Some Settlements not Activating

jjb54

I have about 4 - 5 settlements that will not get "active", as in no Quest or such to get them going?

I tried restarting the game 4 times, fresh and clean ... and I still have the same issue.

I do not have any mods that interfere with this, that I am aware of. As the only new mods are Quest - New Lands.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and it's random: County Crossing worked then next game it did not. The Slog, same. Worked then did not, as with other settlements that need activation quests.

The only Settlements that work consistently are: Sanctuary - Red Rocket - Tenpines - Starlight - Homebase - and Coastal Cottage .... the rest are Hit & Miss.

With few exceptions, settlements with pre-existing settlers don't always provide a quest upon arrival. Sometimes the settlers don't ask for assistance until a later visit. Usually, the quest will trigger on the second visit (provided you traveled far enough away between visits), but not always. Now, if you've visited a given settlement multiple times and the settlers still don't give the quest, then there's definitely a problem. A mod conflict is the likely culprit, but if you add/remove mods on a regular basis, there's a chance some default Fo4 files are corrupted, necessitating a fresh install of the game.

Thanks - no, this is with a clean game and I do not add / remove mods while game is active. 

. o O ( I learned the hard way many moons ago. ) 😉

I will try the "revisit" ... and see. I just started a brand new game today.

Oh, I wasn't talking about adding/removing mods during an active play through. I don't do that either, even if the mod is considered "safe" to install/remove mid game. I'm talking about adding/removing mods between play throughs, but on the same Fo4 installation. Sometimes, when a mod is removed, the changes it made to the game don't revert to the default values. If this happens often enough, the only solution is to reinstall the entire game. I had to do that about a year ago. I'd been testing so many mods that, eventually, I couldn't run a 100% vanilla game without first reinstalling Fo4. It takes a lot of add/remove, add/remove, add/remove mod testing for that to happen, though, so if you're Fo4 installation is reasonably fresh and you haven't been adding/removing tons of mods, you're probably good.

Anyway, if additional visits don't solve the problem, look for conflicts with anything settlement and/or quest related. It doesn't take much to break the settlement system, unfortunately.

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm not sure I'm ready for a clean install ... been there done that with Skyrim SE ... and this last Dec. I "lost it" with Beth / Steam over ridding my DO NOT UPDATE ... and doing it anyways. They totally F'd up my Skyrim. :-{