Starfield Extension has been updated to v0.5.7

insomnious

19 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

@VirtualChrisMI'm sorry you're having issues, but you have to realise this problem is unique to your setup. We do thoroughly test extensions before they go live and this did not happen in any test case. 

As Nagev said, you may have misconfigured Vortex. Did you put your mod staging folder for Starfield in the same folder you installed Vortex to? If so, this would have been completely erased when updating Vortex. There are safeguards in the app to prevent this but if this is what happened you managed to get around it somehow. 

To be clear if Vortex was installed to "C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex" and your staging folder for Starfield was at something like "C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\starfield" the entire "Vortex" folder gets removed and replaced during an update to the core application (not an extension update).

My staging folder is at C:\Modding\ModStaging

I use the Mod Deployment method. 

Vortex is in Progrsm Files as you say.

So it’s not my staging folder location. There was another person on Reddit with half his mods being wiped out. So I’m certainly not the only one. 

This makes at least three I know of… https://www.reddit.com/r/starfieldmods/s/kftlHfJv2M

So don’t be so arrogant and dismissive. 

Edited by VirtualChrisM

On 12/8/2023 at 11:35 AM, RayalityGaming said:

WHY are the ESM files in the DOCUMENTS/DATA folder with this "update" (REGRESSION)??? WTF... FIX THIS TRASH

It is installing ASI files in the wrong place. It is installing ESMs in the WRONG PLACE. I find ESMs in the content/data/data folder... FROM VORTEX... Had to move to content/data... and move ASI, which were in the ETHER, to content. SMH.   STILL NOT SURE IF THEY ALL WORK. 

Sorry to say but your rants, like mine will fall on deaf ears. According to them, it’s your fault this happened. LOL. 

I learned a few important lessons from this update… 

1. Never update anything until broad reviews are published

2. The Vortex team is a bunch of smug jerks that think they can do no wrong, and offer no support. And their priorities are whack. This update benefits no one and just requires all FOMOD authors to update their packages for no reason and then creates massive headaches for some users. Where is plugins.txt support?!

3. Vortex is trash. How it could render all mods redundant while erasing them all and not replacing them with anything is a great example. 

Edited by VirtualChrisM

Hello, I'll start of by saying reading program scripts give me a massive headache, so I am sorry if I'm stating anything that's noob or stupid and makes no sense, etc. I am not a modder or anything like that, I am just a user of mods here on NexusMods and I use Vortex. I am currently using the newest version of Vortex and the Starfield Extension as of this writing.

I see in the changes that there was mention of "top-level" folders in mods. I'm assuming that means mods that have "Data" as the highest level folder in the mod zip file? That introduces questions such as:

Most of the mods I've seen have been using that structure, is it incorrect?

Do other mod managers not need that "Data" folder to be the highest folder for them to install modes correctly? There were a couple mods I came across that had the "name of the mod" as the highest folder in the mod zip file.

If that "Data" folder shouldn't be the highest folder in the mods zip file, shouldn't there be a set rule given to all mod makers(that make mods compatible with Vortex), that if they want players to use their mods they should follow "X" set of instructions on how to structure their mod zip file?

It just seems weird that these changes occur AFTER the fact of what I see as the "majority of mod makers" following the method of having the "Data" folder be the highest one in their mods, and now that all needs to change which is breaking "most" mods that I'm guessing a lot of users have been using and may need to reinstall. I for example(due to PC crash issues unrelated to this), now have to either manually install the 100+ mods I use because Vortex with the newest Starfield Extension, is trying to create another "Data" folder inside the main Starfield "Data" folder.

Example: Two mods that are just the main file zipped into a .zip file

Installing the SFPTE-1_2 (GamePassASI-1_8_86) with the newest extension v057, places the .asi file into the main Starfield "Data" folder. Prior to the newest extension, Vortex installed the .asi file to the Root of the main Starfield folder where the Starfield.exe file is located(which is the correct placement for that file, no?).

