Opening the Console - Windows 8

Malarkey16

Ring of Console isn't a recent mod. I'm wondering whether or not it may have problems with the latest release of OBSE (version 0021). Have you tried equipping the ring using the hotkey method?

No, I haven't tried that. I do have the latest version of OBSE though. A spell mod I have that is supposed to open the console doesn't work either. I've forgotten the name of it, but when I use it a message pops up telling you to press ok when you want to exit the console, and the screen goes darker but typing in a command does nothing. I thought that maybe it was because the console was out of position, but I typed in "coc testinghall" and nothing happened.

You could try OBSE Tester to see if OBSE is working, but it is also an older utility and I can't confirm that it works with OBSE ver0021 myself (I'm still using version 0020). If you don't have any luck using the hotkey trick on the Ring of Console you could try downgrading to OBSE ver0020 and see if it works then (that is unless you have some mods that require OBSE ver0021 and are working properly, which would prove your OBSE install is good). The Ring of Console mod could quite easily work as far as adding the ring to your inventory as that part of the mod would be just using normal Oblivion script and then silently fail when you try using the ring (unless the OBSE portion of the script had some debugging code to warn you about no OBSE).

Are you using the Steam version of Oblivion? There have been reports of people running into trouble getting OBSE ver0021 to work along with Win8.1 (though I don't recall reports of any problems with Win8).

I was going to do what you said, but first I decided to turn off the console spell mod, and try the hotkey method with the ring one more time. It works! The console finally opens! Cheers for the help everyone :) Edited by Malarkey16