BG3 - Game keeps crashing a few min after loading - not sure what mods are causing?

MrHoratio

16 hours ago, itsSunnyC said:

I'm having the same issue as of 3 days ago, after some troubleshooting I've concluded that in my case, the crash is due to RAM. My PC has 16GB of RAM currently and when loading up the game it will take the RAM from 7GB to 16GB. At 15.6GB or so, the game crashes with no error from Windows or anything else. Just letting this here in case anyone else might find it useful, try monitoring your RAM usage to see if it peaks to its limit before the game crashes, cause it might not be the mods themselves causing issues, although mods could be increasing the amount of RAM the game uses, compared to a vanilla game.

I think its also an issue with RAM. I'm in the Circus and the game takes about 5+ minutes to load when in game. When it gets close to loading all of the things in, the game instantly crashes. It has to be an issue with the fact that act 3 runs poorly on most machines anyways, and with the addition of many mods, the game just cannot function properly. 

It has to be with act 3 though. Cause i had the same issues with Fps and Loading in act 2 and had 0 crashing issues, but the amount of things in act 3 probably causes it to fail. 

I did the exact test and i found out that at 98% RAM usage the game instantly crashes. Tried it again on very low settings and it also crashed. 

Seems like the only fix is to buy more RAM lol...

Edited by crazypanda546

7 hours ago, crazypanda546 said:

I think its also an issue with RAM. I'm in the Circus and the game takes about 5+ minutes to load when in game. When it gets close to loading all of the things in, the game instantly crashes. It has to be an issue with the fact that act 3 runs poorly on most machines anyways, and with the addition of many mods, the game just cannot function properly. 

It has to be with act 3 though. Cause i had the same issues with Fps and Loading in act 2 and had 0 crashing issues, but the amount of things in act 3 probably causes it to fail. 

I did the exact test and i found out that at 98% RAM usage the game instantly crashes. Tried it again on very low settings and it also crashed. 

Seems like the only fix is to buy more RAM lol...

I'm currently on my 2nd playthrough in Act 2, the crashes started when exploring Moonrise Towers and the nearby locations (my first crash was in the Morgue). In my case, it loads pretty fast but the more I use it, the more the RAM increases until it peaks and the game crashes.

I managed to do an entire 1st playthrough with mods and no crashes but I will admit I added more mods when starting my 2nd playthrough 😅 I'm currently trying to uninstall some mods to hopefully lower the game's demands on the RAM and see if I can finish it, but it's difficult cause deleting some mods makes the save not open.

I did read other posts on outside forums (like Reddit) of people having the same problems, some posts go back months, so I'm starting to think the game might have a memory leak problem. In the meantime, yeah, we'll have to find workarounds I guess 😅

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, itsSunnyC said:

I'm currently on my 2nd playthrough in Act 2, the crashes started when exploring Moonrise Towers and the nearby locations (my first crash was in the Morgue). In my case, it loads pretty fast but the more I use it, the more the RAM increases until it peaks and the game crashes.

I managed to do an entire 1st playthrough with mods and no crashes but I will admit I added more mods when starting my 2nd playthrough 😅 I'm currently trying to uninstall some mods to hopefully lower the game's demands on the RAM and see if I can finish it, but it's difficult cause deleting some mods makes the save not open.

I did read other posts on outside forums (like Reddit) of people having the same problems, some posts go back months, so I'm starting to think the game might have a memory leak problem. In the meantime, yeah, we'll have to find workarounds I guess 😅

Also have the exact same problem right now, in the exact same place. I've been trying to fix it all day 😞

Did uninstalling mods help? I'll do a runthrough and uninstall all the mods that won't cause too many issues. When I get to moonrise it starts crashing around 5-10 minutes after loading the save, after running perfectly fine yesterday.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:18 PM, ZoesDragon said:

Also have the exact same problem right now, in the exact same place. I've been trying to fix it all day 😞

Did uninstalling mods help? I'll do a runthrough and uninstall all the mods that won't cause too many issues. When I get to moonrise it starts crashing around 5-10 minutes after loading the save, after running perfectly fine yesterday.

So far, I haven't uninstalled all the mods or enough mods to make a difference, because like I said, I'm trying to uninstall the ones that won't break my save. So I'm uninstalling in little batches or one by one, and if deleting one causes my save not to load, then I have to reload the mod it and try again with a different one, etc, so it's a real pain and slow process. The last time I tried it (yesterday I think) it was still crashing.

My brother's save, which doesn't have any mods, seems to run fine, the RAM goes up but not enough to peak and crash, he even managed to do an entire fight without a single crash. My save crashes after loading and moving my party 10 steps 😅

I'll keep trying to remove mods and will update the game to Hotfix #23 to see if it helps.

Edit: I just read the Hotfix #23 changelog and one of the bullet points says "Optimised Poltergeist auras to reduce memory usage and prevent an out-of-memory crash." fingers crossed it helps with this issue 🤞

Edited by itsSunnyC
Added an edit with additional information

So I just caught up with you guys- a couple things to add:

1. I got 64 RAM- I STILL crash and have what I believe is the same situation as you.

2. I thought it was mods but I haven't updated the game or mods since I started my playthrough 1 1/2 - 2 months ago.

3. I specifically am getting it at Moonrise towers.

4. It typically hits after 5 minutes of logging in- it'll play fine- then I'll see my mouse "stutter" for about 3 seconds followed by CTD.

I almost want to update my game to the latest hotfix- but I know alot of mods were removed from the mod collection QOL since my version and am 99 percent sure I'll lose this playthrough.

Looks like you guys are hoping the fotfix will work. Got any ideas for me?

Hopefully you guys are good to go!!

I've updated the game to the latest version. I only get crashes in certain areas, like the Iron Throne, and the area near the Blushing Mermaid. Gortash's battle. it could be more, I haven't finished Gortash yet.

The game crashes every 3-5 minutes. I've tried changing graphics settings, reducing party members, etc. but nothing has changed significantly. I have about 150 mods in my game.

This is my third moded playthrough. Only this time I encountered this problem. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 11:25 AM, neomy2 said:

well, same problem, even when I do nothing, the game will crash itself after few minutes 😮‍💨

I timed it and I can only play for 8 minutes before it crashes!! And the last time I tried to play, none of my mods were registering as being in the game even tho I always deploy before I play.