The other mod: vcruntime140_1.dll, which is for enabling achievements, gets installed to the main Starfield folder where the Starfield.exe is located No Matter what version of the extension is installed.

SO,

Should we just roll back to a prior extension then for the time being until a solidified decision can be made for how mods that need to be specifically uploaded for Vortex users can be implemented? Or do we need to just wait and hope that mod creators update their mods to be handled the new way with the extension? Also, are there currently any thoughts of reverting back to the prior extensions' method of installing mods?

I hope what I have typed above makes sense. As I've said I don't know anything about how all of this is situated to work, but I figured I'd ask question and provide examples. If I said anything incorrect, my apologies for lack of understanding.

Thank you

Edited by MrJayMaul
Added that I am using the newest version of Vortex and the Starfield Extension.

3 hours ago, MrJayMaul said:

Hello, I'll start of by saying reading program scripts give me a massive headache, so I am sorry if I'm stating anything that's noob or stupid and makes no sense, etc. I am not a modder or anything like that, I am just a user of mods here on NexusMods and I use Vortex. I am currently using the newest version of Vortex and the Starfield Extension as of this writing.

I see in the changes that there was mention of "top-level" folders in mods. I'm assuming that means mods that have "Data" as the highest level folder in the mod zip file? That introduces questions such as:

Most of the mods I've seen have been using that structure, is it incorrect?

Do other mod managers not need that "Data" folder to be the highest folder for them to install modes correctly? There were a couple mods I came across that had the "name of the mod" as the highest folder in the mod zip file.

If that "Data" folder shouldn't be the highest folder in the mods zip file, shouldn't there be a set rule given to all mod makers(that make mods compatible with Vortex), that if they want players to use their mods they should follow "X" set of instructions on how to structure their mod zip file?

It just seems weird that these changes occur AFTER the fact of what I see as the "majority of mod makers" following the method of having the "Data" folder be the highest one in their mods, and now that all needs to change which is breaking "most" mods that I'm guessing a lot of users have been using and may need to reinstall. I for example(due to PC crash issues unrelated to this), now have to either manually install the 100+ mods I use because Vortex with the newest Starfield Extension, is trying to create another "Data" folder inside the main Starfield "Data" folder.

Example: Two mods that are just the main file zipped into a .zip file

Installing the SFPTE-1_2 (GamePassASI-1_8_86) with the newest extension v057, places the .asi file into the main Starfield "Data" folder. Prior to the newest extension, Vortex installed the .asi file to the Root of the main Starfield folder where the Starfield.exe file is located(which is the correct placement for that file, no?).

The other mod: vcruntime140_1.dll, which is for enabling achievements, gets installed to the main Starfield folder where the Starfield.exe is located No Matter what version of the extension is installed.

SO,

Should we just roll back to a prior extension then for the time being until a solidified decision can be made for how mods that need to be specifically uploaded for Vortex users can be implemented? Or do we need to just wait and hope that mod creators update their mods to be handled the new way with the extension? Also, are there currently any thoughts of reverting back to the prior extensions' method of installing mods?

I hope what I have typed above makes sense. As I've said I don't know anything about how all of this is situated to work, but I figured I'd ask question and provide examples. If I said anything incorrect, my apologies for lack of understanding.

Thank you

I have the same issue. I can't install mods properly anymore.

Almost all mod authors use the structure Data/Textures, Data/Meshes etc.

When I download a mod and try to install it, the entire Data folder of the mod is dropped into the Starfield Data folder.

So what happens is in my Starfield Data folder there is a Data folder from the mods I am trying to install, which means obviously they are not working. It is installed as Data/Data/Textures, Data/Data/Meshes

So this means I have to copy all the files from the incorrectly installed Data/Data/Textures, Data/Data/Meshes, etc. and drop them into the Data folder, in other words basically doing a manual install!

How can this be fixed? 

Edited by tk112

On 12/10/2023 at 6:32 PM, tk112 said:

I have the same issue. I can't install mods properly anymore.

