MO2 failing to parse a plugin, log says not found even though it's visible in Explorer.

HDMFanatic

Exactly what is in the title.

I've generated a bunch of patches for Modpocalypse NPCs using Modpocalypse's script but one of the patches isn't being found by MO2 even though it's visible in Windows Explorer and in MO2's VFS. I've also got no issue opening the file in xEdit either. It's only MO2 that can't seem to read the file.

I've tried deleting all the patches and regenerating them after running MO2 as an administrator with no luck.

Not sure what you mean exactly. MO2 does not read or parse plugins. It merely shows them in their priority mod folders and within the plugin list. If the plugin is appearing in MO2, but not being loaded by the game, that is more likely due to having more plugins than the game can handle.

Honestly, this is the first time for it happening to me, so I'm not sure what's going on. I can only post what's in my log file:

[2023-10-23 21:54:40.382 E] failed to parse plugin file C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\mods\Modpocalypse NPCs Patches 1\[xPatch] Modpocalypse NPCs (v3) SSE - Creation Club Integration - Anniversary Edition Orcish Outfit Addon - Kosho'sBikinirim - Unofficial Skyrim Modders Patch.esp: file not found

[2023-10-23 21:54:40.384 E] failed to parse plugin file C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\mods\Modpocalypse NPCs Patches 1\[xPatch] Modpocalypse NPCs (v3) SSE - Crossbow Integration - Expanded Crossbow Pack Orcish Extension - Creation Club Integration - Anniversary Edition Orcish Outfit Addon.esp: file not found

Oddly enough, this doesn't happen if I leave my files in my overwrite. It's almost as if MO2 loses track of the files once I move them from the overwrite into a normal mod folder.

Logically speaking that very well may be the problem, I'll try renaming the patches for concisity before moving them into a normal mod folder to see if it makes a difference.

Shortening the file names removed the "file not found" problem but since the patches were script generated shortening the names of files that were "masters" of other files kinda messes things up, and I'm not sure there's a way to rename things with xEdit and make sure masters are still correct.

Edit: Perhaps instead of generating an insane amount of patches using the xEdit script which often ends up with longer names than MO2 can handle, using the Synthesis FaceFixer might be enough to ensure my appearance changers will go as intended regardless of my other mods.