How do I seperate skyrim versions?

JaxonHellsing

the mo profile is version sensitive. this means you can use different profiles for a sepecific game version but not vice versa without running into severe problems.

you cannot use mo profiles to configure or administrate different game versions at the same time. profiles are meant to work with a specific version of a game on one pc with one steam account.

a warning: you will probably run into game setup issues with the os and steam and your steam account trying to maintain different game setups based on different versions/updates of the same game at the same time.

i would not recommend to try that.

8 hours ago, xrayy said:

the mo profile is version sensitive. this means you can use different profiles for a sepecific game version but not vice versa without running into severe problems.

you cannot use mo profiles to configure or administrate different game versions at the same time. profiles are meant to work with a specific version of a game on one pc with one steam account.

a warning: you will probably run into game setup issues with the os and steam and your steam account trying to maintain different game setups based on different versions/updates of the same game at the same time.

i would not recommend to try that.

I use Vortex, so I can't say anything about the mod manager in this case. But I can say there's no problem (related to steam or windows) running multiple versions of the game. The only 'risk' is one version overwrite .ini files and plugins.txt of the other. I have a "main" version (1.6.640), and sometimes I use other 3 to develop and test mods, so before I have to rename directories (in documents and %localappdata%) to keep my main version intact then rename directories back when I finish. The reason I separated my game installation is to avoid steam update breaking my game. Only my 1.6.1130 is inside steam library, all other 3 are outside the steam library.

Edited by epinter

since a few days ago i was not aware of the "root folder management plugin" for mo2. it seems to enhance mo2 /vfs management capabilities beyond just beth games... . the modding future seems to look brighter as i thought 😉. im not sure if and how this works for version management.