Almost all mod authors use the structure Data/Textures, Data/Meshes etc.

When I download a mod and try to install it, the entire Data folder of the mod is dropped into the Starfield Data folder.

So what happens is in my Starfield Data folder there is a Data folder from the mods I am trying to install, which means obviously they are not working. It is installed as Data/Data/Textures, Data/Data/Meshes

So this means I have to copy all the files from the incorrectly installed Data/Data/Textures, Data/Data/Meshes, etc. and drop them into the Data folder, in other words basically doing a manual install!

How can this be fixed? 

I am using the GamePass version of the game and do not have the My Games/Starfield/Data folder enabled. Just thought I will point that out first.

I was able to fix my mods in Vortex. Sadly I had to start completely fresh. Here's the steps I used because I wasn't able to delete the old extension version which was somehow also installed with the newest extension version as well. So they both resulted in Starfield showing up twice under the Games section of Vortex. Which somehow caused mods to install twice. The correct way and the incorrect way(data/data/...). So here's what I did and it was annoying but I'm fixed now...

1. My mods are downloaded to a specific folder that is separate from Vortex and the game itself

2. Uninstalled Vortex and deleted the appdata/roaming/Vortex folder

3. Reinstalled Vortex and the newest extension.

4. Pointed Vortex to my download folder for all my mods(in my case I use a shared Google Drive folder since I have a PC and ROG Ally)

5. Reinstalled each mod one by one. DO NOT BATCH INSTALL YOUR MODS. Especially if they have FOMOD in them!!!

6. Vortex will stop you to fix a SINGLE MOD after installing a mod that has FOMOD that was built using the old method/extension/whatever it is called. Monitor your Starfield/Content/Data folder and you should see the extra Data folder that's created if the mod uses FOMOD with the old method of building mods(I'm guessing that's what it is). 

7. The popup from Vortex for fixing said FOMOD will have an option to "Fix" the installation of the mod. If you keep an eye on your Data folder, you'll see it disappear and the mod will be installed properly.

8. Some mods will install in the wrong directory no matter what. From my mods that I have seen, its some of the .asi mods that do this. Just keep an eye out for where they get placed. I've just been moving them after the fact of installation, or just manually installing them into the correct folder.

That is what I did and looked at to make sure that my mods are being installed in the correct directories. 

Edited by MrJayMaul
Added extra info and GamePass distinction.

Just installed it a few minutes ago and got this message:

Failed to enable directory junction

The 'path' argument must be of type string Received undefined
code: ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE
paths 0: D:\Fallout 4\steamapps\common\Starfield\Data
paths 1: undefined
Note: The error was generated by 'Game: Starfield", please report it to the extension author.

Details:
TypeError: The "path" argument must be of type string. Received undefined
    at __node_internal_captureLargerStackTrace (node:internal/errors:490:5)
    at new NodeError (node:internal/errors:399:5)
    at validateString (node:internal/validators:163:11)
    at join (node:path:429:7)
    at path.join (D:\Vortex\resources\app.asar\renderer.js:9799:122)
    at mergeFolderContents (C:\Users\Forrest\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins\Starfield Support for Vortex-634-0-5-7-1701678268\index.js:1392:80)
    at async createJunction (C:\Users\Forrest\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins\Starfield Support for Vortex-634-0-5-7-1701678268\index.js:1418:9)
    at async enableJunction (C:\Users\Forrest\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins\Starfield Support for Vortex-634-0-5-7-1701678268\index.js:1035:13)
    at async toggleJunction (C:\Users\Forrest\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins\Starfield Support for Vortex-634-0-5-7-1701678268\index.js:1004:5)

I hope someone can figure that out. I couldn't possibly.

[Later] It worked just fine until I installed a new mod, at which time, I got the message "Couldn't find Starfield.exe". I have no idea what to do about that.

