Oblivion Game Balance

Kissimurra

But if all (or most) things were levelled then there would be no reason to level up, Kissimurra is right.

I would not level up just to get some higher numbers, I do that because then my character is ready to fight the enemy that he knew was hard before he went training.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There aren't clearly marked borders that say "this is a 20th level area". It's just stupid to have large areas of the game inacsessable at lower levels, but with no sign until the first monster kills you.

Well, That wasnt what I meant, It should be more dynamic. You should be able to go there, but you shouldnt be able to stay alive that very long. No border like: you must reach level 20 to gain acces to this area" That would be really stupid and destroy the atmosphere.

Perhaps we shouldnt take this statement to seriously, but I really hate the idea of being able to go wherever you want whenever you want without needing to level up.

Thats stupid.

If you will need to level up to be able to stay alive in harder areas and to get better weapons/armours etc, the game will last longer, It will take longer time to explore the whole world and to get all the rare items etc.

I want to go to solstheim first which means tedious leveling up....
Sure you do, but what would be the point? Bloodmoon and tribunal were MADE for higher level characters still wanting some fun not for any level 1 character to go and explore like it is a carnival.

it would also be stupid to have lets say a nix-hound be just as tough as it were in level 1 as it is in level 35!

You should be able to go there, but you shouldnt be able to stay alive that very long. No border like: you must reach level 20 to gain acces to this area" That would be really stupid and destroy the atmosphere.
this is exactly how it is in any other Elder scrolls game! You would be decimated by the first creature you fight but thats how it goes. if everything was all of the same (as if it were following previous leveled items) then every creature from the start of the game your character would be capable of killing it.

They could solve it like the guys from Pyranha Bytes who created Gothic II (who can easily compete with Morrowind, by the way): Almost everything is accessible from the beginning, but don't be surprised to be killed all the time when you try to attack something stronger than yourself or venture into a dangerous area. Use common sense and stay near inhabited areas, at least for the beginning. And the people tell you, where it is dangerous, so it would be a good advise to acctually listen to what the NPCs are saying (if an NPC says to you "Don't enter the forest without proper equipment", this is serious and not just a joke; don't think 'Hell, I'm the hero and I can go where ever I like to', or else you will be dead pretty soon).

I think, this is more logical and fits better. I mean, in our world you can walk right into a war zone or wilderness, if you want to, but you will probably die, unless you have survival/combat skills.

Don't forget peoples - leveling isn't linear. I may be reading too much into it, but I think, although the creatures will level up with you, your own versatility and ability to lay the smackdown (sorry) on them will improve by an even greater degree. Level doesn't linearly relate to the ability of the character, although it often does relate linearly to the strength of a monster. Therefore, although rats and nixhounds will have more hp and be a little stronger, you'll probably be able to lay them out with a poisoned arrow or with a simple drain attribute spell at higher levels.

Also, it said the areas level up - that probably means that although the creatures themselves might level up a bit, the creature population in that area changes. IE, more of same creature, or some stronger creatures - like the progression from Lesser Bonewalkers to Bonewalkers to Greater Bonewalkers - or Ancestral Ghosts to Bonelords or something like that. You might enter a dungeon fighting a few skeletons and a couple ancestral ghosts, or at a higher level they might be Bonelords and some giant undead centipede (or some other new undead :D)

Morrowind did this too. The creatures you encountered would be different (with the idea of them being stronger) depending on your level. However, it basically tapered off at about level 10.

I am certainly not against this, so long as it's reasonable. There shouldn't be hordes of daedra running rampant throughout the wilds because I'm level 60.

This was the whole quote:

"But what else is going into game balance? Recall that I mentioned the Oblivion gates leading to hellish worlds populated by Daedra. Those fans of previous Elder Scrolls titles, such as Morrowind, know that Daedra are high-level enemies who can be a threat even to high-level players. Not too far into the game, the main character will be exploring those Oblivion worlds, populated as they are by Daedra, and this is where we can see the mechanisms the team at Bethesda has in place to maintain game balance: the areas level with you. The fundamental philosophy the Oblivion team had was that the player should be able to go wherever they want whenever they want without having to tediously level up first. So maybe when you go into your first Oblivion gate, you will meet low-level Daedra, while a few hours later, when the world inside the gate respawns and you are more powerful, there will be more powerful enemies and better loot. The intention is for the game to grow with the player, allowing them to integrate themselves into the world. "

This sounds like it fundamentally defeats the purpose of a role playing game! So, as a fresh newbie I can wander in a dungeon and kill a few "low-level Daedra" and happily collect some low-level loot and leave. SAY WHAT?!?! What is teh difference between a low-level Daedra and a high-level mouse? nothing, apparently!

if this is true, this will be deal breaker for me. what a bummer if it is true...

This sounds like it fundamentally defeats the purpose of a role playing game!  So, as a fresh newbie I can wander in a dungeon and kill a few "low-level Daedra" and happily collect some low-level loot and leave.

What you meant to say was "this fundamentally defeats the purpose of a roll-playing game." Since a roleplaying game has things like a story, character development, exploration, you know, those things besides tables of statistics. If all rpgs are to you is gaining levels, go play Diablo 2 or something like that.

Archived