Corrupted Disk

Triforce1

Recently, I bought a new graphics card (BFG nVIDIA GTX 295) to replace my older fried card (BFG nVIDIA GTX 8800). Now, I had backed up everything I wanted and did a full format on both my hard drives (I dual-boot XP and Vista). I have as yet only reinstalled XP and all of the drivers and stuff, and have made my way back up to re-installing games. I tried to install Oblivion and got a ton of error messages, mainly one about CRC errors and a corrupted cab file. Well, I ran a DVD check program and found out that (at the very least) my "data6.cab" is corrupted beyond repair. Likely due to all the scratches on my disk. Now, am I doomed to purchase a new disk? Or can another data6.cab be substituted? I don't want to discuss any warez or any of that jazz, as we all know that isn't allowed here. However, (I know I'm treading on thin ice here) can the same file work on any installation? Like, can someone send me their "data6.cab" file and it will work for me? Just wondering, thanks.

-Triforce1

Try copying all the files from the CD onto your computer, then install from there. (But leave the CD in the drive for the Protection Check.)

By doing this you avoid the dirt/scratch problems :)

Thanks for the help. However, none of the above mentioned things worked. I tried several recovery programs, different ways of copying the files, cleaning with toothpaste (??), etc. Nothing. I still get assorted issues, but all say this: "CRC Error: <File Location> does not match the data contained in the cab file. Retry/Abort/Ignore." Upon further digging, it seems to me that specifically my data6.cab file is corrupted. Interestingly enough, I was installing Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold and got the same CRC Error. However, I took it to another computer and it installed and patched through fine. Did the same thing with Oblivion, and got the same error again. So does it mean my DVD drive has a problem? I know my Oblivion disk is corrupted, but is my drive messed up as well? Also, is there a way to get a new disk from Bethesda, or do I have to buy all over again?

Fortunately for you, there are multiple ways of repairing your scratched discs, there are kits and DIY ways of fixing discs.

However, seeing as you already tried the famous toothpaste trick, you'll have to be looking at a disc repair kit.

A quick google will help you along your path of finding such sets.

Now you might think:" But I don't want to waste money on repairing this one disc", I get that thought just fine, but think of the future, you're probably gonna have another scratched disc in the future, and a repair kit will be by your side to best those scratches.

In short: Invest in a repair kit, you'll love it.

This is absurd, I'm at my wits' end. I formated my XP hard drive to start all the way over again. I installed Vista this time and started through installing my stuff. Got all the drivers down, slowly worked through over 70 updates (still wasn't done at incident time) and essential programs like Norton 360 and Google Chrome. Then, figuring that a[nother] fresh OS install would help, I tried to install Fallout 3 (first to Program Files, then to C:\Games). It died of yet another CRC Error. One about something in the data cab files not matching something else in the bsa's. When I choose to abort the install, I came right here for help. Got a BSOD as I writing this the first time. Rambles on about some assorted things, it was gone too fast for me to read. Now, I'm getting a little ticked. I then go through Assassins' Creed, SPORE, and Microsoft Office Home and Student. On the games, I get the same consistent issue. On MS Office, I got something different, but that install aborted too. This means that not a single game I intend on installing, as well as MS Office, will install. So:

CRC Errors on FO3, AC, SPORE, NWN2, and TESIV

Weird error (MD5 or something) on BF2

Basic corrupted disk message on MS Office

Also had an issue with downloading nVIDIA nTune software; something about a corrupted disk

Also having issues with Vista's Windows Update / Ultimate Extras. All download fine, but many fail to install. .NET Framework v3.5 absolutely refuses, no matter how I try

So, I'm dying here. At the risk of sounding long-winded, I'll keep describing my issues / ranting. Playing BF2 awhile back, my game shuddered, froze, and then came back to life. Except, all the textures were really messed up. I had cotton candy buildings, tree helicopters, and camouflage as the sky. I would occassionally get BSOD's with a graphics error description. I so attributed it to a slowly dying graphics card (heat was no stranger to me in that area). A few days ago I picked up a new card to replace this "fried" one. See first post for the exact cards. Wanting the best possible results from this pricey hunk of circuitry, I formatted both my hard drives (WD 150GB Raptors - one for XP Pro, one for Vista Ultimate). I have since then installed XP, and when I could do no good on that front with the CRC errors, I wiped the drive and started over with Vista. Same mind-numbing issue. A few things I do know / can speculate upon:

I have 2GB of system RAM. Minimum requirement for RAM for the new 295 is 2GB. Could this be an issue? I'd love to have, like, 8GB, but I have little interest in a 64bit OS due to modding / CS limitations for TESIV. I'd get 4GB (the limit, right?), but (tell me if I'm wrong) I already have nearly 2GB of memory in my graphics card and that adds up to the 4GB limit.

My HDD's have been heavily worked since I built this rig 3yrs ago. Never done any RAID. I've formatted them more that just a few times. From combing the internet, these high-RPM drives are prone to issues after awhile. Right?

My computer gets hot. Really hot. Would've gone completely liquid-cooled here recently if the price wasn't so danged high. Old GPU ran at around 186F on a cool day, CPU still runs at a relatively OK 140-160F on average per core. An Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 if it helps. Heat was giving me some serious issues with games on the old GPU, infamous nvlddmkm.sys issues abound.

So, that's it. Assuming that none of my disks are actually corrupted (the TESIV disk is the only one with scratches - AC, BF2, and FO3 are practically spotless), what the heck could be causing my downfall? Is it a memory issue? A problem with my HDD's? A temperature problem? Something weird to do with my new super-GPU? Or something I have thought nothing about? Please! Anyone, help! :wallbash: :( :wacko:

-Triforce1

Quick update: I just restarted to let some updates install. And I have been greeted by two error messages. Both are dll loading errors:

Error Loading NVCPL.DLL

Invalid Access to Memory Location

Error Loading C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll

Invalid access to Memory Location

After closing these messages, I am greeted with two notices that RunDLL32 has stopped working, and that the programs has been closed to fix errors. I feel like my computer is falling apart. Someone please help!

I think something in your Hard drive is going bonkers, it won't take long for it to die.

I suggest getting a new hard drive as using your current one will be useless.

my sentiments exactly. That run DL32 thing ended my hardrive!

my rig was 4 years old,I bought a gaming pc.

Good luck!!!

Excellent, that is just my plan. I think I'll get the new PC P&C 910W Silencer; 4GB (2x2GB) of OCX Reaper HPC DDR2 RAM @1066; some new Pioneer disk drive, they run cheap-ish; (2) 640GB 7200RPM WD Caviar HDDs. All for cheaper that my new GTX 295. That should fix my problems, don't you think?