6 hours ago, Wererommel said:

Just installed it a few minutes ago and got this message:

Failed to enable directory junction

The 'path' argument must be of type string Received undefined
code: ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE
paths 0: D:\Fallout 4\steamapps\common\Starfield\Data
paths 1: undefined
Note: The error was generated by 'Game: Starfield", please report it to the extension author.

Details:
TypeError: The "path" argument must be of type string. Received undefined
    at __node_internal_captureLargerStackTrace (node:internal/errors:490:5)
    at new NodeError (node:internal/errors:399:5)
    at validateString (node:internal/validators:163:11)
    at join (node:path:429:7)
    at path.join (D:\Vortex\resources\app.asar\renderer.js:9799:122)
    at mergeFolderContents (C:\Users\Forrest\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins\Starfield Support for Vortex-634-0-5-7-1701678268\index.js:1392:80)
    at async createJunction (C:\Users\Forrest\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins\Starfield Support for Vortex-634-0-5-7-1701678268\index.js:1418:9)
    at async enableJunction (C:\Users\Forrest\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins\Starfield Support for Vortex-634-0-5-7-1701678268\index.js:1035:13)
    at async toggleJunction (C:\Users\Forrest\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins\Starfield Support for Vortex-634-0-5-7-1701678268\index.js:1004:5)

I hope someone can figure that out. I couldn't possibly.

[Later] It worked just fine until I installed a new mod, at which time, I got the message "Couldn't find Starfield.exe". I have no idea what to do about that.

Hi,

We've just updated the Starfield extension to 0.6.4 and contains a fix for your problem.

Please see this forum thread for details.

Thanks,

insomnious

On 12/12/2023 at 5:02 AM, MrJayMaul said:

I am using the GamePass version of the game and do not have the My Games/Starfield/Data folder enabled. Just thought I will point that out first.

I was able to fix my mods in Vortex. Sadly I had to start completely fresh. Here's the steps I used because I wasn't able to delete the old extension version which was somehow also installed with the newest extension version as well. So they both resulted in Starfield showing up twice under the Games section of Vortex. Which somehow caused mods to install twice. The correct way and the incorrect way(data/data/...). So here's what I did and it was annoying but I'm fixed now...

1. My mods are downloaded to a specific folder that is separate from Vortex and the game itself

2. Uninstalled Vortex and deleted the appdata/roaming/Vortex folder

3. Reinstalled Vortex and the newest extension.

4. Pointed Vortex to my download folder for all my mods(in my case I use a shared Google Drive folder since I have a PC and ROG Ally)

5. Reinstalled each mod one by one. DO NOT BATCH INSTALL YOUR MODS. Especially if they have FOMOD in them!!!

6. Vortex will stop you to fix a SINGLE MOD after installing a mod that has FOMOD that was built using the old method/extension/whatever it is called. Monitor your Starfield/Content/Data folder and you should see the extra Data folder that's created if the mod uses FOMOD with the old method of building mods(I'm guessing that's what it is). 

7. The popup from Vortex for fixing said FOMOD will have an option to "Fix" the installation of the mod. If you keep an eye on your Data folder, you'll see it disappear and the mod will be installed properly.

8. Some mods will install in the wrong directory no matter what. From my mods that I have seen, its some of the .asi mods that do this. Just keep an eye out for where they get placed. I've just been moving them after the fact of installation, or just manually installing them into the correct folder.

That is what I did and looked at to make sure that my mods are being installed in the correct directories. 

Thanks for the help. I'm also not installing in My Games/Starfield/Data but the root Starfield folder as with all other BGS mods (common\Starfield\Data).

For me, I have the same issue of seeing 2 extensions 0.4.1 and 0.6.4. Both are enabled. I am worried about disabling one that it will ruin my modlist.

I have run into a new problem though: my entire common\Starfield\Data folder is missing. All mods are gone but Vortex is still showing them as enabled.

I assume the newest update screwed something up? Last night everything was fine.

I think I will just stop using Vortex and switch to MO2. I am getting tired of this.