28 members have voted

1. 1. Age and Favored game please.

• Fallout 3 - 15 to 25
    • Fallout 3 - 25 to 35
    • Fallout 3 - 35+
    • Oblivion - 15 to 25
    • Oblivion - 25 to 35
    • Oblivion - 35+

I'm a curious guy by my nature and I am wondering, which game attracts which crowd? Does Oblivion have a more mature audience than Fallout 3 or is it the other way around? Are older gamers more intrigued by the adult themes of Fallout 3 or does it dazzle the younger gamers. Does the freedom of Oblivion's fantasy setting appeal to the younger gamers or older?

I am posting a poll, but that's only part of the question. If you vote in the poll please be kind enough to leave at least a short description of why your chosen game suits you better than the other, this I hope will engender a thoughtful discussion of the topic in question.

Personally, I'm 27 and for me, Fallout 3 is the more interesting of the two. Don't get me wrong, I love Oblivion and it will always have a special place in my heart, but there is something about the bleak grim post-holocaust world of Fallout 3 that inspires my imagination in a way that the fantasy setting of Oblivion cannot. The mix of realism and futuristic sci-fi contained in Fallout 3, with it's more mature themes and sense of humor appeals to me. I have always been fascinated by 'End of the world' scenarios, films and books that take place in such settings, things like Mad Max and the Dark Tower series, speak to me and make me imagine what it could be like living with the total freedom inherent in such a world.

Please pardon the double post, but I can't be the only one who prefers Fallout 3 to Oblivion can I ? I'm the only vote for it, lol. Also, doesn't anybody have anything to say about why they prefer Oblivion over Fallout3 ?

I prefer gunz in real life.

I have experience with gunz in real life and find the game counterparts a bit irritating for realism but understand there has to be a fun factor.

I prefer swords and armor for my games.

I have no experience with swords and armor in real life so it is still all magical to me. hehehe.

LHammonds

35+ Oblivion Gamer Girl here. :yes: I much prefer the fantasy world over the pseudo-realism of Fallout to play in. In fact, the only wargame I do play on a regular basis is Medal of Honor and I play that online with a clan.

Oblivion and long before it, Morrowind pull me in and take me out of my life and allow me to express myself in any way I want as both a player and a modder. The Lore of the Elder Scrolls is also something near and dear to me. As an armchair historian, I appreciate the thought and care that went in to it's creation...and the sometimes hysterical lapses in the Lore as well. :P

I just don't feel the same connection to Fallout's game world.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand both of your replies, they seem completely reasonable to me as well. I also enjoy the pure fantasy of Oblivion, I also like some of the game mechanics a lot more than Fallout 3 as well.

It seems like the majority of the more mentally mature gamers on nexus have a preference for Oblivion. I wonder why the pure fantasy setting attracts that crowd more than the less mature group of gamers.

(I mean no offense to anyone by using the word mature, I'm not trying to imply some are 'old' and others are 'childish', lol, I just couldn't think of a better word to use.)

I am old, but I spent a lifetime with a gun. Prefer to have more to imagine in a game, I play to escape the realities of the world in, a fantasy is a fantasy. A game depicting war and it's aftermath I have lived, I play games to loose myself in them, and not relive the horrors that I have actually experienced in the past.