Buildable water

RoNin1971

Does anyone know if its possible to create buildable water. "Actual" water, that is. The Drinkable / swim-able kind. Not just "looks like".

I've been working on a few pieces to create a "Waste Water Treatment plant". 2 of those contain water. I've spend days to get it to look acceptable, but I still fail to make it "act" like water.

One of the 2 (unfinnished) objects (the 2nd being slightly visible on the left):

52537461-1704739396.png

The water slowly moves from the center outwards, in this case. The other one has a rapid flow in a straight line (but I'm not completely satisfied with the way that one looks)

Anyway, looks ok, but although you're not supposed to jump in, you can.

& then I'm walking on the bottom, breathing air, etc.

I tried several things, including a big collision of type water, material water, but that does nothing. at all.

Other methods & water from the game turn the object into a non-buildable / non-static object.

I took al look at other mods promising "water" but they only seem to look like water.

So, I either get it to work, but then I can't create a recipe, or I can create a recipe but it doesn't act like water...

At some point I would love to create a buildable pool which you can actually swim in, but is it possible at all? If so: how? (or if you know a mod that has swim-able water, just point me there)

Edited by RoNin1971
their=there

Hi, with the "Settlement Objects Expansion Pack" you can create water that behaves like the vanilla water in game. You can drink it, swim in it, etc. Even if this mod might not have all parts you may need (e.g. it has no round parts) it perhaps points in the right direction for you.

Posted (edited)

I'll have another look at it. Been a while since I checked SOE.

Although, it used the same "multibound" objects as the game does, which I can not combine with my model, and save as SCOL (the water is not counted as a 'static')

When I combined it using nifskope, the water is ignored/invisible.

That's pretty much the dilemma I'm encountering. Within CK I can't join them into 1 object, if I do it outside CK it doesn't work. At least, the stuff I tried.

edit:

Yes!

I just knew I was missing something. Now I know what, I feel stupid for overlooking it so far, but anyway: It should be an activator. Assign a watertype & tadaaa!

Now I just need to get my collision right. (There is a vanilla watercircle1024, but that's twice the size I need. But it works perfectly with that one, beyond the size)

My own water object still has the "water" collision, but now I'm walking on it ... (I can drink it though 🙂 )

Edited by RoNin1971

19 minutes ago, mkh97 said:

Seems you might have found a solution already, but the Settlement Activity Markers and Build Your Own Pool mods does also have some craftable water.

In part, at least.

I got my own water to act as water, but still need to test it with the object & static collisions. I fear it might regard the entire thing as water, or something like that.

& I still need to figure out how to get the 2 levels in there.

So I'm still looking for working solutions (so thanks for the pointers) & keep my progress posted 😉

I was right about the entire thing being regarded as water. Which is a bit of a problem, but I could still live with that if I must.

There can be only one level of water sadly, but that's not a big problem, as I can still fake it, since the other ring is to small to take a dive.

My only real trouble at the moment is the collision. I tried a lot of Material/Type combo's for the collision, starting with the logical choice water/water, but nothing works. I always end up walking on top of the water, instead of swimming... Any info on that part would be much appreciated.

4 hours ago, LarannKiar said:

Does the .nif have the BSXFlags Articulated and Havok? Or maybe the BSMultiBoundOBB is missing?

Yup.

I created an exact copy of the watercircle1024, except mine is 500 & has a custom generated collision. Set to water, it even shows up in the same color in CK.

Turning the camera inside the collision it looks like murky water ... but I just get to walk on (or against) it... 🥲

It "must" have something to do with the collision (I think), but I'm clueless.

Pretty much solved it 🙂

52537461-1705431671.png

I was right about there being something about the collision.

Both the material & type should be set to water. The material for the water splash effect on contact & the type is the only one making the view murky, with murky water (when camera is inside collision bounds)

Even the wiki lisiting the collision types says water doesn't work (=solid) but that's not entirely true.

I started fidling around with nifskope and the exported rigidbody from 3DS.

I changed the following:

Collision Response: RESPONSE_REPORTING

Collision Response 2: RESPONSE_SIMPLE_CONTACT

Motion System: MO_SYS_DYNAMIC

Quality Type:MO_QUAL_MOVING

Not sure if that's the solution, but it works 😉 (including the same problem of keeping those heads above water 🥲 )