2013 Import CAT Biped

SonAnima

1 hour ago, DiodeLadder said:

I seriously doubt any of the 1st person gun animations are mocaps (you can read about all the quirks in my last post).

Here's no-mocap anims done by me :

I've created all the animation keyframes manually myself.

It's unlikely they did a separate first-person animation. Why should they torture themselves? They simply changed the camera position and exported an incomplete skeleton. Animations after mocap probably need to be edited. Because the bones that were used in the mocap were hardly the fo4 game skeleton. For example, Mixamo is full of mocap animations that were ported to the fo4 skeleton without editing the animation of several humerus bones. They look bad. But the movements themselves in this library without mocap are basically impossible to implement. The vanilla animations are actually very well done. They are no worse than mixamo, and maybe even better. They are smooth, each bone is movable. You can't do this manually.

You never know DiodeLadder they could have had all mocap animations done by General Greivous from Star Wars that would explain the weird arm twisting you see in the animations 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0oknb6fX04

In all seriousness we will never truly know how they made the animations as none of us was there when they made them. Another thing to note is that not all modelers and animators have knowledge of firearms and how they function as if you ask around/watch videos of sound designers and weapon modelers many of them will say that the only range time or time that they have with any real firearms is when they go to the gun range and handle guns with their own money. Im pretty sure that there are many who work in the gaming industry who never seen a day at the gun range let alone ever held a gun or seen one in person. That would explain the sloppy animations that you sometimes see in games and especially the horror that is the fallout 4 Assault Rifle when it comes to weapon design.

Edited by SonAnima

13 hours ago, South8028 said:

It's unlikely they did a separate first-person animation. Why should they torture themselves? They simply changed the camera position and exported an incomplete skeleton. Animations after mocap probably need to be edited. Because the bones that were used in the mocap were hardly the fo4 game skeleton. For example, Mixamo is full of mocap animations that were ported to the fo4 skeleton without editing the animation of several humerus bones. They look bad. But the movements themselves in this library without mocap are basically impossible to implement. The vanilla animations are actually very well done. They are no worse than mixamo, and maybe even better. They are smooth, each bone is movable. You can't do this manually.

Well, you can import the first and the third person anims in 3DS and examine them yourself.  They are not even close.  In first person, you can cheat a lot of movements by using camera tricks, or some off camera shenanigans.  Take a look at the 1st person sprint animation for deliverer inside 3DS Max, for example, and tell me that's a mocap.  That's a pretty extreme example of a camera trick, and an interesting one to study (or just hilarious to watch, lol).  I've actually imported all those gun animations, and I think I know what I saw.  They are a lot less elegant than you think from looking at them in game.

SonAnima, I'm another one of those guys who have not operated guns in real life.  I've made efforts by watching a lot of real life shooters to include details in my animations, but hopefully those are good enough.  

Edited by DiodeLadder

2 hours ago, DiodeLadder said:

SonAnima, I'm another one of those guys who have not operated guns in real life.  I've made efforts by watching a lot of real life shooters to include details in my animations, but hopefully those are good enough.  

Your animations are great. The fact that you did your research shows that you cared which is way better than bethesda. Hopefully my joke earlier didnt offend you and if it did Im sorry as that wasnt my intention.

8 hours ago, DiodeLadder said:

Well, you can import the first and the third person anims in 3DS and examine them yourself.  They are not even close.  In first person, you can cheat a lot of movements by using camera tricks, or some off camera shenanigans.  Take a look at the 1st person sprint animation for deliverer inside 3DS Max, for example, and tell me that's a mocap.  That's a pretty extreme example of a camera trick, and an interesting one to study (or just hilarious to watch, lol).  I've actually imported all those gun animations, and I think I know what I saw.  They are a lot less elegant than you think from looking at them in game.

You can change the animation in 2 clicks by changing the graph in the Curve Editor. For example, making the animation sharp, fast, or sloppy, sweeping, “alive”. You can create a spline action graph yourself and selectively adjust the graphs. I'm not a professional user, but I know that the capabilities of 3ds and MotionBuilder are very large and many scripts are focused on batch builds. Fast-paced studios like bgs won't sit around for hours manually making every animation. Or the studios they ordered animation packages from. They made thousands of hours of mocap, batch cut, edited, exported, sold... No one sat there and prayed for every animation. )

20 hours ago, SonAnima said:

Your animations are great. The fact that you did your research shows that you cared which is way better than bethesda. Hopefully my joke earlier didnt offend you and if it did Im sorry as that wasnt my intention.

Thank you SonAnima, and no offense taken at all.  🙂

Edited by DiodeLadder