Suddenly very long loading times when loading plugin in the Creation Kit

Lately i discovered very long loading times up to 10 minutes long loading times, for a very important plugin (ESP) im currently working on.

FO4Edit fired up just fine, it was just the CK taking VERY long.

Now my first routine was to delete record references i lately added to the plugin.

These record and record references where no overrides and total standalone records.

I decided to make a copy of the plugin and began to delete certain references for some test runs. Important to say that i almost deleted every reference, till the plugin was almost empty (visually) and no records, entries, object categories were present. The CK was still horribly slow to load... what is going on i thought ...

I decided to import like 80000 records into a new esp file. Since i had a feeling that deleting records in the very past caused the issue. Since i lately deleted alot of cell and world references.

After some time i was done porting the records into a new plugin thanks to FO4Edit (blessings to all contributors of that handy little tool).

Now the CK took normal to load just like always, we are talking about 80000+ records.

I decided to share my investigation because i have NO IDEA why?! My guess is... when swapping world references in the CK persistent records loose their "persistent" flag. When restarting the CK it will let you know via message box. When checking with FO4Edit it is easily present and fixable, the CK sometimes fixes the issues when starting it another time. Now i lately discovered that when checking FO4Edit there was no issue eventhough the CK said some references have been moved from 0000000 to 0133769 or something. I knew what i have changed before so i deleted theses references via FO4Edit fired up the CK and no issues, no message box no nothing,. I did the changes in FO4Edit afterwards manually fired up the CK again and it worked. So for some reason the CK showing me issues that FO4Edit was not able to represent ...

I know the CK is tricky but its a very powerful and good tool if you know where to search for and use your perception. Most of the problems can be solved.

Back to this topic. This was the first time, i would describe as ghost edits, where present. I assume, the plugin has a certain treshold for deleted references or something. At some point the CK goes down to its knees and takes super long to load. You have no other choice as to copy all your progress into a new, clean plugin, be it esl, esp or esm.

I have also the feeling its tied to GMST record files. I lately added game settings not present in the CK or the base game of FO4 and/or DLCs. Latery i decided to delete these references. Later, and this one is the next example of ghost edits, FO4Edit showed me a reference/override for Fallout4.exe. Which i never saw yet, and it was present in the message log when FO4Edit creates reference of any plugin used. The override reference that FO4Edit showed me however was not present for the record it showed me. I decided to clean copy/paste the record into a new plugin, and guess what, no conflict, no override, no ghost edit.

Now does anyone have a explanation for this?

So im currently asking myself is deleting standalone reference (not overrides) so clever?

Edited by Qrsr

Are all your other plugins are load fast in the Creation Kit? How many Master files the .esp has?

You can edit an .esp however you like in FO4Edit and in the CK but take into account that these programs aren't absolutely perfect. 🙂 Unfortunately I've seen both the CK and FO4Edit too breaking a plugin file actually.. And large binaries are more vulnerable.

If you work with large files and suspect the .esp has a partially broken data, you need to examine it before you continue on working on it, preferably in FO4Edit as the CK is more likely to crash or slow down if the .esp has issues.

Edited by LarannKiar

LarannKiar, thanks for the quick reply. I never got a crash but loading times are super long ONLY for this one file, EVER. The fix was very easy, but i would be interested in knowing what causes it. I assume as i said, that deleting files by right clicking in FO4Edit and click "Remove" certain records will cause sooner or later a bloated or corrupt or broken or not just yet properly working plugin. I deleted thousands of records, and yet still i assume it was because of some edits in worldspace (WRLD) under persistent tab. I will keep an exe on it yet i narrowed it down a bit. Later.

How many Master files the .esp has?

ALL main files (vanilla + DLCs) but it normally takes not more than 1 min. Very rarely up to 1 min. I also noticed that script tied references, and world space reference suck up serious loading times even with a very powerful rig. Thats fine, but 10 times the normal time is weird not to say crazy.

I think the best way is to split the work from now on into multiple sister files and merge it from time to time into one big file. Working with the CK is always tricky i know that but its masterable. FO4Edit is very handy to check problems and get rid of them, but in this case i think that little tiny feature of ultimately purging records is the culpit. I dont speak for flagging records "delete" im speaking of totally removing them from existance (visually) by using FO4Edit features. Anyway fixed. 🙂