Abandoned Scripts and CTD

tonicmole

99% of the time when someone has weird CTD when entering a specific location, I have found it is due to an old loose script which got left behind when a mod was uninstalled...not so well. Happened to me more then a few times. You have to delete your script folder and re-install every single mod. My question is has anyone ever found something that can scan esp's and then scan the script folder to point out abandoned script files?

If you remove scripted mods, leaving the script behind or not, you are going to break your savegame horribly sooner or later, and most likely sooner (not all scripts do this, it's not an iron-clad rule, but close enough - it's just not a good thing to do). Installing a scripted mod = you're stuck with it for this playthrough. People should really have learned this about skyrim already. References to specific versions of scripts get baked into your save.

On a new save/game the loose script file can not run if there is no esp/esm telling the game engine to run it, unless it replaced vanilla scripts.

To answer your specific question, I'm not aware of such a tool (when doing manual installs anyway), but people who do the whole "hey, let's yank some scripted mods from my in-progress game" aren't going to benefit much, I think.

Nothing wrong with scripts intrinsically, they can add wonderful new experiences and extend the game far past what was originally thought of, but they do come with limitations that people should be aware of - one of them is you shouldn't just casually remove them from in-progress games.