We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Workshop Televisions should project light (and play radio)

BlazeStryker

Okay. There are no television broadcasts in the Commonwealth. Fair enough. That said, even without VotW, people sit and look at the glowing screen with... a test pattern. It even gives Happiness to settlements! Man...

The electronics clearly work, as do the speakers, so why not rig them to pick up and play radio? Also, that's a great big light tube that survived the nukes. If those glow, they should light up a room.

So... the title, again.

I've been testing this for a couple of hours at least and it's doable, but it has an issue. The radio function works regardless if the TV is powered or not. I tried with some keywords without success. The best solution so far is to start both radio and tv turned off and to avoid interacting with the TV set if it's not powered. About the light - all I can do is increase radius and FOV, which makes it close to what you want.

Edit: Does the TV give happiness? Because there is no smiley face when you select it in the workshop menu. If it doesn't, I think I can make it give a bonus to happiness.

Edit2: Which radio station should the tv sets be tuned to? Classical, Diamond City or Radio Freedom?

Chances are that mods that assign happiness to comforting/social Workshop items for settlements will assign it to televisions. For the first issue, I'd have to ask something silly like if it was possible to have the "IsARadio" tag removed/applied based on whether the television's switched off. I know that all the televisions in the Commonwealth (and Nuka World/Far Harbor) evidently were left on when the nukes launched, never mind that CONELRAD rules (all stations were to be shut down save for the Conelrad frequencies in the event of nuclear conflict) were in place for over 120 years before the War. This is the only reason I could think of that they all show the test pattern when you restore radiant power to them, and that last is vanilla.

There are constructible objects, like the Weight Bench from one of the DLCs, that gives bonus to happiness. It's not an Activator like the TV and radio, it's a Furniture. In constrast to TV and Radio, the Weight Bench has two actor values added:

"WorkshopResoucreObject", with the amount of 1

"WorkshopRatingBonusHappiness", with the amount of 2

If I add these to the activator of the television, I get the smiley face just below the component requirements in the workshop menu. So if the TV already has such bonus without adding the actor values, it is well hidden behind the scenes. Adding the actor values is easy enough and it wouldn't hurt adding more happiness, right?

IsARadio flag is what enables/disables the radio function. And it seems that this is not influenced wether it has power or not. If the radios is turned on by default, you'll hear it even before constructing the television set, you'll hear it while the tv is unpowered. That's why I propose a compromise, to start  both tv and radio function turned off. Then avoid interacting with the tv until you supply it with power. I don't know if there is a better solution, sorry.

Heck, no. Having added utility add further happiness makes me smile in recognition of Bethesda being forced to make sense, for a change. For the rest, I fully agree. I do figure that detailed instructions about this should go in the Description tab, naturally...

If I understand correctly, you are saying I shouldn't add the actor values and leave it as it is.

Also the question stands - To what frequency should the radios be tuned to? Diamond City Radio, Classic Radio or Radio Freedom? I don't want to create new constructible objects and flood the menu with television sets. Well, unless you want the three stations available. And another question - Should the prewar tv sets from the DLC play radio as well?

Honestly, the Prewar sets from the DLC should play as well, yes. The default station should be Diamond City Radio, and radio tuner programs will do the rest. One might go so far as to suggest tuners. Oh, Reneer gave me permission to share the address for the downloading of his public mods, including his Radio Mod...

https://www.psychfox.com/public_mods/

...Only the batch download link works but you get the whole set that way. Just dive into the zip, dig out what you like (the Radio Mod folder has all the editions, too!) and enjoy.

Don't overdo the happiness bonus. Like I did, a bit, with a wall clock. On request by a user I added a happiness bonus to it. I had no idea how much would be good at the time so I gave it 5 happiness.

Didn't sound as much. But you can easily add 5 or more of those to any settlement, and giving 25+ bonus happiness feels like a cheat to me. So I've been frequently thinking of reducing it to 1 or 2, but haven't done so (yet). Mostly because I don't want to suddenly nerf it down for those who already use it.

Go by the Tootsie Pop commercial.

"A wah-one, a two... three! *CRUNCH* ... Three." Honestly, you can add happiness adders of every kind and you actually have to have some sort of boost to reach 100. The more variety, the better to avoid 40 shops, you know?