkier it is. T-45Ds don't even look like you need training to wear them, while T-51Bs look really big. Or Enclave Hellfire Armor, although that's another type.

I'll take RA tesla armor into consideration, still.

Looking forward to seeing it. I was just thinking that as you improve a specific technology it tends to get smaller due to more compact designs, and since a lore "correct" Chinese Power Armour would most likely be at early post-prototype stages, it would by that principle be quite bulky.

However considering that microchips basically are non-existant in the Fallout universe, it also somehow makes sense that the more advanced something gets and the more advanced electronics it uses, the larger it has to be due to needing more radio-tubes and whatnot incorporated in the design.

In any case, the general tech level in the Fallout universe is quite inconsistent at any rate so "anything goes". :)

However considering that microchips basically are non-existant in the Fallout universe, it also somehow makes sense that the more advanced something gets and the more advanced electronics it uses, the larger it has to be due to needing more radio-tubes and whatnot incorporated in the design.

I can't see how sentrybots or computer terminals could operate without microchips. A Univac computer that operated with vacuum tubes was the size of a building and all it could do was compute the trajectory of artillery shells. Power armor would need microchips.

Personally, I would like to see sleeker power armor designs; something more like the armor in the pic below. Fallout power armor seems to be based more on anime type power suits than on workable combat armor. All of the big chunky extensions on FO3 power armor are just projectile traps. If you look at modern tank and APV designs, you can see that armor is designed to redirect projectiles and concussion at an angle away from the occupants. Trapping force against the armor tends to make it come apart.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/US_Army_powered_armor.jpg/380px-US_Army_powered_armor.jpg

I can't see how sentrybots or computer terminals could operate without microchips. A Univac computer that operated with vacuum tubes was the size of a building and all it could do was compute the trajectory of artillery shells. Power armor would need microchips.

I think it depends on your perspective. If you look at Fallout as a "1950's world of tomorrow" gone horribly wrong, most consumer electronics would still be based on radio tubes which is also evidenced in the intro movie of the game (most notable the radio).

Military equipment might be different, however most of the mainframe grade computers in the game do in fact fill up several rooms, which, if advanced microchip technology was readily available, probably wouldn't be the case. Rather I'd like to think that the Fallout'ians have developed radiotube technology to a point where they aren't that huge - considering they have tech to stuff a fission reactor into a car, I don't think that would be a too far out notion.

It's all in the mind of the player though as little concise information is available on the "average" technology level of the society. :biggrin:

I think it depends on your perspective. If you look at Fallout as a "1950's world of tomorrow" gone horribly wrong, most consumer electronics would still be based on radio tubes which is also evidenced in the intro movie of the game (most notable the radio).

Military equipment might be different, however most of the mainframe grade computers in the game do in fact fill up several rooms, which, if advanced microchip technology was readily available, probably wouldn't be the case. Rather I'd like to think that the Fallout'ians have developed radiotube technology to a point where they aren't that huge - considering they have tech to stuff a fission reactor into a car, I don't think that would be a too far out notion.

It's all in the mind of the player though as little concise information is available on the "average" technology level of the society. :biggrin:

I think the presence of holodisks shoots your theory to hell. Quantum computing would explain the degree of sophistication inherent in most of Fallouts advanced electronics.

I think the presence of holodisks shoots your theory to hell. Quantum computing would explain the degree of sophistication inherent in most of Fallouts advanced electronics.

If you read the entry in the Fallout wiki on Holotapes they are not holograms but actual tapes which can store an incredible amount of data, some can hold as much as 256k., so I think it's a pretty bad example of the Fallout civilization's "sophistication" in computer technology.

Anyway, this is only my opinion and there are a lot of other takes on it. If you look at what is there, to me, it seems more likely that microchips aren't in wide use but some kind of other, more bulky computer tech is and the only other computer technology I can think of which would fit the 1950's vision of the future would be advanced radiotube/transistor machines.

In any case, to return to the subject at hand, I think a good idea would be plowing through the Fallout wiki and check out the sections on Power Armour - it's stated the Chinese were years behind the U.S in developing their own version, so a more "primitive" suit would probably in order if you want to adhere somewhat close to the background history.

Or you can just go nuts and design something unique. :biggrin:

Except in FO3 one can fit the entire archive of the Arlington public library onto a single holotape, so either we're to assume either a prodigous compression ratio, an exceedingly small archive, or that 256k number is garbage.