Vampire Castles and Coffins! (Forebears' Holdout)

DarkArmanVampireLord

I am a real-life writer, and my whole life is all about vampires, thanks to modders we can experience a dream-like life in Skyrim, at least I do. Since I love Vampires more than anyone in the world, I always roleplay as a vampire and become the most powerful being in Skyrim, thanks to the awesome mods, here are the mods I love for becoming a vampire darker than darkness.

Better Vampires

Better Vampire Lords

Beast resistance for Vampire Lord.

True Vampire Lord
Cold Heaven, etc.

As you all know a Vampire Lord must have a great coffin and a super dark castle as well but sadly we don't have so many options concerning that matter, we have fantastic mods such as Castle Vladimir, Castle Orlock from Oldrim and the list goes on, however, they are either lack the dark atmosphere suitable for a vampire lord or their location would allow enemies to get to the castle without the slightest effot.

--- Castle Volkihar is the castle I love the most but the castle is located in one of the worst locations on the map, a vampire castle has to be atop a super high mountain which means it would be nearly impossible for others to get to the castle but the vampires themselves, or it needs to be super well hidden, like vampire mage lair mod so I have some ideas I hope the modders would take into account/ be interested in...

--- A: Vampire Lord needs a super dark and eye-catching coffin where they can sleep during the daytime so the game desperately needs a great vampire coffin mod that would allow players to see their vampire sleeping in them.

--- B: A well-hidden crammed crypt within the castle where the coffin from part A is hidden.

--- C The cave Forbears' Hold Out can be a super great hideout for vampires, I am surprised that none has noticed how great that location is for a great vampire mod, of course, the Prophet quest must be completed for the mod to be set into motion.

--- D How about moving castle Volkihar atop a very lofty mountain? this can be a quest when the Dawnguard main quest line is completed, the new king/queen of the Volkihar clan decides that the castle is exposed to the outside world and the castle needs to be teleported to somewhere inaccessible for the rest of the world but vampires, let's be honest having castle Volkihar atop of one of the highest mountains of Skyrim would be exceedingly cool, of curse the body of the mountain must give the player that the castle is extremely fortified.

Note: I can also write a new vampire quest line for vampire mods if modders are interested, sadly I don't know how to create/make mods I wish I were able to do that.

Edited by DarkArmanVampireLord
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey Arman, love your enthusiasm for Vampirism (though, it was funny reading that you think you love vampires more than anyone else :P). As a vampire enthusiast and long-term roleplayer myself, I wanted to offer some thoughts on your post.

Firstly, I agree that we would benefit from mods that allow the player character to have sleeping animations for coffins. It would certainly increase immersion. The mod 'Go To Bed' (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4224) lets players lie down on beds before sleeping. I'm not sure if coffins are included but it may be worth looking into in case you haven't.

And it would be fun to have more well-designed vampire themed castles. However, in case you were unaware, there are a couple of mods that already fulfill what you are asking for (at least to some extent):

- Raven Castle SSE (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12300) - adds an entirely new worldspace in addition to a massive castle. The only issue is that the SE port hasn't been updated to match the latest LE version so some of the cool extra events (ballroom event & defending the castle from Werewolves) don't work properly like they do in the LE version. The LE author has no plans to port it to SE and the SE uploader has stopped modding. So while the mod is functional, the SE version is missing out on some cool features. Perhaps the focus could be to find someone reliable to port the latest LE update to SE. Either way, you may wish to check it out if you haven't already.
- Lawbringer - Guardsman (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/67003), an extension of the original Lawbringer mod, allows the player character to claim different enemy locations across Skyrim for various factions with the Volkihar Vampires being one of them. Among them is Forebears' Holdout. While it doesn't make any changes to the space as far as I'm aware, it would likely allow the player to use it as a 'rest-stop' (or even a base depending on your needs), with friendly Volkihar Vampires occupying it.

Regarding vampire quests - that's something I feel we definitely need more of in Skyrim (ones that DON'T just focus on Serana, but flesh out other vampires and themes). Old Blood (and Old Blood Scripts Fix) extend the vampire storyline after Dawnguard and is of good quality but we could definitely use more. Well written, quality voiced vampire-themed quest mods are lacking in Skyrim, partly because quest mods are harder to make in general. I would love a vampire quest mod that's in the same tier as mods like Sirenroot, Project AHO, Forgotten City and Beyond Skyrim Bruma.

I'm afraid I heavily disagree with your points on Castle Volkihar. I don't think vampire castles necessarily have to be on mountains and Castle Volkihar's location is great. There are vampire castles or strongholds in plenty of media that aren't atop high mountains. Castle Volkihar's location suits the theme and makes sense lorewise - it's in a remote area away from civilisation so the vampires don't have to worry about people. People are generally afraid to go near because they fear the area is cursed (the boatmen say this if you ask them to give you a ride to the castle). Also with all the advanced magic they have access to at the Castle (Feran Sadri's quote) and the ability to conjure storms in Elder Scrolls Lore (e.g. Skaal tribe on Solstheim, Psijic Order, Harrowstorms in ESO), it's not a stretch to think that the Volkihar Vampires can do the same to defend themselves (or learn to) if they need to deter enemies from approaching. They can also use Illusion magic to hide it from view and there's already a thick mist obscuring the area. That's my headcanon. Harkon's court have successfully stayed hidden and survived for literal ages at the Castle. Vampires are quick travellers both in Elder Scrolls Lore (Vampire Lords gliding, bat travel if you consider ESO's Greymoor) and in other literature (e.g. "the dead travel fast" quote from Dracula, vampires 'flitting' in the Darren Shan novels), so getting to civilisation for the Volkihar when they want to shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think Castle Volkihar should be moved at all and it would be a terrible idea to try. Making castle mods on mountains could be cool though but I think if anything, it's worth focusing on having Raven Castle updated first.

Hope you are well.

Edited by PopDog77